Why become a member? ×

Compression - what's all the fuss about?

Al Krow

Compression - what's all the fuss about?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Did anyone notice or comment when you switched your compressor off mid-song?

• Yes - one person (or more) said that something sounded different about the bass part way through.
    • No - no one batted an eye lid!
    • I don't use a compressor but I'm interested in the result anyway.

On 10/03/2018 at 10:08, T-Bay said:

I love my spectracomp, I use it as it adds a ‘fatness’ to the sound that I like. Would anyone else notice? The drummer would IF he could hear it but I doubt very much that anyone else would. But the overall sound is a collective of several small adjustments you make, tone controls, pedals, amp settings. If you dialled them all to the other end then I think people would notice. So it’s worth having every little bit how you want it.

Me too. Wouldn't dare turn it off. Would anyone notice? Who knows.

Well we've had 40 respondents so far to Kevin Dean's poll in the effects section and 90% have said they use compressors so far.

I'd always thought it was a nearer 50:50 split for those using and not using compressors on the forum?

But if the poll is correct (and not just reflective of a lack of interest on the part of folk who don't use compressors!) it's definitely a surprise (to me anyway) :)