Why become a member? ×

PRS John Mayer errrrm Strat.

12stringbassist

• 1 month later...

Several exceptionally capable guitarist friends of mine (Rob Harris, most notably) have raved about this guitar having tried it. I have a Sadowsky, a 1963 Fender and numerous other Strats in my collection, and I see one of these in my future. 

• 4 months later...

Im torn on this guitar. I'm a big mayer fan but I'm not convinced on the PRS strat. 

Also the signature series can be such a bind. I was stuck with a Clapton strat for years, it was great to play but far harder to sell. 

I'd be worried about buying in at Les Paul level for a strat. And you've got to be hard pushed to take a second hand PRS over a 70s strat or two really nice strat plus dulexs. 

Is is it too pricey? Am I better off waiting until mayer moves to Ernie Ball and then getting a signature silhouette?!

I mean, who honestly cares? As if PRS are the first to release a Strat copy, and actually they released a Strat at the request of one of their multi-platinum selling artists (bearing in mind he had a PRS style signature before this).

If he's happy, and it's a good guitar, then all good. He played all sorts last time I saw him, PRS, PRS Strat, old Fenders, Gretcsh. He's a guitarist who's sold a ton of records, he'll jump at any opportunity to work with cool companies and get free guitars.....who wouldn't!

Si

+1 about that Gibson Jimi Hendrix strat. If we're purely talking looks here, that thing was hideous. 

In any case the reviews of this I've seen that go beyond the cosmetics seem very positive, and it certainly seems to be selling well. Plus, I find it very reassuring(or at very least I like to think) that there are still people out there that are willing to spend the big bucks on a guitar based on the overall quality and how it plays/sounds/feels, rather than on 'traditional/iconic' looks and any prestige associated with it's brand...

Time will tell though- I'll be interested to see what the secondhand prices are like on these in a couple of years!

• Like 1

I was quite impressed with how they sounded on youtube videos.  More convincing that the 'strat' sounds on the regular shaped models like the 509 and 513.  But two and a half grand is crazy money for that sound and playability.

• 2 weeks later...