Why become a member? ×

Pine bodied Streamer style build

Jimothey

Just getting started on my next build a pine bodied Streamer style 

The blank is all glued up just got to sand it flat, template done aswell 

I’m going to buy the neck off eBay as this is going to be another budget build.....

Hopefully the finished build will look a bit like this.....,

But it won’t have a 2 part bridge.....

Also I’m going to be remaking the body on my Ibanez GSR205 modification build to a Fortress style as the body shape and size is too small (It doesn’t feel right to play) but I’ll resurrect that thread and post the progress on there

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 2

The neck I’m thinking of buying is a full paddle flat headstock and I want to do a 2+2 tuners, so do I need to angle the headstock? I don’t really want to use string trees 

What would be the best way of doing it? my thinking is modifiying the neck like this or is there an easier way?

516A0561-EB9E-4E95-A4D0-E80E9F2A89A5.jpeg.556c919194ee53fd96159ed024e84ddc.jpeg

Edited by Jimothey

49 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

I'm rubbish at scarf joints so can't offer any advice, other than I can't see why it wouldn't work.  As you say, you would need to veneer or put a headstock plate on to hide the join.

I look forward to seeing how this develops :)

All I’m concerned about is the strength of the joint? Also It just seems like a lot of work instead of fitting a £3 string bar but I think it will look better tho??...

6 hours ago, Jimothey said:

All I’m concerned about is the strength of the joint? Also It just seems like a lot of work instead of fitting a £3 string bar but I think it will look better tho??...

Well, in theory, a well glued titebond joint is as stong as solid wood.  However, that does assume a perfect joint, well clamped during gluing.  

The thinner headstock (15mm ish) leaves a significantly shorter scarf length than the more usual neck position so I'm not sure.  It should be fine.....but

It's a lot of trouble to go to, though.  What's the issue with a Fender type tree?

Actually, re-engaging brain - this is a 2+2?

If so, the angle over the nut should be sufficient anyway without a tree.  The angle of the G and D should, theoretically, be the same as over the E and A on a typical Fender headstock, which don't need a tree...

4 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

It’s a lot of trouble to go to, though.  What's the issue with a Fender type tree?

4 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Actually, re-engaging brain - this is a 2+2?

If so, the angle over the nut should be sufficient anyway without a tree.  The angle of the G and D should, theoretically, be the same as over the E and A on a typical Fender headstock, which don't need a tree...

Yeah the issue is that as I’m doing a 2+2 having a fender type string tree I think will look odd I could use a bar type string tree which would look ok 

Thats what I thought but I just wanted to check 

3 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

Yeah the issue is that as I’m doing a 2+2 having a fender type string tree I think will look odd I could use a bar type string tree which would look ok 

Wal's are 2+2 with a string retainer. Hipshot do a nice 2 or 3 string retainer and there are cheap copies on ebay which are good quality, but much cheaper.

Edited by Bigwan
  • Thanks 1

On 11/3/2018 at 13:25, Jimothey said:

Just getting started on my next build a pine bodied Streamer style 

The blank is all glued up just got to sand it flat, template done aswell 

DB25F721-7ED5-496C-AFFB-EF253A47C04D.thumb.jpeg.6fb5a1e353578854651d4dc2b776b41c.jpeg

I’m going to buy the neck off eBay as this is going to be another budget build.....

B7723DA4-BD55-41E5-B223-9DB649EC6667.thumb.jpeg.542aeeff35930ecdd5c068d4e742cd0c.jpeg

Hopefully the finished build will look a bit like this.....,

DAFCE470-2936-4230-95EC-2A41FFB5C7AD.jpeg.b7dc890dad6e611e86bbc167f9a3ea1d.jpeg

But it won’t have a 2 part bridge.....

Also I’m going to be remaking the body on my Ibanez GSR205 modification build to a Fortress style as the body shape and size is too small (It doesn’t feel right to play) but I’ll resurrect that thread and post the progress on there

Oh I'm liking the look of this!

• Thanks 1

Yes it is, Chinese in origin but it appears to have been despatched from Leicester (it arrived two days after ordering so I’m guessing it was in the same time zone...). I am super impressed with it, the fret work and fret finishing is superb. For less than £30 it’s unbelievable. There is a tiny ding on the back of the neck but I can’t really feel it and it certainly won’t effect playability. On a Custom Shop instrument it wouldn’t be acceptable, but for £28 I think I can live with it! 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F112367277709

(the price has risen slightly since I bought mine).

Pick ups....there are a pair of SimS pick ups on here for sale.

Yes, they are relatively expensive but you do get 15 permutations on the H/P/J combinations. If the plan is to keep the bass, it's money well spent.

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/315214-sims-super-quad-4-string-pickups-pair/?tab=comments#comment-3424594

Edited by TheGreek

29 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Pick ups....there are a pair of SimS pick ups on here for sale.

Yes, they are relatively expensive but you do get 15 permutations on the H/P/J combinations. If the plan is to keep the bass, it's money well spent.

Thanks but Ive already got the pickups I inherited them off one of my mates who just swapped them out of his ibby bass 

I will be keeping the bass as it’s not going to be worth anything resale (like all my basses)

57 minutes ago, PaulGibsonBass said:

Yes it is, Chinese in origin but it appears to have been despatched from Leicester (it arrived two days after ordering so I’m guessing it was in the same time zone...). I am super impressed with it, the fret work and fret finishing is superb. For less than £30 it’s unbelievable. There is a tiny ding on the back of the neck but I can’t really feel it and it certainly won’t effect playability. On a Custom Shop instrument it wouldn’t be acceptable, but for £28 I think I can live with it! 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F112367277709

(the price has risen slightly since I bought mine).

Because I want the full paddle maple fretboard with blocks I think it works out to be just over £35 but it’s coming from China tho but I can wait.....

Edited by Jimothey

15 hours ago, PaulGibsonBass said:

There is a tiny ding on the back of the neck but I can’t really feel it and it certainly won’t effect playability.

If you put a few drops of water on the ding, put a damp cotton cloth over it then gently use your steam iron to get it nice and hot, you'll probably be able to steam the ding out.

Edit: That's assuming it's still bare wood :)

Edited by Norris
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Norris said:

If you put a few drops of water on the ding, put a damp cotton cloth over it then gently use your steam iron to get it nice and hot, you'll probably be able to steam the ding out.

Edit: That's assuming it's still bare wood :)

This is a great thing to remember - you can also do the same with a soldering iron if you can't get a steam iron in but you just have to be a bit more careful. I've used a soldering ireon a few times and it is actually quite surprising how big a dent you can remove!!

20 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

This is a great thing to remember - you can also do the same with a soldering iron if you can't get a steam iron in but you just have to be a bit more careful. I've used a soldering ireon a few times and it is actually quite surprising how big a dent you can remove!!

I was gutted when I dropped a tool on the top of my meticulously prepped guitar, creating quite a large dint. It steamed out eventually and required only light sanding afterwards. It is surprising.