Why become a member? ×

Well known basslines that are deceptively a bit of a barsteward to nail

On 10/03/2018 at 09:26, stingrayPete1977 said:

I am learning Elvis Costello Pump It Up for rehearsal later, resorted to downloading the dots, every verse and every chorus are slightly different each time both in note choice and quantity of bars! I will simplify it a bit for the real world I think.

Agree,by John Paul jones's admission he never repeats himself so on Zep stuff i just role around the neck on the fills and get it on the important bits

• Like 2

Is Tool well known enough to be included? Jambi has a ridiculous amount of variation, especially under the talkbox guitar solo, plus intermittent use of auto-wah on single chords within a line (an utter hand-foot coordination nightmare!)

In slightly more classic territory, haven't tried it for a while but I remember 16 year old me getting confuzzled by Smoke On The Water - the bass does some pretty intricate stuff under the all too well known guitar riffs.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jazzmanb said:

Start of Sweet Emotion,i got it spot on then leave it a week and revert back to the wrong way .The correct way sounds almost wrong

Yup that was a bugger for me, I had to simplify it a bit in the end, just too many notes lol...great song though

14 minutes ago, drlargepants said:

The guitar is actually very simple generally. 

The bass and drums though, eek!

Yes - I don't normally look at drums things, but the drummer in my band loves tool, and is one of the better drummers I have ever played with so when he says about things being hard I tend to listen.

I like this, not because the normal 'girl on youtube thing', but its really easy to see what is going on and show the structure of the song, the concentration needed and the relief at the end!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Forget you - Cee Lo Green

Verses - straightforward.

Then there's the mid 8 with the bass solo!! (2.38 in 'now baby, baby...) Ok who's cracked that then and can point me in the right direction? I'm currently trying to work it out as we've just added to our covers set and it's definitely a bit of a barsteward to nail!

Edited by Al Krow

9 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

There's something hypnotically good about Tool! What's your favourite album by them?

Currently working my way through learning everything on 10,000 days. No idea why, not like I am ever going to find a group that wants to play it :D

2 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Currently working my way through learning everything on 10,000 days. No idea why, not like I am ever going to find a group that wants to play it :D

Hah I’ve considered learning Wings for Marie but gave up for that very reason. 

Edited by drlargepants

1 minute ago, drlargepants said:

Hah I’ve considered learning Wings for Marie but gave up for that very reason. 

Its a compelling reason but if I had to just learn the stuff I was going to play in one of my groups I would have probably given up bass a long time ago!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, LegateNaarifin said:

Mine's probably Lateralus, lots of excellent bass work on there (not just the intro to Schism that everyone and their cat seems to learn xD)

Well, I learned it. Although to be fair, I learned the rest of the song too, and it is quite an important bit!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Forget you - Cee Lo Green

Verses - straightforward.

Then there's the mid 8 with the bass solo!! (2.38 in 'now baby, baby...) Ok who's cracked that then and can point me in the right direction? I'm currently trying to work it out as we've just added to our covers set and it's definitely a bit of barsteward to nail!

Which bit is giving you trouble? If it's the transcription I can do you a little how to video? 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, M@23 said:

Which bit is giving you trouble? If it's the transcription I can do you a little how to video? 

Mark - that's a fantastic offer thank you!

It's the couple of rapid run ups during the bass solo bit in that 'mid 8' - quick and quiet on the recording and therefore difficult to pick out.

Actually @krispn has just messaged me to point me in the direction of Coco's Basement - I'd not come across that before and seems to be a really good resource (more bass tab focused than ultimate guitar.com which I've been using up til now)...so hopefully that will provide me with enough of a steer to get something a lot closer! Cheers buddy.

Times like these, this forum can be a complete boon!

Edited by Al Krow

On 17/03/2018 at 20:46, Oopsdabassist said:

Yup that was a bugger for me, I had to simplify it a bit in the end, just too many notes lol...great song though

Its like drumming on a bass,two things going on

the simple version sounds more convincing,i think its the pressure of opening the song with it as well ,ha!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Great album and the type of thing i did as a young Stranglers fan,tend to just pick the licks up on TOOL stuff and jam them at soundcheck these days

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave Vader said:

Heart - Barracuda

Simple enough, but I defy anyone to do it without having to count the bar of 5/4 in the verse.

Used to find that tricky too when i first heard it all those years ago. Not tried it for some time. Put me in the mood for a listen now tho

On 3/8/2018 at 07:20, scalpy said:

Anything by the Stones. That band’s groove is very peculiar.

Another vote for the Stones here! A lot of people think they are quite simple, but as you say it's the groove that is tricky.

I'm currently brushing up on Not Fade Away for an upcoming dep gig.  Practicing to the recording, and keep finding myself out of sync with it.  And then worrying that if I do get it exactly as per the recording, the band will be grooving it differently. I doubt I'll get a rehearsal with them. Ah, the joys and challenges of depping! O.o

• Like 1