Why become a member? ×

Well known basslines that are deceptively a bit of a barsteward to nail

As for "What Is Hip?", you can see from watching Allesandra, the girl in the clip above playing it, that you have to push the accent when going through the bassline. It's not just a case of playing a straight 16th notes.  You have to push and pull the feel of the line to produce the accents when underlining the horn stabs for example,. You also have to "pulse" the 16th notes to get a groove going, rather than simply plodding along.

Pino Palladino is a HUGE fan of Francis "Rocco" Prestia from Tower Of Power. So much so in fact, that he had Rocco sign his famous Musicman Stingray. The only person to do so. (The pic below is one Pino's wife took of the bass just a few months ago). And..... Pino's son is named after Rocco as well!!!!

Pino's fretless Stingray.jpg

Edited by kevin_lindsay

9 hours ago, scalpy said:

Anything by the Stones. That band’s groove is very peculiar.

Peculiar as in 'strange' or as in 'special' ?!!

Whatever, their stuff can be hard to nail as per the original recordings. 

3 hours ago, plangentmusic said:

We Are Family --  a standard for every working wedding band and I don't think I've ever heard anyone play it right.

Now I look at videos of people on the net playing that, it is on the list of things I should play. Even though I will probably never play it live :D

1 hour ago, casapete said:

Peculiar as in 'strange' or as in 'special' ?!!

Whatever, their stuff can be hard to nail as per the original recordings. 

Peculiar as it’s very hard to analyse exactly what’s going on and how it works. Unlike a good train beat or the groove to Night Train where it’s got a very calculable degree of swing (still very hard to pull mind) the Stones are so scruffy and skew whiff it shouldn’t work, but yet it does. Not everybodies cup of tea I know but it’s certainly special to me. 

• Like 1

'Joe Frazier' by Jeff Berlin (either the Bruford or solo record versions). The head is just insane. It sounds as though it would be easy to break down into sections but after the turn around going up to the high G it gets very tricky. I still haven't nailed it. 

21 hours ago, scalpy said:

well, Charlie takes his cues from Keith, Bill is too busy checking out pre teen girls. He hardly recorded with them, Keef and Ron played all the good basslines.

So, drummer takes cues from a zonked out Keef who tunes his guitar's 5 strings to open G so he can't stuff up anything, bass player is perving on the girlies,, no wonder they are the sloppiest band ever. That is their 'groove' lol

Some interesting definitions of "well-known" in this thread! Well-known by bassists, or well-known in  a wider sense?

And I'm not sure I've ever met anyone who hears "What is Hip?" and thinks "well, that one is pretty straightforward and shouldn't give me too many problems - I'll just busk it". :shok::biggrin:

On 3/6/2018 at 12:29, markdavid said:

Joe Jackson Steppin Out  - I thought I had it nailed but then on closer listening realised hes  playing octaves , absolute b*!ch to play at the original speed, one day i'll nail it

On 3/8/2018 at 05:23, bazzbass said:

killer bassline, very hard to play at correct tempo for me too .

Surely it's all sequenced synth - probably done on something simple like a Roland Bassline?

Edited by BigRedX

On 3/8/2018 at 07:20, scalpy said:

Not helped by the fact that on any of the songs with piano, the keys left hand is doing the standard solid bass line, leaving the bass guitar the noodle about in the space between the keyboards and guitars. Unless your band is replicating the keyboard parts exactly, I've found the best way to get the song sounding even close to the recording is start by emulating the keys left hand and then add as many of the bass guitar licks as you can while still keeping it solid at the bottom end.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

With Higher and Higher, or any repetitive line, you have to focus on playing the song.

Don't forget for complete authenticity to get the guitar player to just be ever so slightly out of tune too.....xD