Why become a member? ×

Fixing superficial scratches

BassAgent

A previous owner of one of my basses has tried to clean it but apparently used the wrong thing for it, since there's superficial scratches all over the body and headstock. Is there any way to kinda get rid of those scratches? They look like they're just in the clear coat.

Superficial scratches are really easy to make using T-Cut.  

All you do is put the T-Cut on an old cloth and scour round and round and the cloth scratches more than the T-Cut gets rid of them.

To get rid it's harder. T-Cut can do it sometimes, but a soft pad on a power drill or buffer is going ro be the best way.  This is a great example why my heart is filled with dread with questions like, "which polish should i use for my Nitro bass?" 

1 minute ago, Grangur said:

Superficial scratches are really easy to make using T-Cut.  

All you do is put the T-Cut on an old cloth and scour round and round and the cloth scratches more than the T-Cut gets rid of them.

To get rid it's harder. T-Cut can do it sometimes, but a soft pad on a power drill or buffer is going ro be the best way.  This is a great example why my heart is filled with dread with questions like, "which polish should i use for my Nitro bass?" 

Thanks! It's a poly bass though :) 

2 hours ago, Norris said:

I have used Meguillar's ultimate compound to finish-polish nitro. I think it may be a bit less aggressive than T-cut. Applied with an old cotton t-shirt then polished off with a microfibre cloth :)

This is the best way...and do it by hand. 

Meguiars Ultimate works well (smells good too) and if you want mega levels of gloss and more importantly an even nicer smell ;) you can follow up with their ultimate polish too. That's a finer version of the ultimate, so it's still mildly abrasive - does little for removing scratches, but gives an extra shine. 

I also really like the Menzerna range of compounds, they seem to perform a bit better than Meguiars, but are less available without buying online.

As others have mentioned take care not to burn through round the edges, but usually the factory poly is very thick, so quite difficult to burn through with this level of compound.

Edited by Manton Customs

2 hours ago, Manton Customs said:

Meguiars Ultimate works well (smells good too) and if you want mega levels of gloss and more importantly an even nicer smell ;) you can follow up with their ultimate polish too. That's a finer version of the ultimate, so it's still mildly abrasive - does little for removing scratches, but gives an extra shine. 

I also really like the Menzerna range of compounds, they seem to perform a bit better than Meguiars, but are less available without buying online.

As others have mentioned take care not to burn through round the edges, but usually the factory poly is very thick, so quite difficult to burn through with this level of compound.

Yes indeed. Menzerna are great, but Maguiars are easily available in Halfords etc.

I find the ultimate polish gives that new guitar shine so I tend to leave it at the ultimate compound on an older finish.