Why become a member? ×

That was an odd rehearsal

tauzero

Just over a week ago, the originals band played a gig, and the second half was somewhat sloppy. So this evening, first rehearsal after the gig, the BL (singer/songwriter/guitarist completely unafflicted by the ego that one might expect him to have) comments to me that I sounded a bit dodgy on song X (I agreed, I played mostly the right notes but a few were well off), then he said to the drummer that there were a couple of songs that had slight issues - one was too fast, and in the other the drummer had started putting in a fill, the timing of which was throwing the guitarist. He wasn't making a big deal of it, just saying which songs we needed to look at and why, which was perfectly reasonable (he'd also apologised on the night for missing a line on one song which had thrown me briefly, so he's happy to acknowledge his own errors). The drummer took umbrage, which we thought initially was him joking about it but no, he went off on a rant about taking this criticism personally, packed up his sticks, pedal, cymbals, and snare, and stormed out, leaving the remaining three of us (me, BL, and slide guitarist) somewhat open-mouthed.

Not sure whether he's definitely gone for good, but with a gig coming up on Friday which we don't want to cancel, the slide guitarist who also plays drums is going to step in and we'll be back to a three-piece.

Jeez, band relationships can be so tricky!

There's usually one person in a band who is a bit touchy about any comment about their playing, however tactfully this is done.

Two ways forward:

1) If your drummer is replaceable, then maybe find someone else who takes the gig on the understanding that the BL has the final say in how the song is to be played. End of.

2) Or, if you think it's going to be difficult to continue without your current drummer, then much gentle counselling and persuasion might be necessary. But this then puts them in a dominant position - they know that they can throw their toys out of the pram at any time and get away with it. And, long term, this could be even worse.   :|

Really? Sack him even though there may be -relationship troubles -threat of income loss -death or illness of a loved one -mental health issues -brexitstress -a crush on the bandleader and now his heart is broken -insomnia -anything else -none of the above....

Have a chat, he may need a friend.

• Like 2

He didn't pack his whole kit.  Just a few pieces,  took maybe 10 minutes,  I'm assuming.  That's not long if the guy was whizzed.  Probably something else going on.  Some people you have to handle with kid gloves.  The question is,  do you enjoy his drumming enough to deal with this facit of his personality.  Some are worth it for the greater good.....some ain't.

Years ago we had a new keyboard player and were rehearsing to go "up north" for 3 days. He casually mentioned that he now couldn't do the middle gig and could we get a dep. There then followed a pretty uncomfortable 15 mins while he was fired, packed up his gear and left the room.

This is why I prefer to be friendly with the guys I play with but not their friend. Try to keep personal feelings out of playing.

• Like 2

reach out to him before it gets awkward :)

In an originals band, the drummer is the easiest to replace. A half decent drummer can fill in quite easily unless you're playing with weird time signatures. Our drummer is recovering from an operation, and at 65 it's taking him a while and we have a big gig in two weeks .We have another drummer on standby but we won't have a chance to jam with him....but he is a pro and I'm good at keeping time while he gets the gist of the song.......

There's something about drummers - you can't tell 'em owt - particularly if it's tempo- or timing-related. Why do they like to think they're metronomes when they clearly aren't? And why are they so touchy about it when you criticise them out of the blue in front of the rest of the band?? :D

Edited by discreet
  • Like 2

Looking back over 40 years-worth of drummers it's clear that the softly-softly approach is a complete waste of energy. However nicely one puts it, drummers always get the hump.

This being the case, I have eschewed diplomacy and now adopt a more robust approach e.g. 'Play it like that again and I'll f**king kill you stone dead on the spot. Savvy?'

OK, they still quit the band but it saves time on all the pussyfooting around.

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

I left a band once after a blazing row at the rehearsal rooms in the coffee machine area, stormed off back into the room, packed my kit...and then had to go back and ask for a hand getting my Ampeg 810 up the stairs and into my car. This is why lightweight cabs are the way forward...Flouncing Ability is an often-overlooked plus point... 

• Like 4
  • Haha 11

9 minutes ago, Muzz said:

I left a band once after a blazing row, packed my kit ...and then had to go back and ask for a hand getting my Ampeg 810 up the stairs and into my car. This is why lightweight cabs are the way forward... Flouncing Ability is an often-overlooked plus point... 

I think anything heavier than around 20kg would seriously hamper an effective flounce. But if you were using the house rig and a cheap bass it would be great to smash it on the floor, Who-style, before storming out. The bastards wouldn't forget that in a hurry. :D

Edited by discreet
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, discreet said:

I think anything heavier than around 20kg would seriously hamper an effective flounce. But if you were using the house rig and a cheap bass it would be great to smash it on the floor, Who-style, before storming out. The bastards wouldn't forget that in a hurry. :D

Best bass for a flounce-smash? Probably a standard-scale hollowbody with no centre block. In advance, fill it with confetti for that extra touch of class.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

29 minutes ago, Muzz said:

I left a band once after a blazing row at the rehearsal rooms in the coffee machine area, stormed off back into the room, packed my kit...and then had to go back and ask for a hand getting my Ampeg 810 up the stairs and into my car. This is why lightweight cabs are the way forward...Flouncing Ability is an often-overlooked plus point... 

I'm sure Alex told me about that one :biggrin:

11 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

Best bass for a flounce-smash? Probably a standard-scale hollowbody with no centre block. In advance, fill it with confetti for that extra touch of class.

:D ...or rabbit tods - for a 'dirty protest' feel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There was an elderly guy that I was kind of friendly with a few years ago. He was actually a friend of my dad's, he took up playing drums after his wife passed away. When he discovered that I was a bassist he took an interest in what I was doing musically. One summer when I was on holiday from uni, using the excuse that he was in a gigging jazz band that was in need of a bass player he managed to obtain my phone number from my dad.

Anyway, the band weren't very good, but I'd gotten involved and was desperately trying to find an escape. It was the second or third rehearsal where someone commented on his drumming abilities. He shouted something, threw his sticks across the room, walked off and sat sulking in his car. I just sat there thinking what the hell have I gotten involved in?

He did that a couple of times. In the end I just stopped going. He kept phoning me, and he'd turn up at the coffee shop when he'd know I was going to be there.

He did the same thing with the various bands he played with.