Why become a member? ×

Markaudio linear array systems

Happy Jack

PS I was getting a bit bored with so many anodyne threads running at the moment. It's nice to have a topic to get our teeth into which is also informative. Nothing wrong with a bit of passion so long as people remember their manners?

I spent a very educational and entertaining two hours in a rehearsal studio with MoJoKe this morning and, rather as I feared, I have been thoroughly smitten by these systems, and especially by the Audio Chain - the larger unit with the 2x10 subwoofer.

Although I have researched (quite thoroughly) all the major competitors, including all of those listed elsewhere in this thread, I cannot claim to have listened to, or played through, them all. I am therefore NOT an expert on this subject. Nor, indeed, do I have a dog in this fight. I never really got on with pooper-scoopers.

But I HAVE invested two hours in getting seriously up close and personal with this Markaudio stuff, and I have been sufficiently impressed that I'll be putting my hand in my pocket. I've already listed for sale about £2k worth of kit here on Basschat to help fund this move, and there will be more to come. I'm not here to write advertising copy for Markbass, and they wouldn't thank me for it anyway, so if you want to know more about my thinking in PA terms please drop me a PM.

But this being a forum for bass players, I should at least mention that the deciding factor for me was that this is a PA system that actually is also a serious high-end bass cab, and which can be used quite happily in stand-alone mode (i.e. no PA mixer etc.) to this purpose. Just stick an appropriate preamp or pedal in front of it, plug in to the dedicated socket and ... job done. You can do this regardless of whether or not it is in use as a PA at the time.B|

Rather than - as now - having three Barefaced bass cabs (610 + Compact + Midget) and two RCF PA cabs (ART 322-A) knocking about, and taking at least three of those five to every gig by my main band, I can think in terms of losing all three Barefaced cabs with no appreciable loss of performance. Having been a notorious Barefaced fanboi for roughly a decade, life post-Barefaced will probably seem strange to me at first. But I suspect that Alex won't notice that I've gone. :hi:

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

But this being a forum for bass players, I should at least mention that the deciding factor for me was that this is a PA system that actually is also a serious high-end bass cab, and which can be used quite happily in stand-alone mode (i.e. no PA mixer etc.) to this purpose. Just stick an appropriate preamp or pedal in front of it, plug in to the dedicated socket and ... job done. You can do this regardless of whether or not it is in use as a PA at the time.B|

FRFR then?

giphy.gif

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, stevie said:

I'm wondering how 4 x 4-inch drivers can possibly generate 126dB.

Best ask Marco de Virgiliis ... I'm sure I have his phone number somewhere.

Personally I don't get hung up on numbers. I tend to rate cabs as being Too Quiet, Quiet, Loud, Bloody Loud, and WTF Do You Think You're Playing At You Pilloch.

• Haha 1

Just now, Happy Jack said:

Best ask Marco de Virgiliis ... I'm sure I have his phone number somewhere.

Personally I don't get hung up on numbers. I tend to rate cabs as being Too Quiet, Quiet, Loud, Bloody Loud, and WTF Do You Think You're Playing At You Pilloch.

I think we came dangerously close to WTFDYTYPAYP while testing, this morning. :o

Just now, Happy Jack said:

Dunno Russ, this all goes way over my head. :)

Full range flat response. What you put in is what you get out. Put a modeller into your linear array with a model of and amp with say an 8x10 cab, it will sound like what that rig would if it was miced up out of the PA.

That reminds me. Sticking your digit into the 'tower' cones would be considerably harder than you might imagine ... they are reasonably well protected with rigid plastic grilles.

They're also very well defended against prattish guitar players dropping their plectrums into the horns ...

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

Having been a notorious Barefaced fanboi for roughly a decade, life post-Barefaced will probably seem strange to me at first. But I suspect that Alex won't notice that I've gone. :hi:

No, just heard him sobbing.

33 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Regardless of performance, these line array systems look pretty damn cool.

Just my 2p and not bashing but I'm going with the opposite. They may sound great but all that orange is really distracting. It takes away from whatever is happening on stage, IMO. Maybe if there was another way to incorporate the orange and make the speakers black.

If it helps, markbass may have missed a big trick here.

Djing wise, the line array systems have been massive for the last 5 years, and have helped the likes of fbt become very big. They are popular for 2 reasons:

1.lightweight, portability and great sound.

2.lots of brides want these systems at their weddings as they blend in discretely with the wedding decor etc rather than a big clumsy pa speakers, and a lot of pro djs and pa companies buy these systems specifically for that reason. So i have to agree to some extent that shown that system brides wont be happy with that look at their wedding and hence a selection of potential customers wont buy.

Making them black (or having an option to) would help sales, regardless of audio quality.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, la bam said:

Making them black (or having an option to) would help sales, regardless of audio quality.

Valid point, and It has already been discussed!  All constructive feedback will of course be passed up the line!

Its interesting that no hire companies I have spoken to, have specifically yet said they need to be "all black", again I think this is very much a "marmite" thing...  some say they like them specifically because they look funky and different..!  Whether it works for you, they are playing on the solid marketing of the Markbass look, so it'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

I can see the markbass and branding argument, no problem at all. But honestly, if markbass want to sell a lot of these a black discrete version is essential. Pro djs and companies sell their djing services now 90% on photos of their set ups as its so internet driven now. Clients especially young brides are like magpies "ooh i love how that set up looks, lets book these" (rather than the quality of djing or sound).

So it goes in a circle - brides want the discreet classy look, so choose djs with that set up, so other djs buy that set up as they can see what sells, sales of say the fbt vertus go through the roof and everyone copies. If someone had a yellow system and it didnt help them get bookings they wouldnt keep it regardless of the audio quality and theyd get a system that helped them get the work.

I know that sounds crazy but its true. These systems are also popular at ceremonies and wedding breakfast which is why discretion is essential.

I appreciate we are talking basses here and bands, but just trying to help them see from a different angle.

Edited by la bam
  • Like 1