Why become a member? ×

Jamerson vs Kaye?

I thought it was quite interesting, but the difference in "sharper" tones could just be those notes were played on the D&G strings. I don`t know enough about their individual styles to seperate them but certainly the lower stuff sounds very Jameson, not sure that I could say that the higher stuff wasn`t him/was Kaye.

Lozz 196 - I think (someone may correct me) that Kaye was always a pick player, Jamerson never.

I think the analysis is a bit OTT, but I agree with the overall idea that they both contributed to the final master. I would say the part from 3.15 onwards which he describes as being played by Kaye is definitely played with a pick and has a more regimented feel, and I certainly agree that Jamerson features again later on.

And for those that think this is all a bit boring, well, this is a bass forum, so people who are interested in this sort of fine detail might just like to talk about it...........................endlessly!

• Like 1

Sorry, but any bass player who didn't find that fascinating is tired of life. It doesn't conclusively prove anything, but the guy who produced the video certainly makes a good point. And Jamerson's bass line is just extraordinary.

This old debate again.

We'll never know for sure and to be honest, I'd listen no matter which of the two accomplished players was responsible.  Apologies to the OP but I am avoiding looking at that clip too.  Nothing much to be gained from the analysis.  Much more to be gained from playing the lines.

Maybe this topic needs a subtle detour while BC elves delve into and compile earlier BC posts on the Jamerson/Kaye inquisition:

Who played bass on the UK single release of Remember you're a Womble?  Was it Tomsk Womble or Madame Cholet?

Well I found it interesting. I'm not sure to be honest. There certainly is a tonal difference between certain past of the bass. The Jamerson parts are his style for sure but they sound too rigid. His bass playing is a lot more floaty and bouncy. I don't know what style Kaye played so maybe she can play Jamerson style. So no idea to be honest but I found it interesting still.

1 minute ago, Conan said:

Carol Kaye is certainly credited on the Pet Sounds sleeve notes.

And Jamerson's tone would be "darker" I suppose... B|

I can't remember if Brian Wilson had got heavily into having two bass parts by this point, or if it was later (circa Smile) but there may also be an upright bass and/or Fender VI competing with Kaye's picked Precision for attention!

4 hours ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

I can't remember if Brian Wilson had got heavily into having two bass parts by this point, or if it was later (circa Smile) but there may also be an upright bass and/or Fender VI competing with Kaye's picked Precision for attention!

She has mentioned overdubbing her bass parts with a 6 string Danelectro [bass] probably that you can hear rather than a Fender VI

Edited by pfretrock
added [bass]