Why become a member? ×

Sound recording - what's better than a Rode Stereo Videomic Pro?

Al Krow

I've been using a Rode Stereo Videomic Pro with my videocam for recording live music for a couple of years.

It's not a bad piece of kit and definitely an improvement on the internal videocam mics.

I'm thinking up getting something that would be a step-up in terms of live sound quality recording and was wondering what my fellow BCers are using and whether there is something available that's high quality and not actually going to cost more than my videocam?

Cheers, AK

Edited by Al Krow

1 hour ago, Skol303 said:

Sorry I can't help with this one, but I have a colleague who can... when she gets back from trekking around South America in June! :D

In the meantime, I'm sure someone here will come along who can advise.

Cheers, buddy - that's really appreciated. But actually if you can't help me, on this one, then there may not be too many who can...only 3 months to June :)

Is your colleague a videographer? 

22 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Cheers - but I don't think they are better than the Rode gear?

Ah, you're right. I've just checked the SPL handling of both, and the Rode wins.

I've got a Videomic, but it rarely gets used because the preamp in my camera is too noisy. I might couple it with something else...

• 4 weeks later...

...ok whilst waiting for @Skol303 friend, I think I may have stumbled on an upgrade for the Rode SVMP which is the Rode SVMX. It is nearly 2.5x the price of my SVMP (at > £400)

Not sure whether any fellow BCer has come across or used the Rode SVMX?

The one issue is whether the external mic deals with the limitations of the pre-amp on the camera itself; and whether simply getting a better external plug in mic is going to address this?

• 3 months later...

@Skol303 Remembered our previous discussion on this thread, as I've just been getting to grips with video editing on Power Director**. Is your friend now back from her travels?

** yet one more thing keeping me from spending quality time working with my favourite pedal board paperweight 😂 Please note I didn't actually use the C word...