Why become a member? ×

WITHDRAWN Overwater Contemporary J Series Custom Build
£2350

Oldman

Price reduction: This my Overwater Contemporary J Series Custom Build.

I ordered the bass 16th December 2014 and took delivery of Serial Number 14-3823 30th April 2015.

This was going to be a keeper, a bass to be cherished, but I’m not playing as much as I thought I would be. So I got to thinking, streamline the collection. This is far too good a bass not to be played and although it looks lovely on its Hercules wall hanger in my ‘Shed’, it’s time to offer it up as a feeler to gauge interest.

The custom specification price, at the time, including options, was £3,055.00 with a lead in time of nearly 5 months.  Ordering this specification now, would be the thick end of £3,500.00.

If you are looking for a Blacker than Black Bass, with more black, without the wait, It could be yours for the princely sum of £2,350.00.

It is in immaculate condition with no blemishes, dings, dongs, scrapes or scratches having been gigged maybe 10 times in its short life but rehearsed with at home on a regular basis. I re-strung with DR Black Beauties about a year ago and still have the old set as spares. Hiscox Hard case is standard issue with Overwater and the all-important Certificate of Authenticity.

I would consider a Part Chop to ease the pain, maybe an acoustic Bass or a fretless P (no lines). I’m not tempted by heads and cabs as I have enough, but a Mesa Walkabout might hit the spot. Its cash I would prefer.

Specification as follows:

Instrument Type:

Contemporary J Series Custom

5 Strings

35” Scale

Neck:

Wood/laminations:         One piece Maple

Nut spacing:                       10mm

Bridge Spacing:                 19mm

Fingerboard:                      Ebony

Fretted:                                               24 Frets

Binding:                                Ebony

Position Markers:            Block Inlay – Black Pearl

Profile:                                 Standard J5

Body:

Core/Main Wood:           Swamp Ash

Top Wood:                          Flame Maple

Electronics: John East Flat response U Retro – 3 Pot

Pick up Type:                     Overwater 5 soapbars

Pickup Placement:           Standard Contemporary position

Jack Socket/XLR:              Edge mounted locking jack

Additional Switching:      None

Bridge Type:                      Overwater 19mm Black

Machine heads:                                Hipshot Ultra-Lite Black

Scratchplate:                      None

Finish:                                  Trans Black Satin matching headstock

String type:                         DR Black Beauties

Playing Style:                     Finger style high action about 4mm at the 12th fret

I will take some up to date snaps and post over the weekend.

In the wood.JPG

Nearly there.JPG

Outside in the sun.JPG

Edited by gary mac
Status Change

5 hours ago, fleabag said:

What's a feeler ?

Is it for sale ?

Feeler typically is where someone puts something up for sale and isn't 100% they want to or need to sell. They've gone to the effort of making a sale post so yes it will be for sale, but it's a feeler so he's not really going to entertain an offer of 3 bananas and a squier strat. 

A feeler isn't aimed at those folk- what s feeler does is let any folk who want that specific bass know it's available and for sale. Oldman wants a buyer - he doesn't want bananas, and he doesn't want to eat a few bananas to find a buyer

1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

Feeler typically is where someone puts something up for sale and isn't 100% they want to or need to sell. They've gone to the effort of making a sale post so yes it will be for sale, but it's a feeler so he's not really going to entertain an offer of 3 bananas and a squier strat. 

A feeler isn't aimed at those folk- what s feeler does is let any folk who want that specific bass know it's available and for sale. Oldman wants a buyer - he doesn't want bananas, and he doesn't want to eat a few bananas to find a buyer

You hit the spot Luke. It is for sale. More snaps later today.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A “Just gave it a Shiny o” bump. Sensible offers and a partial trade might ease the pain. Save a shedload of money against buying new and waiting on the 5/6 month build time......

Thanks for looking

I would like to move this Bass to a nice home so I can consolidate my (small, but perfectly formed) collection, I will look at serious offers and a part chop. No Basses though unless it’s a Acoustic 5.

There that should do it 🤔

Edited by Oldman

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 27/03/2018 at 17:27, TheGreek said:

Can I suggest that "you'll be sorry"...I sold my 4 string and ended up buying it back. By far the best jazz I've ever played...

Yep, now withdrawn. I played it yesterday, it sits well, sounds immense in Passive mode and by golly it looks amazing. No more hot flushes for me...