Why become a member? ×

Thinking of getting an EUB...a few questions.

ChrisF

Hi all

As you may..or more probably..may not remember,  I sold my upright bass a couple of years ago. I got a very nice accoustic bass guitar in the deal, but it just isn't the same. 

One of the reasons I sold the upright was the trouble I had lugging it around what with my lower back and hip problems. So I've been thinking that an EUB might make me happy.

I assume that EUBs are much lighter and easier to carry than uprights ?

Is the sound close to an upright..or does it just sound like an upright bass guitar ?

Can they be slapped ?

I'm not looking to spend a fortune to start with...so I will probably go for either a Stagg or a Harley Benton. Any thoughts on these would be appreciated.

Cheers in advance.

I've looked into this myself and two instruments that stand out are the Eminence (which is strictly not an EUB, it's a small bodied acoustic instrument with a pickup that amplifies the acoustic sound), and the Yamaha SLB, which has electronics to mimic the sound of an amplified acoustic upright. They ain't cheap though but hold their value better ;-) The cheaper instruments seem to either require a lot of mods to make them usable or have quality issues, but they're cheap as chips and easy to buy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As @petebassist says, very few EUBs can do an acoustic double bass sound convincingly. If you are looking for DB sound in a smaller package, the options are limited.

Personally, I am not overly bothered by the details of the sound as long as the overall feel of the instrument is close to that of a DB, and the sound is not too much like an electric bass (i've got plenty of those). Picking an EUB with a DB-shaped fingerboard and with a good rest/arm/bout (what do you call the bit that sticks out from the side and rests against your hip/belly when playing?), and putting a good set of old-school sounding strings on it does marvels in improving the overall feel and sound. 

I am currently going through that process with the aria EUB i recently got, and i'm happy with that for now.

• Thanks 1

I've used the NS CR4M for over ten years. Its the one with the dual pickup system for pizz and arco. The neck doesn't really feel like a double bass neck to me, and it has dot markers on the fingerboard, which I hate. But with experimentation with different amps, I've gotten a reasonable imitation of an amplified double bass out of it. Yes, it can be slapped if you just raise the action enough. To my ears, the slap sound is quite authentic. If you're not careful, it can ending up sounding like a standard fretless bass, especially into a desk, but as said, if matched to the right amplification, it does actually sound ok.

• Thanks 1

I started with a Stagg and it was a good intro to upright for me and the neck is similar to many DBs (being careful here...).A few months later I came across a Yamaha SLB 200 at a price that I couldn't resist and I have been using it for about 3 years for gigs.It has a better sound and can be set up pretty much like a DB and although some would disagree, it is a really good instrument, at least for me.Because it is not usually very easy to try out several EUBs at one time since most stores carry a limited stock, it might a good idea to take your time and try as many as you can,it seems what is great for one person doesn't work for others. 

I'm sure you'll get lots of ideas on BC and there might be other threads on here to check out.The Double Bass Bash in April near Bicester(see Events) could be a good source of advice and there may be some EUBs there to try out. 

Good luck and happy hunting!

• Thanks 1

I too started with a Stagg EUB. It was a great introduction to upright playing for me, and it fuelled my desire to get a "proper" acoustic upright ;)
The stagg is cheap as chips (especially 2nd hand) and fairly light, and nice & easy to lug around, set up and use
However, I never got it to sound too much like a Double bass, it always sounded more like a fretless, and to my mind, it never really felt like any DB I subsequently played
That said, as I mentioned, it was a great intro to the world of upright, and I got back what I'd paid for it....

The best sounding IMO, was my Eminence - though as has already been said, you could define it as an acoustic DB with a very small body / acoustic chamber and not actually an EUB at all....
I've not played a Yamaha SLB, but from sound clips I've heard, where the players have stated that the sound has been unaltered, the SLB does sound superb
NS Design EUBs do look as though they're nice, light & portable - though I think the dots for every note would probably distract me (perhaps these could be masked, using tiny pieces of black masking tape? or felt pen?)

I've got a KK Baby bass (bought from Happy Jack on here) and it is possible to get closer to a natural DB sound from it - though it's still not quite there, like the Eminence
one drawback with the KK baby bass is, that they're still quite heavy (perhaps the heaviness of their structure helps the sound?) though, in truth, I find that it's as much the bulk of an acoustic DB that makes them awkward to carry, as does their weight

They can all be played slap stlye - depending on how they are set up. The type of string also dictates and helps here.... Generally, you'd need a slightly higher action for slap stlye
One word here - get a DB / EUB with an adjustable bridge, if you want to play different styles - being able to easily adjust the bridge height will be a real bonus
Another plus for the KK Baby bass - adjustment is even easier, as there's an allen key at the back of the neck. This adjusts not bridge height, but it adjusts the angle of the neck
I find it so quick and simple to do :)

Sorry, I've probably given you too much info - I am known to ramble on a bit....
But the suggestion of trying as many as you can, and visiting a DB bass bash is the best way forward I think

You don't way where you live - perhaps it would be a good idea to update your profile with that info
or you could ask local BC members who own EUB's for a huge favour, and try their basses? We're a friendly bunch, and I know I'd be happy for you to pop in if you're anywhere near Cardiff :)

Cheers now, and best of luck with your search

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies so far..definitely food for thought. 

I think I'm in Edinburgh when the bash is on..i will have to check. If I'm not then Biscester isnt too bad for me to get to. I'm in Bedfordshire by the way.

I must admit I didnt even consider a second hand one, but it makes sense. I bought my upright new without ever having played one,  but im older and a tiny bit wiser now so I'm going to try to try out at least a few before I commit to buying one.

• Like 1

I have an SLB 200 which is amazing in my view but has a price tag to match. I had a Stagg for a while but never liked it. I only play double bass, not bass guitar, and I just never found the Stagg body attachments adequate for the job. If I was coming from more of a guitar starting point of view I might not mind as much.

After 20 years of lugging the acoustic bass in and out of the car and around different venues, and dealing with endless repetitions of the ‘that’s a big violin’ joke, the joy of carrying an eub to rehearsals and gigs is like swapping walking for flying. 

Good luck with your search.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, GambaCorners said:

I have an SLB 200 which is amazing in my view but has a price tag to match. I had a Stagg for a while but never liked it. I only play double bass, not bass guitar, and I just never found the Stagg body attachments adequate for the job. If I was coming from more of a guitar starting point of view I might not mind as much.

After 20 years of lugging the acoustic bass in and out of the car and around different venues, and dealing with endless repetitions of the ‘that’s a big violin’ joke, the joy of carrying an eub to rehearsals and gigs is like swapping walking for flying. 

Good luck with your search.

Yes, the SLB does look and sound good (at least from sound clips I've heard of them)
I wouldn't want to put anyone off buying a Stagg - they are great value for money (esp send hand) and a good intro into upright playing -  at least, they give you a bit of a flavour for it
But I definitely agree about the "body" attachments - I bought one as a bass guitar player, and didn't get on with those attachments at all. I found them very awkward, and later found them to be very unlike the shape and feel of an acoustic DB body which they are supposed to replicate / represent. Again, that may be just me, some folks might find them useful....

Definitely take your time ChrisF, and play as many as you can. The only thing is, you may have to travel a fair bit, and be quite patient - as there aren't too many shops that stock EUB's. And those that do will probably only have one.....
Ask if any kindly BC members who live near you, are willing to let you try their EUB. Good luck with your search :)

Like anyone else, definitely the Eminence is certainly the best choice, especially the one with removable neck for portability and sound.

I owned two Zeta's (4 and 5) : short scale and fretless sound.

I owned a Stagg : awful, not a double bass sound and cheap making and sounding. Add the fact that good strings will cost you the price of second hand one. :crazy:

I owned a Wave (NXT) : again a fretless sound.

I owned an NS Design CR4M (the full specs one made in Czech Republic) : played it for 2 to 3 years, can sound like a double bass, but won't feel like it.

I owned an Ergo 6 (Jesse's personal one) : could come close to a double bass sound with some amp tweaking, but totally unreliable especially the piezo system.

I'm owning now a Leduc Contr-U-Basse Moaï L-09 : 6 strings EUB made especially for me (7 years to have it finished), really terrific, but heavy and very expensive...

I'm also owning a Berne Harpobasse which is a smaller bodied 34 inches double bass with a harp top design so the strings are pulling the top and not pushing it : close in sound, light, but still a bit of a doghouse.

Try as many as you can and read this : https://www.gollihurmusic.com/product/3080-ELECTRIC_UPRIGHT_BASSES_WHICH_ONE_A_BUYER_S_GUIDE.html

Prosebass....if I could I would definitely go with a double bass. I loved my DB and sold it reluctantly. An EUB is a compromise for me.

Spookily I've just been given a rather nice bonus at work which I wanted to earmark for the bass. Unfortunately SWMBO has other ideas...apparently it has to go towards my daughter's wedding. Watch this space :)

• Like 1

As I mentioned I don't want to spend too much before I know how I will get on with the EUB. So baring that in mind if it was a straight choice between a Stagg and a Harley Benton which would you choose and why ?

32 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

As I mentioned I don't want to spend too much before I know how I will get on with the EUB. So baring that in mind if it was a straight choice between a Stagg and a Harley Benton which would you choose and why ?

Personally i'd go for the stagg, mainly because i've had one and know it.

There are some interesting options in the "EUB for sale" section here on basschat for the same kind of money as a new Stagg. Perhaps you could have a look (i'm not selling anything btw)

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Hellzero said:

@Prosebass Q-Tuner fan ?

Yes. I used them in a few of my builds years ago. If you are after a huge clean passive output, the originals were excellent. They worked especially well with roundwounds on ebanol fretless boards.  I have not tried the new versions.  

@Prosebass I tried the Q2.0 version, quite close, but not so clear and dynamic, but it was the medium output, not the high output.

I still have my homemade sixer (now fretted) with the original Q-Tuner's : no need for a preamp even if the Musician Sound Design preamp I put in is very transparent.

5a88228f045ad_Byl6Fretless5picture.thumb.jpg.93910daa564a622d5e6b8574c405fb3a.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/7/2018 at 09:06, Marc S said:

Yes, the SLB does look and sound good (at least from sound clips I've heard of them)
I wouldn't want to put anyone off buying a Stagg - they are great value for money (esp send hand) and a good intro into upright playing -  at least, they give you a bit of a flavour for it
But I definitely agree about the "body" attachments - I bought one as a bass guitar player, and didn't get on with those attachments at all. I found them very awkward, and later found them to be very unlike the shape and feel of an acoustic DB body which they are supposed to replicate / represent. Again, that may be just me, some folks might find them useful....

For me the Stagg is kind of an evolution of the bass guitar, in the direction of the acoustic bass. The SLB is an evolution of the acoustic bass. If acoustic bass is your reference point then the Stagg has many potential frustrations, but if the bass guitar is your reference, or you have little/no experience of upright, then the Stagg is a good gateway and certainly better value for money than what you'd get if you spent the same on what would be a 'cheap' acoustic DB.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ChrisF said:

To me, both the Stagg and the Harley look to be quite similar.
If it was a choice just between those two, then I personally would say the Stagg - purely because I've not tried a Harley
Harley Benton get some good reviews on quality of their bass guitars though - so the Harley upright might well be really good....

I'm guessing that if you bought either 2nd hand, there wouldn't be too much in it, and you wouldn't lose much if you decided either wasn't for you.
If you can try either before buying, then I would recommend doing just that. But also, keep a look out for other instruments, in the marketplace here

• Thanks 1

Like a lot of folk on here, I too started with the Stagg, but couldn’t get the ‘sound in my head’ out of it so moved it on.

i currently use a five string KK Baby Bass which on its own gets pretty close to the sound of an amplified DB, but has come alive since I added some bridge mounted piezo pickups. I blend the piezo with the underbridge magnetic pickup using a Headway preamp and I can get the sound I want. Quality wise it’s also a huge leap up in class and I can play it for hours without fatigue unlike the Stagg that was always spinning around in my hand (possibly as a result of my bad left hand technique). Having a reasonable sized body means you can lean the bass on your leg and use arm weight to depress the strings which again helps to lower fatigue. 

Interestingly, Emmylou Harris’s bassist used an Eminence on a couple of tracks at last weekends Country to Country gig. Sadly, the sound wasn’t the best and as a result it just sounded dark and boomy.

id say try before you buy, I bought my KK secondhand blind based on other folks recommendations, but on reflection I was lucky.