Why become a member? ×

Oooer - not for me

fleabag

51 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

You really are a funny old lot. The Fender Precision, and its stable mate, the Jazz, provoked pretty much those same reactions from the staid, fuddy-duddy bass players of the day when they were announced. I don't think many, if any at all, were saying 'Now there's a nice-looking bass'. The terms of reference were very different; folks had the idea that 'bass' meant 'upright double bass'. Now, it seems, 'bass' means 'Fender', and any deviation from the terms of reference seen as 'ugly'. As an object of beauty in its own right, I'd put up very few bass guitars; even very few instruments at all. Bongo, anyone..? Firebird..? Seriously..? Amorphous slabs of painted wood; nothing graphically exciting in any sunburst (maybe, perhaps, a violin finish on a semi-acoustic, if I stretch a bit...). Still, it's healthy, I suppose, to pitch tar and feathers on anyone trying to break the mould, but those wishing for innovation and progress seem hard to please, somehow. Yes, it's ugly. In exactly the same way, and for exactly the same reasons, as most basses are ugly.
You really are a funny old lot.

fair enough but the proportions are just plain wrong, a fender P is just right somehow

Image placeholder title

Image result for fender precision bass

Edited by skidder652003
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, skidder652003 said:

fair enough but the proportions are just plain wrong, a fender P is just right somehow

Image placeholder title

Image result for fender precision bass

Somehow..? Neither of those look much like a guitar at all. This is a guitar that could lay at least some claim to beauty...
40664250762_74887c0f6d_o.jpg
'The eye of the beholder' and all that, of course, but there's really nothing 'right' about any Fender, or similar; they're all amorphous lumps of painted wood; as much resemblance to a guitar as a Salvador Dali fob-watch.

2 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

'The eye of the beholder' and all that, of course, but there's really nothing 'right' about any Fender, or similar; they're all amorphous lumps of painted wood; as much resemblance to a guitar as a Salvador Dali fob-watch.

The Fender P shape only looks right because you've had years to get used to it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Exactly. If Fender had released the P-bass with that Tensor shape at the time, then Tensor now released the P-bass shape, I'm pretty certain the comments would be the same: 'It's fugly', just because it's not the familiar shape.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Loved the look of a Strat and P bass at first sight. Still think there is something wonderfully futuristic looking about them, especially the Strat.

I bet there are a whole bunch of "look what I built home "luthiers"" out there that are now saying "see mine wasn't that ugly after all"......hideous monstrosity, even my browser didn't want to load the page properly, i had to have two or three goes before I got to see it! I wish I hadn't bothered now

6 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

You really are a funny old lot. The Fender Precision, and its stable mate, the Jazz, provoked pretty much those same reactions from the staid, fuddy-duddy bass players of the day when they were announced. I don't think many, if any at all, were saying 'Now there's a nice-looking bass'. The terms of reference were very different; folks had the idea that 'bass' meant 'upright double bass'. Now, it seems, 'bass' means 'Fender', and any deviation from the terms of reference seen as 'ugly'. As an object of beauty in its own right, I'd put up very few bass guitars; even very few instruments at all. Bongo, anyone..? Firebird..? Seriously..? Amorphous slabs of painted wood; nothing graphically exciting in any sunburst (maybe, perhaps, a violin finish on a semi-acoustic, if I stretch a bit...). Still, it's healthy, I suppose, to pitch tar and feathers on anyone trying to break the mould, but those wishing for innovation and progress seem hard to please, somehow. Yes, it's ugly. In exactly the same way, and for exactly the same reasons, as most basses are ugly.
You really are a funny old lot.

What about these designs ?

sdc11903.thumb.jpg.1d9366f8cad88b5a7d5ff8c0192183f8.jpg

IMG_20180309_172022.jpg.314bb399db8b0c2554fb4b9bea67b8f5.jpg

zeta_whole_lg.thumb.jpg.260ad09fc73106ecb3683c3c24da04da.jpg

kleinbass.jpg.1afc6989e2d8bd94fdd7a5121a5eaad4.jpg

5aa2b5ee8f2c5_PEGASUS.DX(1).jpg.cad086b9da97a584b851907d7473aa83.jpg5aa2b6fec0aa6_12000829_1219947058032182_119500646848032560_o(1).thumb.jpg.29319458c479822eef55089b195fce20.jpg

5 hours ago, skidder652003 said:

Image placeholder title

What I see is the headstock from a Peavey Grind, top horn from a precision, lower horn from a Stingray, cut down scratchplate from a Gibson Grabber, bridge from an Ibanez ATK and a single jazz pickup mounted there for some reason but it has the one thing that I always wanted - access to the 25th fret.

That one detail makes up for it looking like the picture was taken using a fisheye lens and a bad perspective

Sometimes the whole is not even close to being greater than the sum of its parts