Why become a member? ×

Ibanez U.K. Are rubbish

alembic1989

As soon as I'd heard on here that Ibanez was going to re-release the Affirma range, I was onto it straightaway. Sent an email, looking for inf on the spec ( whether or not it was identical to the original, in terms of hardware, woods etc, if fretless version were going to be available....a rough release date, and finally a price)...waited for about a week no response.

So I sent another, AND also rang their sales dept, who confirmed the 2nd email...but knew NOTHING AT ALL about Affirma Basses....but did say they'd get back to me.

Like f**k ..still nowt.

I think this is really poor indeed.

It’s crap they didn’t give you a straight response one way or another after the first email, but seeing as it doesn’t appear on either the U.K. or Japanese Ibanez website yet, I’m not surprised they didn’t give you any information on the spec and price.

39 minutes ago, NJE said:

It’s crap they didn’t give you a straight response one way or another after the first email, but seeing as it doesn’t appear on either the U.K. or Japanese Ibanez website yet, I’m not surprised they didn’t give you any information on the spec and price.

Fair point.

But the guy in sales didn't even know what I was talking about.....that can't be right..I expected that at least.

15 minutes ago, alembic1989 said:

Fair point.

But the guy in sales didn't even know what I was talking about.....that can't be right..I expected that at least.

If it's not on the Ibanez websites, then the info you have is probably leaked before Ibanez has officially released, meaning that the distributor can't say anything until they get the go ahead.

Give them a break

Si

1 hour ago, 2elliot said:

Ibanez anniversary

Check the link for some specs on the bass. It looks lovely. 

That's the 1991 original, hand-built, impossibly hi-spec, and virtually unobtainable. I missed one on Ebay about 10 years ago for stupidly little money.

@alembic1989 is referring to the forthcoming reissue, described as "affordable".

http://geargods.net/namm-2018/ibanez-to-reissue-affirma-bass-in-2018-namm-2018/

Looking forward to seeing some specs/pics. Might be persuaded to part with my orange plastic EDA900 & upgrade...

The sadness of the points raised in the OP are much the same as any industry.

We bought a Honda CRV a few years back and knew there was a new facelift model coming (it was all over the internet); the salesman claimed otherwise, pretty much telling us we didn't know what we were talking about. 

There's just this indifference from sales/support staff; if it's just about a salary, they won't be motivated to make themselves aware of new product.

9 hours ago, Sibob said:

If it's not on the Ibanez websites, then the info you have is probably leaked before Ibanez has officially released, meaning that the distributor can't say anything until they get the go ahead.

Give them a break

Si

But they were on display recently at NAMM n the Ibanez stand...doesn't sound like a leak...sounds like a launch.

• Like 1

Ibanez UK are not the only ones to have this problem. I work for a multi-national company and we regularly have customers asking for product we know nothing about. A lot of is because certain items are only released in certain countries (typically due to differing standards) and they get really annoyed because you did not know about it. It has got worse due to the wide use of the internet.

46 minutes ago, alembic1989 said:

But they were on display recently at NAMM n the Ibanez stand...doesn't sound like a leak...sounds like a launch.

I'm not sure I'd refer to some guitars at a trade show (in a different territory), but not on the official websites, as a launch. At best that's an 'official leak/preview', at worst, a fairly substantial marketing failure on Ibanez' behalf.

It's also worth separating the appointed U.K. Distributor from Ibanez, referring to Headstock Distro as 'Ibanez UK' is a little misleading, they will be at the mercy of any information that Ibanez feeds them. Whilst it's arguable that they should chase info for a new product, if there's no info on Ibanez' website yet, what is there to 'officially' chase?! (You see the cyclical problem here).

Have you contacted Ibanez directly? Probably more pertinent a question to ask them when the UK will receive shipment.

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Sibob said:

I'm not sure I'd refer to some guitars at a trade show (in a different territory), but not on the official websites, as a launch. At best that's an 'official leak/preview', at worst, a fairly substantial marketing failure on Ibanez' behalf.

It's also worth separating the appointed U.K. Distributor from Ibanez, referring to Headstock Distro as 'Ibanez UK' is a little misleading, they will be at the mercy of any information that Ibanez feeds them. Whilst it's arguable that they should chase info for a new product, if there's no info on Ibanez' website yet, what is there to 'officially' chase?! (You see the cyclical problem here).

Have you contacted Ibanez directly? Probably more pertinent a question to ask them when the UK will receive shipment.

Si

Hi Si,

no I didn't think of contacting Ibanez directly...tbh, I guess I'll just wait and see if & when they come..I've taken all the steps I'm prepared to take ( I would've even considered paying a deposit if the price & spec was right)... perhaps they've missed a trick here?

8 hours ago, Sibob said:

Sadly the more pertinent question might be whether the UK will receive shipment. Not all new models get released internationally and the UK is likely seen as a minor and somewhat conservative market.

Unfortunately it wouldn't surprise me if they don't come here, just like all the gorgeous variations on Aria SB basses don't.

2 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Sadly the more pertinent question might be whether the UK will receive shipment. Not all new models get released internationally and the UK is likely seen as a minor and somewhat conservative market.

Unfortunately it wouldn't surprise me if they don't come here, just like all the gorgeous variations on Aria SB basses don't.

Nooooooooooo!!! don't say that!! I've been after a fretless Affirma for years!!

Edited by alembic1989

23 hours ago, Sibob said:

Si

It’s also probably worth mentioning that because Ibanez is distributed in the UK by Headstock Distribution, they don’t have access to all Ibanez models. So what Ibanez present at NAMM might be the range that will be distributed in the US territory but Headstock might not be able to distribute the same models here in the UK. 

Edited by skej21

• 9 months later...

the lower horn looks like a wang

I doubt that you'd have been able to pay a deposit to a national/regional distributor - I would think that you'd have to wait until the distributor finds out if they are getting them or not, then contacts all of the UK dealers with the info if they are and choose your dealer to pay the deposit

This new AFR-range has few, but tiny visible details, that separate the old from the new: truss rod adjustment is in the other end, one more tone knob (piezo), wood under the bridge is dark in every model. Backside has different plates. Serial number is no more in the abalone plate between the bridge and the bartolini. Bridge is very different and the four-stringer lacks the de-tuner (in the bridge).

Would be nice to do some side-by-side testing between the old and new.

• Like 1