Why become a member? ×

Well known basslines that are deceptively a bit of a barsteward to nail

Stockholm Syndrome - Muse, play it with the tribute. Not particularly difficult, but it is straight 16ths pretty much during verse 1 and 2 without any breaks between the two. Not a song I want to start the gig with...... need a few songs to warm up :)

Edited by HazBeen
  • Like 1

On 08/03/2018 at 07:20, scalpy said:

Anything by the Stones. That band’s groove is very peculiar.

Yup, we used to do satisfaction which I found a doddle, we now have sympathy for the devil on our ‘to learn’ list. On paper it’s an easy one but getting the sound just right is a pig and half.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

I am learning Elvis Costello Pump It Up for rehearsal later, resorted to downloading the dots, every verse and every chorus are slightly different each time both in note choice and quantity of bars! I will simplify it a bit for the real world I think.

I did that in my previous band and remember that it was a bit of a pain to start with, but once you have all the possible variations you can vary them around (and if you look at videos, he did)

strangely when going through old songs the other day it’s a song I never forgot how to do, whereas others I couldn’t remember at all. I guess that is based on how much time you spent with each!

55 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I did that in my previous band and remember that it was a bit of a pain to start with, but once you have all the possible variations you can vary them around (and if you look at videos, he did)

strangely when going through old songs the other day it’s a song I never forgot how to do, whereas others I couldn’t remember at all. I guess that is based on how much time you spent with each!

Sounds like you've got it ingrained now!

I'll do a 'tribute' to the original then  especially if he did too, thanks :)

52 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I found one accidenly yesterday playing from one YouTube to another. Paradise by Sade, a 2011 live version. There are literally only 4 notes in the whole song, but it is those 4 notes in that position and that rhythm every 5 seconds for 6 minutes!

Billy Jean is like that for me, hopefully the audience are dancing and you really have to pump those notes out bang on time over and over to keep them grooving! 

7 hours ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

Billy Jean is like that for me, hopefully the audience are dancing and you really have to pump those notes out bang on time over and over to keep them grooving! 

We do that, so I know what you mean. All is fine but if I decide I want to sing at one point it can fall apart!

On 3/6/2018 at 09:33, Barking Spiders said:

There are those basslines that may sound challenging , e.g. fast chromatic runs or high speed slap but can be nailed without too much hassle. Then there are those that on the face of it may not appear too much of a problem but on closer inspection are bluddy tricky. One such is What Is Hip by Tower of Power which I starting working on for the first time last night. Scott Devine has a vid  on this and even he admits he found it a bit of a bvgger to nail.  The nub of it is playing 16ths while muting the notes with the middle or ring finger on the fretting hand  while keeping a steady rhythm going with the plucking hand, leading with the index finger while accenting the odd notes...I think.  Anyone here tried this line or what others do you reckon are tougher than they first appear?

I've never heard that before. Nice. Like it.

54 minutes ago, funkgod said:

this, sounds easy, but try it,

RIP Eddy.

Used to love playing along with this stuff all those years ago even tho i played in rock and prog bands these were more of a challenge as well as being such great songs. Lots of wee tricky bits in there but its more about groove and feel for this style of music. 

Been such a long time since i last heard this. Lovin it. Makes me want to go and plug in my bass. 

Thanks for posting

Dave 

On 06/03/2018 at 14:58, gareth said:

I always had problems with Hysteria by Muse

You still trying it? I love Muse and have been playing that bassline for ages. Might be able to give you some pointers if you'd like. I showed up the guitarists at one of my college gigs by playing the intro behind my head á la Hendrix 😂

Ok. I was no where near as cool as Hendrix. Shush.

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 19:09, BigRedX said:

Surely it's all sequenced synth - probably done on something simple like a Roland Bassline?

THAT is the challenge ! to play something only a synth could play :) and i DON'T mean THAT theme that shall remain nameless :)

Edited by bazzbass

On 3/11/2018 at 03:40, bazzbass said:

THAT is the challenge ! to play something only a synth could play :) and i DON'T mean THAT theme that shall remain nameless :)

Personally I can't see the point. You'll never sound as tight as the bassline on the recording and that's before you consider that the drums are most likely a Roland 606 drum machine (and the "xylophone" is one of the patches in the Roland SH09/101 manual).

11 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Personally I can't see the point. You'll never sound as tight as the bassline on the recording and that's before you consider that the drums are most likely a Roland 606 drum machine (and the "xylophone" is one of the patches in the Roland SH09/101 manual).

why try and learn something that is a bit beyond my current ability? to IMPROVE my playing.:)

and coz I like it