Why become a member? ×

I played through a Laney......... and I liked it!

Deedee

Visited a rather well known Nottingham rehearsal room tonight for the first time.

The bass rig provided was a Laney head and cab.  I wasn’t too sure what to expect (I think my last dabble with a Laney was a 65 watt Linebacker Guitar amp back in the mid-nineties).

Suffice to say I was mightily impressed.  Great punchy sound and (dare I say it 👀) dispersion from that low cab.

My MIJ P bass straight into the amp.

Really impressed, so hats off to Laney 👍

FDF99486-583F-4849-8DA7-C647700714CD.jpeg

Edited by Deedee

11 hours ago, naxos10 said:

I've got an RB... amp head in the garage - must get it out and have a play:D

I must admit to being completely ignorant to model names etc but this particular combination sounded great to my ears.

The NX410 4x10" cab that I had was better than any Trace or Ashdown equivalent cab that I ever owned. Just a pity that no one knows about them or gives them a try because of the name. MArine grade ply, Celestion neo drivers. Really well made, solid cabs and a lot lighter than their counterparts

• Like 1

I gigged a borrowed Laney rig about ten years ago and it was pretty kick-a$$ to be fair. I think it was the same head as pictured above (300w / graphic EQ / compressor) with matching Celestion loaded 4x10 and compact 1x15 - very impressive. I can't remember why I'd borrowed it, maybe my Trace combo at the time was in for repair or something but I was very happy with how big and tight it sounded and as such always stuck in my mind..

7 hours ago, Delberthot said:

The NX410 4x10" cab that I had was better than any Trace or Ashdown equivalent cab that I ever owned. Just a pity that no one knows about them or gives them a try because of the name. MArine grade ply, Celestion neo drivers. Really well made, solid cabs and a lot lighter than their counterparts

Yep, I must admit I’m guilty of never even considering them previously 😞

I know a couple of guitarists who swear by Laney's guitar amps, and I've always thought some of their bass stuff is better than it often gets credit for. My last solid state amp was a Laney RB combo, and considering its price point it was a great bit of kit. If only they'd made a smaller valve head for bass, I might have stuck with them!

On 17/03/2018 at 08:14, Beer of the Bass said:

I'm not intimately familar with Laney's range over the years, but is that definitely a bass cab?  The basketweave tolex and cloth grille looks like a lot of their guitar stuff over the last few years. 

That did cross my mind actually.  I’m not sure which model the cab was, but it did say ‘04’ in rather large writing on the rear panel.

Laney gear has always sounded good when I`ve used it, either bass or guitar amps. I had an LC50 guitar amp head and it was immense, really loud, much smoother than a Marshall, worked really well for me as I was the rhythm guitarist in the band so provided a good platform for the spikier sounding Marshall to work over.

• 2 weeks later...

Strangely enough, I played through my first Laney bass amp today. A 15 Richter cab with a 300W RB7 Richter 2x10 combo. The fan was a bit louder than I would have liked and the bullet tweeter was as useless as bullet tweeters usually are. On the other hand, the controls were well thought out and it was easy to get a good sound out of it. Overall, I enjoyed the experience and I'd be happy to use it again. It seemed solidly made and well finished and looked the part.

After several years of using Ashdown stuff, my main gig rig is now a Laney R500H and two R410 cabs, and I'm more than happy with it. Works very well for me and gets the sound I'm afterimageproxy.php?img=&key=4b3806f48250f55a, I find there's so much volume and headroom to spare even playing with a very loud drummer It's barely breaking a sweat live, immense ability to fill a venue with bass and the tone is more my cuppa tea than my previous rig too :-)

29101535_10214839333635434_7295299597784

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
5 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I used to gig a Laney Probass in the 90s.

Same model as Krist Novoselic used on Bleach. Still got it. Very basic compressor, lots of tone shaping options. Three effects loops (count 'em!)

1097064954_DoubleStack.thumb.JPG.3a6fce77895784a68302862816c7f009.JPG

I had one of them! Lost it :( 

• Sad 1