Why become a member? ×

Precision bass

JPJ

So after years of playing active five strings, and after watching Nick Fyffe ripping it up with the Temperance Movement, I have serious gas to add a nice original looking precision to the stable. I don’t want to pay the ridiculous F prices, so I’m thinking Squier. VM’s look nice but most seem to have the added J pickup? Classic vibes look better but in my opinion blocks and bound just looks wrong on a P bass. 

My question is, what are the other sub £500 options for a good standard P bass with a rosewood ‘board?

Edited by JPJ

Check out the Vintage V4 reissues.

Can be got for £230 new and are honestly fantastic basses.

The only possible thing to have do is to have someone look at the hum at seriously high volume, but even at under £300 theyre amazing for the money. Come as standard with wilkinson tuners, bridge and pick ups and lovely finish.

The original Classic Vibe Squier series was a 60s version, not the 70s block and bound. They came in Fiesta Red and Sonic Blue - there have also been reports that there are a few Olympic White ones knocking around. Brilliant basses. 

Also keep an eye open for an SQ series 80s Squier. Truly amazing basses. 

My backup is a 2011 Squier VM P.  Rosewood board, Arctic white with black plate.

Fitted a Kiogon solderless loom with CTS pots and Switchcraft jack socket, all topped off with a DiMarzio Model P pickup.  Was fitted with a Hipshot Bridge but now reverted to the original BBOT. Looks, sounds and plays great 

6538FBD5-C220-4187-97F0-34945978F3FE.jpeg

Edited by Deedee

On 14/03/2018 at 00:01, krispn said:

The Matt Freeman is a great bass!

Agreed! Not that easy to find now, but when they come up they tend to go for very decent prices. Excellent quality for very little cash :)