Why become a member? ×

Cheap but well padded gigbag with neck support - recommendations please!

Wilco

Both my Westone & Bass Collection basses have angled back headstocks, & I'm looking for a decent gigbag for them*. Neck support is a must because of the headstock angle & 20mm+ padding & in black would be preferable. As neither bass is that expensive, I don't want to spend silly money accordingly - £40 or so.

Can anybody suggest something suitable as I've not found too much on t'internet.

(*When I say them I don't really mean the Westone. Me take a fretless out for public performance? Talent shortfall right there! 😆)

I've used one of these for a couple of years now  https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Bass-Guitar-Foam-Case-by-Gear4music/C87

It's still pretty much as new, zips working fine etc. and is really easy to use.

Strong and light with more protection than a gig bag but not that much bulkier. Has a neck support too, but you may need

to check it will accommodate the headstock angle on your basses. ( If you are interested I could measure the depth for you )

On 3/12/2018 at 14:23, Wilco said:

Great suggestions - thanks guys.

In the end I plumped for one of these:-

https://www.dawsons.co.uk/armourdillo-bass-light-case?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsLPztqLd2QIVG2cZCh0wNAdeEAQYAyABEgKd4PD_BwE

The right price & the image gave me comfort that the headstock was going to get decent protection. 

I have a similar case, one for bass and one for guitar. They do a great job. The downside is that they're not comfortable to carry for any distance... but they weigh nothing and offer pretty decent protection, so not bad at all.

I prefer my Fusion F1, but it cost about 3x more... 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

To bump this, how have you got on Wilco?

I'm looking for a case for my Rickenbacker but want to keep it all as light as possible, the Armadillo has all I need, but I do tend to walk around with my bass on my back for long distances, so any insight would be great

2 hours ago, tayste_2000 said:

I'm looking for a case for my Rickenbacker but want to keep it all as light as possible, the Armadillo has all I need, but I do tend to walk around with my bass on my back for long distances, so any insight would be great

Worth having a look at this auction, I've got two and they're great quality cases being sold at clearance as the company is out of business I think:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Blake-Bravo-Guitar-Case-Brand-New/323345917152?hash=item4b48eb24e0%3Ag%3AbhYAAOSwcs9a7Jv4&_sop=15&_nkw=blake&_from=R40&rt=nc

BIN prices are now £48 which is still less than half the original price. There's a thread somewhere on here.

1 hour ago, lemmywinks said:

Worth having a look at this auction, I've got two and they're great quality cases being sold at clearance as the company is out of business I think:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Blake-Bravo-Guitar-Case-Brand-New/323345917152?hash=item4b48eb24e0%3Ag%3AbhYAAOSwcs9a7Jv4&_sop=15&_nkw=blake&_from=R40&rt=nc

BIN prices are now £48 which is still less than half the original price. There's a thread somewhere on here.

Tbh looks a bit bulky for my needs but thanks

20 hours ago, tayste_2000 said:

I actually have three now - one for each of my SGC's.

To be honest, they haven't been out much as my band has fallen over recently.

I'd say they were good value for money though & definitely work well with angled headstock basses. The only thing I'm slightly wary of is that the zip feels a little flimsy, so I am being careful when opening & closing them.

My SGC's are relatively cheap instruments, but my Maruszczyk's are in £100 much stronger gigbags. If I had a Rick, I'd probably be happier investing in a more expensive & even more padded gigbag I think. 

These are sensational. I bought one 3 days ago, to go with my identical original TP that i've owned for  for over 15 years. This is the first time

i've seen this case back up for sale in quite a few years. Must be NOS

They were extremely expensive for a non solid case.  £60 - £70 or more when TP were selling them. But they're the toughest non solid case i've seen. You can stand on 'em

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tribal-Planet-Hard-Gigbag-Case-GX40-New-Length-110cm/183223862096?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fleabag said:

These are sensational. I bought one 3 days ago, to go with my identical original TP that i've owned for  for over 15 years. This is the first time

i've seen this case back up for sale in quite a few years. Must be NOS

They were extremely expensive for a non solid case.  £60 - £70 or more when TP were selling them. But they're the toughest non solid case i've seen. You can stand on 'em

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tribal-Planet-Hard-Gigbag-Case-GX40-New-Length-110cm/183223862096?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I had the acoustic guitar version of that case many years ago, extremely high quality for a well priced semi rigid gigbag with tons of protection. Good job too as I sold it with my acoustic and the couriers bounced it around various depots for a week, guitar arrived back with me and then eventually to it's new owner completely unscathed. Pretty bulky though, moreso than the already chunky Blake gigbag.

• Like 1

Yeah they're bulky, but that becomes handy when you get your bass cables , a zoom B3, zoom PS, spare cables,  Boss Vocalist, Boss PS, all stashed in the one case.

They're the most handy bass case going