Why become a member? ×

FT/FS Custom 6 strings bass 32" scale - €650 shipped

Matte_black

Hello! I guess it's not against rules if I post one of my basses for trade. These are the specs:

Quarter-sawn Ovangkol neck with dual action truss rod, set-in
5 pieces American Cherry/Maple body with "CT Tribute" body shape
Makassar fingerboard with 21 frets (can defret it if the new owner wants me to do it)
Chrome hardware, bridge with adjustable spacing
Bartolini Narrow Soapbar pickups
Hand rubbed lacquer finish

This bass is really nice for both slapping or soloing. Medium weight (about 4.5kg if I remember well) and the medium scale makes it very easy to play.
It's perfectly balanced both standing and sitting and cuts the mix very very well. The Low B is perfectly balanced with other strings and is nice and growly.
I've built this bass for my stock but since I have some problem with my left hand I keep playing 4 strings basses.
I'd like to trade this puppy with a nice amp: Acoustic Image, Ashdown Little Giant etc. - effects or cash can be involved to make things fair for both buyer and seller. A good Digitech BNX, a Boss GT10B or things like that can always come in handy! Drop me a line and let me know what you have.
If you want to take a look to my builds you can reach my myspace page, the address is in my signature ^_^

EDIT: due to the amount of message asking for a sale price... €650 shipped for BCers! :)

Edited by Matte_black

They're actually wooden nails. They make the neck joint even stronger... but the neck is GLUED IN, so the nails are only a plus. This body shape isn't everybody's cup of tea, I understand it... but if you go over the look you find it's extremely comfortable and balanced.

Edited by Matte_black

I'm in Italy... shipping is €50 (insured, 3 days delivery) but I'll cover this if I find an interesting trade. When I sell my stock basses I always offer a 24 hours approval period but, after selling about 10 basses worldwide, no one ever wanted to return his :)
If it was a 4 I'd be keeping it. But sixers aren't my thing. If it doesn't find a new home I'll probably sell it on eBay sooner or later... but thought it could be nice to give BCers a chance to take it without much hassle.

[quote name='Matte_black' post='333389' date='Nov 20 2008, 08:21 PM']They're actually wooden nails. They make the neck joint even stronger... but the neck is GLUED IN, so the nails are only a plus. This body shape isn't everybody's cup of tea, I understand it... but if you go over the look you find it's extremely comfortable and balanced.[/quote]
Wood nails are a very sound construction technique of course so no dis intended. I like the body shape and I'm sure the bass is a little cracker. Good luck in selling it.

Well those are nice,being Your First Creations If I got correctly.
not my cup of tea as You suggest ,but Promising work,i'm sure you will get even more elegant shapes with the time.
I think i saw one Of your basses somewhere else too.

..Se tu non abitassi Lontanuccio ,sarei stato cmq curioso di provarlo ,un 32 -.-
Magari ci faremo un fischio un giorno .. :)

I'm not a builder with 20 years of experience but have many body shapes available. Many peoples keep asking for this shape as it looks pretty, is balanced and pretty eye-catching. When I've built Patrick Djivas' bass (in the avatar) he didn't want the "hook" upper horn but he ended up being very happy with the hand carved scroll. As I said, it's a matter of taste. I've built only a bunch of basses but, for their owners, they're something that could never be replaced. So, even if my stuff isn't for everybody's taste, I'm happy :)

hey just want to say that's a beutiful, beutiful bass will definatly be following this one. :) Just out of intrest how much would it cost for a 6 string version of your second CT tribute, the scroll on that one is absolutely spot on, as good as Carl himself. Anyway good look with the basses and I like the wooden nail idea, seems to make sense to me at least.

[quote name='Matte_black' post='334682' date='Nov 23 2008, 12:40 AM']Thanx a lot for your kindest words! 6ers cost €900 but shape, scale, number of frets, woods etc. can be chosen by the customer.[/quote]
Headless? :) Graphite reinforced, through body neck of quartersawn maple and purpleheart with mahogany wings and a carved heel? Thick ebony fingerboard? 36" scale? 26 frets? 5 strings? Delano SBC pickups? Passive? Neck profile the same as a Smith 5?

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='334797' date='Nov 23 2008, 12:57 PM']Headless? :) Graphite reinforced, through body neck of quartersawn maple and purpleheart with mahogany wings and a carved heel? Thick ebony fingerboard? 36" scale? 26 frets? 5 strings? Delano SBC pickups? Passive? Neck profile the same as a Smith 5?[/quote]

No problem with these specs but I only build set-in basses. Many neck-thru basses are in reality set-in 'cause they have the neck going thru the body but cut for the pickups. It's only a different look. Real neck-thru must have the neck as thick as the body wings, without top or back. In this case the pickups routing don't cut the entire grain of the neck blank.

As written in my space, extended fingerboard, longer or shorter scale etc. aren't a problem. :huh:

EDIT: forgot to say that, unfortunately, headless basses are a bit more expensive as I still haven't found a cheaper brand of headless tuners... :huh:
About the neck heel: on my basses it simply DOESN'T EXIST or, put in a plain manner, you can't reach it with your fretting hand since all the frets accessible and out of the body shape. Take a look at the pics and you'll understand what I mean... I hope my English is decent enough to make things clear.

Edited by Matte_black

[quote name='Matte_black' post='335068' date='Nov 23 2008, 06:41 PM']EDIT: forgot to say that, unfortunately, headless basses are a bit more expensive as I still haven't found a cheaper brand of headless tuners...[/quote]
Oh thats OK, I can supply an old ABM 1 piece unit I couldn't sell through these forums. It's a bit worn but might do the trick. It has a string retainer as well but that's in chrome unfortunately. I'm not sure whether I could get double ball end string in 36" scale though...

...set neck is fine too, it just means the body wood will make more of a contribution. If you're able to leave it with me until after Christmas and I'll make a committment then.