Why become a member? ×

Oooer - not for me

fleabag

You really are a funny old lot. The Fender Precision, and its stable mate, the Jazz, provoked pretty much those same reactions from the staid, fuddy-duddy bass players of the day when they were announced. I don't think many, if any at all, were saying 'Now there's a nice-looking bass'. The terms of reference were very different; folks had the idea that 'bass' meant 'upright double bass'. Now, it seems, 'bass' means 'Fender', and any deviation from the terms of reference seen as 'ugly'. As an object of beauty in its own right, I'd put up very few bass guitars; even very few instruments at all. Bongo, anyone..? Firebird..? Seriously..? Amorphous slabs of painted wood; nothing graphically exciting in any sunburst (maybe, perhaps, a violin finish on a semi-acoustic, if I stretch a bit...). Still, it's healthy, I suppose, to pitch tar and feathers on anyone trying to break the mould, but those wishing for innovation and progress seem hard to please, somehow. Yes, it's ugly. In exactly the same way, and for exactly the same reasons, as most basses are ugly.
You really are a funny old lot.

• Like 1

I'm pretty conservative in my bass-taste but I don't think they look too bad. What puts me off a bit is the way that the 'upper bout' (i.e. the horns) is wider than the section where the bridge is. But I can honestly say that they're far less offensive to my eyes than some of those giant woody 6 strings with curly horns that look like they were designed by/for elves.

• Haha 1