Why become a member? ×

That was an odd rehearsal

tauzero

17 hours ago, T-Bay said:

We find the volume sliders on the PA work brilliantly as talent filters for BV

yeah I do that for our guitarist, admits he can't sing but doesn't stop him trying, at a gig recently I kept turning him down all to no avail, still too loud, at half time I found out we'd mixed up the the usual inputs on the mixer, I'd been turning myself down :dash1:

• Haha 1

In my personal experience it's usually the guitarist's fragile ego that gets the hump, not the drummers (though, possibly because about 60% of my bands have been with the same drummer and we're very much alike in being honest, knowing when things have gone wrong and wanting to fix them, plus being old enough mates to know how to deal with each other and criticise without making it sound like a personal attack).

Best/worst one was a guitarist who, after there was any criticism or issues at a gig, whether mistakes in playing or problems with a venue, whatever, would want to calmly discuss it with the rest of the band, to make certain that we all acknowledged all of our mistakes, that he was most definitely not to blame and even if he had made the mistake or caused the problems it was certainly due to us putting him off.

He never flounced out, but did have a couple of very funny, proper toddler style strops

Actually, the best band I was in from the perspective of being honest about stuff that wasn't working was just brutal - we were all comfortable in telling each other what was good or bad, or suggesting that somebody play something slightly differently or re-write a part that we didn't like.  It was a really good tone to set - complete brutal honesty in the studio where you could say anything, and once it had been said and resolved it was finished, and we moved on.

On 05/03/2018 at 23:41, No. 8 Wire said:

Surely with packing up all that kit it was the longest storming out it could possibly be. Did noone say anything during the packing up?

I'm imagining 5 minutes of angry packing while the band looks on in awkward silence...  

Oh no, he was ranting all the time as he packed up. And yes, we did try to talk him down. Didn't work.

• Sad 1

On 06/03/2018 at 08:58, Bolo said:

Really? Sack him even though there may be -relationship troubles -threat of income loss -death or illness of a loved one -mental health issues -brexitstress -a crush on the bandleader and now his heart is broken -insomnia -anything else -none of the above....

Have a chat, he may need a friend.

No. We're all pretty open with each other about things. The only thing that happened to upset him was that his holiday trip to Ireland was cancelled due to the snow.#

This is a man around the same age as me - six decades or so. He's not some angst-ridden teenager.

But anyway, last night we played that gig. Slide guitarist hadn't done any rehearsals drumming with us, just went in cold. It was bloody excellent. There's another gig in a week which the slide guitarist will drum for again, then we'll try and recruit another full time drummer.

The BL happened to find out from someone who'd played with the ex-drummer before that he was prone to occasionally having these tantrums. Still, it's an opportunity to find a better drummer.

• Like 1

On 07/03/2018 at 12:51, discreet said:

Joined a band. At a gig the singer called out a number and the band played it. Thing is, I hadn't learnt it - because I'd never heard it before, we hadn't rehearsed it, it had never even been previously discussed or put forward. To say I was a bit annoyed is an understatement. I should have walked there and then, because as it turned out this was symptomatic of the singer's attitude towards his band, i.e. no consideration whatsoever given to anyone. It didn't end well, obviously...

I avoided my worst nightmare for 40 years (Trying to play a song I don't know in front of an audience) and this idiot made it a reality!! :facepalm:

Just turn your volume down and smile and dance to the beat, while pretending to play the tune. That's what I do when I don't know the song ☺

• Haha 1

On 07/03/2018 at 12:51, discreet said:

Joined a band. At a gig the singer called out a number and the band played it. Thing is, I hadn't learnt it - because I'd never heard it before, we hadn't rehearsed it, it had never even been previously discussed or put forward. To say I was a bit annoyed is an understatement. I should have walked there and then, because as it turned out this was symptomatic of the singer's attitude towards his band, i.e. no consideration whatsoever given to anyone. It didn't end well, obviously...

I avoided my worst nightmare for 40 years (Trying to play a song I don't know in front of an audience) and this idiot made it a reality!! :facepalm:

Once upon a time, a club band I was in had a heavy-drinking singer who would at some point ask "Are there any birthdays in the room?" (OK, I don't mind that) followed by "Has anybody got any requests?" (never never never ask that unless you know every song ever), and then the clincher "Would anyone like to get up and sing a number?". Unfortunately there would often be someone who would come up and sing a song, which would tend to be some Sinatra or Crosby song which the guitarist might know but I didn't. If I didn't know it, I didn't play it, although I never actually carried out my threat of putting the bass down and walking off stage.

6 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Once upon a time, a club band I was in had a heavy-drinking singer who would at some point ask "Are there any birthdays in the room?" (OK, I don't mind that) followed by "Has anybody got any requests?" (never never never ask that unless you know every song ever), and then the clincher "Would anyone like to get up and sing a number?". Unfortunately there would often be someone who would come up and sing a song, which would tend to be some Sinatra or Crosby song which the guitarist might know but I didn't. If I didn't know it, I didn't play it, although I never actually carried out my threat of putting the bass down and walking off stage.

it's happened on occasions when someone has asked to join in on a song, they're always  terrible, then you can't get rid of them, our singer's a bit of a soft touch when asked and normally will give them a go, (fortunately his partner is very good at dealing with drunks) , I always say, if I get asked, we're not karaoke that's next door

Pleasantly I had an opposite experience last night - I've been getting increasingly fed up with the others in the band having lower standards and saying we'd "nailed" a song as soon as we could mostly play the right notes at the right times, always at the same pace and volume, and because there was no communication - none of us were even looking at each other while we were playing. I thought we sounded clumsy and boring, but the others seemed to think it was good enough. I've had words about it, gently, a few times to no effect, and last night I was ready to say if they didn't raise their game I'd be off out of it.

What I actually did was to pick one song that was crying for a dramatic change in dynamics in the middle, and asked them to give me a short bass solo at that point - just the main riff played twice high and staccato, and then twice low and slower with sustain. Nothing fancy - but because it was my solo, the others didn't have to worry about making the change with me, they just had to pick up the slower beat when they came back in after it. And they had to watch me so I could cue them. As soon as we tried it, they got the point, and we ended the night with everyone happily agreeing that we'd taken a step up and would continue that way.

Very glad I didn't throw my toys out of the pram. And credit to the others for understanding and agreeing quickly and positively.

• Like 3

I have a similar situation but in potentia. New band, three rehearsals in and only the most recent one with full kit and PA. All of us new to the songs. I noticed immediately some obvious places for dynamic lifts and drops suggested them, overcame a little resistance which was based around not dropping the song so low that it lost its oomph, and we had another go. Problem is not everyone went with it. 

Now dynamics within a song is to me an absolute corner stone of a good band. In all other respects things sound good and the guys can play but I will have to say something if people can't grasp that the best way to make a part of a song sound strong, loud and powerful is to play more quietly just before going into that particular part.

It may just be the fact that it's all new material to us and concentration is elsewhere at times. I shall certainly let it lie for a couple more rehearsals and see if things improve.

On 3/5/2018 at 22:45, tauzero said:

Just over a week ago, the originals band played a gig, and the second half was somewhat sloppy. So this evening, first rehearsal after the gig, the BL (singer/songwriter/guitarist completely unafflicted by the ego that one might expect him to have) comments to me that I sounded a bit dodgy on song X (I agreed, I played mostly the right notes but a few were well off), then he said to the drummer that there were a couple of songs that had slight issues - one was too fast, and in the other the drummer had started putting in a fill, the timing of which was throwing the guitarist. He wasn't making a big deal of it, just saying which songs we needed to look at and why, which was perfectly reasonable (he'd also apologised on the night for missing a line on one song which had thrown me briefly, so he's happy to acknowledge his own errors). The drummer took umbrage, which we thought initially was him joking about it but no, he went off on a rant about taking this criticism personally, packed up his sticks, pedal, cymbals, and snare, and stormed out, leaving the remaining three of us (me, BL, and slide guitarist) somewhat open-mouthed.

Not sure whether he's definitely gone for good, but with a gig coming up on Friday which we don't want to cancel, the slide guitarist who also plays drums is going to step in and we'll be back to a three-piece.

It looks like it's a good thing he's gone. People with temperament like that are a liability. I'm not the calmest person, but even I would not leave a band hanging. It looks like you've got it covered for the upcoming gig... do it that way and try to get a replacement for the future. I'd personally never go back to playing with that drummer. You need people you can rely on, and accept criticism when is due.

• Like 1

Trouble is real talent if its there will tend to trump everything.

Played a seaside summer season many moons ago with a brilliant but highly strung singer. One evening I arrive to see him talking kinda loudly with the bar manager. A bit later half way through the first set, and its only 7.00pm! (it was a 4 setter) ..he starts berating the guy over the PA.....blimey, there was not a stone big enough for any of us to crawl under.

I do think its particularly true with lead singers that there are some that are so good you simply have to hang onto them despite their failings. He stayed with the band for the next three years and it was good but you just knew you had to tread lightly around him. 

Edited by oldbass

Not quite the same situation but about 10 yrs ago a mate who I'd been in a band with asked me to help out with a potential new project. He was a guitarist and had linked up with a veteran gtr/vox guy who wanted to get out gigging again after a long time off. I hadn't much on so said I'd do it as  a favour. The plan was to initially rehearse with a drum machine (for ease of set up) then get a real drummer in later. He spent an inordinate amount of time getting us to millisecond timing against the drum machine (despite the plan being to use a real drummer eventually anyway) and of the songs he came up with to learn I always seemd to be a bit more up to speed on my parts at the next rehearsal than he was but otherwise he seemed happy enough so we went on for about 5 rehearsals.

Gets to rehearsal 6 and before I could fully set my gear up he starts launching into a tirade venting at everything about me from my playing to my tone and finally, the nail in the coffin, saying he thought we would have been gigging sooner with another bass player. By the time he'd finished ranting I'd already packed my gear up on a trolley and just said 'best of luck with it' and walked out leaving my mate utterly embarassed and gobsmacked. My mate contacted me a couple of days later to say the old guy was out of order to the point he had also quit the project.  Never saw the old bloke in a band, solo act or even at a jam session ever again.

• Like 2