Let's look at a partial list...
Chris Squire
Jack Bruce
John Entwhistle
Steve Harris
Lemmy
Bruce Foxton
Noel Redding, etc. etc.

Are we missing something? Was that sound a part of their success or was it merely that these amps/stacks were the state-of-the-art for the time?
I wrote an article here this week along with an accompanying video: 

I don't have a succinct answer, but Foxton/Harris aside, the bassists in your list are all gentlemen of a certain period.

As music got louder [in the '60s], perhaps Marshall just offered a viable alternative to whatever passed for a bass amp back then.  Perhaps Marshall just gave their gear away to prominent players, perhaps it was really good.  Perhaps, perhaps.

Me?  Never owned anything made by Marshall and to be honest, I've always been underwhelmed when I've played with guitarists who use Marshalls.  Sure they go loud, but for me, that's about it.  I'd sooner a Twin Reverb.

• Like 2

Everyone on that list is British and London based, like Marshall. Marshall just built big loud amps in the UK at a time when you needed big loud amps for even a fairly small gig! I'm guessing there were just a lot of them around and they were probably a lot cheaper than imports like Ampeg. Plus Entwhistle used Trace Elliot for absolutely ages of course... 

• Like 1

I'm not sure if Steve Harris used Marshall amps. Possibly during his early amateur days. He uses Marshall cabinets  fitted with EV though. They look pretty old and battered from touring. I saw them from about 5 metres distance.

His amps were trace Elliot, hiwatt, recently ish  endorsed  by Orange. 

He is not a tech.when it comes to his gear unlike other bassist. He's more into engineering side and production.

• Like 1

Yep, the local guys sounded good too. I used to watch a 3 piece at the local dive in the late 70's. Guy used a Rick into a 4x12 Marshall stack. Fantastic round tone, created a lovely full balance against the telecaster on the other side of the stage.

If they could do the cab and amp at 22 Ibs all in, Id buy. Great set up for bass.

Edited by oldbass
  • Like 1

You left John McVie off  the list.

Marshall was considered to be the best sound around at the time. They were the first ones with that rock sound and while every one else was trying to catch up Marshall cleaned up.

Good gear was expensive back then so most  gigging musicians played what ever they could get their hands on. But owning Marshall was the aim. Until Hiwatt, Orange etc cam along then Marshall had some serious competition.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

All it really shows is that when it comes to developing bass amplification, Marshall haven't been able to keep up with the competition.

That is a familiar story, ie Fender, Gibson, IBM, British motorcycle industry.

Major success in their field seems to stop companies from considering the effectiveness of the competition.

10 hours ago, dishwallascot said:

Let's look at a partial list...
Chris Squire
Jack Bruce
John Entwhistle
Steve Harris
Lemmy
Bruce Foxton
Noel Redding, etc. etc.

Are we missing something? Was that sound a part of their success or was it merely that these amps/stacks were the state-of-the-art for the time?
I wrote an article here this week along with an accompanying video: 

Don't forget Roger Glover, and Andy Fraser! As for Entwistle, although he was a key figure in Marshall's development (along with Townshend), he didn't actually use them for long. He soon moved on to Sound City/Hiwatts.

6 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

I don't have a succinct answer, but Foxton/Harris aside, the bassists in your list are all gentlemen of a certain period.

As music got louder [in the '60s], perhaps Marshall just offered a viable alternative to whatever passed for a bass amp back then. 

Agreed. There simply wasn't a lot of choice back then, if you wanted to be heard!

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar
  • Like 2

You missed me off this list too, I had a bass state B150 ;). Was a very good amp though massive and heavy. 

Had a look the other day to see if they were still doing bass amps and didn't see any. But did find out that they own Eden so maybe thats where all their bass energies are focused these days?

• Like 1

I notice I'm not on the list either?

:biggrin:

I've been using a Marshall Jubilee mosfet amp for about 28 years now - it's still going strong though I'm now only using it as a power amp, wot with my new BBE pre... It's extremely reliable, surprisingly loud for "only" 300W, and extremely heavy.

And if anyone's interested in the history of Marshall amps, and why they were synonymous with rock and roll there's a excellent BBC documentary called "Play it Loud"; unfortunately it's not on the iplayer any more, but is available here:

https://docur.co/documentary/play-it-loud-the-story-of-marshall

Edited by Leonard Smalls
speelig msstyke

2 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

You missed me off this list too, I had a bass state B150 ;). Was a very good amp though massive and heavy. 

Had a look the other day to see if they were still doing bass amps and didn't see any. But did find out that they own Eden so maybe thats where all their bass energies are focused these days?

Still do have  a B150, but not using much it these days. Have a B60 as my dining room combo, which is just fine for the odd noodle and practice.

(Roland Cube 120 as my lounge combo and LM3  & a Vanderkey as the music room/ Gigging kit).

Also have a DBS7400 that was my main amp for a long time. Still absolutely monstrous tone (but also weight) and I'd love to get it out more.

1 hour ago, PaulWarning said:

I had a MB 210 combo for a few years, no problem with it, nice tone and very loud, just moved onto something lighter, I don't think Marshall do class D or Neo speakers do they?

They don't do any bass stuff anymore. They bought out Eden, so I guess Eden are now Marshall's bass division.

Besides, they hadn't really made any good bass gear since the dear departed DBS range. The MB range was OK, - loud, versatile and powerful, but they had a shocking reputation on the reliability front. 

Personally, I'd like to see an Eden 'Marshall Edition' range of bass gear, with the proper black and gold graphics.... 

Edited by Russ
  • Like 1

I think Marshalls bass gear suffered as a result of their guitar ear being so good, almost a "well they can`t be any good for bass can they, they`re a guitar amp maker" sort of thing. I`ve had a few Marshall bass amps, and one set-up in particular, the DBS7400 with VBC412 cab was a great set-up. Cab weighed a ton but I still look fondly back to that half-stack with a smile.

I used a Marshall guitar head 25 years ago - an early 70s Artiste through a similar vintage White 4x12 with 25 Watt Celestions - it shifted some air!

It was all bottom end, very little treble.

Amazingly the speakers live on in a friend's Marshall 4x12 to this day.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dudewheresmybass said:

Didn't geezer use Marshall before he switched to ampeg?

im also not convinced about the Harris thing. His preamp is a cone of a 70's hi watt. As far as I'm aware the only Marshall connection is the cab boxes, which he loads with ev speakers

Yeah, I believe you guys are correct on that although he used Marshall cabs for years. It was a tube amp / 4x12 sound none the less. 

4 hours ago, el borracho said:

I used a Marshall guitar head 25 years ago - an early 70s Artiste through a similar vintage White 4x12 with 25 Watt Celestions - it shifted some air!

It was all bottom end, very little treble.

Amazingly the speakers live on in a friend's Marshall 4x12 to this day.

That's interesting to me because both Bruce Foxton and Lemmy rolled the low end totally off!

Yep had a Marshall amp with one 412 angled cab atop a Hiwatt 412 straight cab back in early 80's.

Was using an Aria SB1000 at the time. That was a fantastic tone.

Wasn't a lot of choice back in 70's so 2nd hand amps were limited even in early 80's altho every future rock bassist wanted a Marshall stack. It was the done thing. Trendy :D

Dave

EDIT :- think my bottom cab might have been a Sound City rather than Hiwatt.  

Edited by dmccombe7
update my memories