Why become a member? ×

Notifications

Happy Jack

Question

I'm getting swamped with notifications so I've tried turning everything off.

I still get them, plus now I get a message saying: 

Browser notifications enabled

Your browser has enabled desktop notifications, allowing us to tell you when there's new content even if you aren't active in this window.

Well that's nothing I've asked it to do, and I can't find a setting anywhere in Chrome that's been set to "Ignore what I've actually asked for".

Am I missing something?

9 answers to this question

When you say notifications do you mean the little ones at the top of the page or a little message while you're on a page saying that someone has replied etc?

If you're getting notifications from threads you've previously followed then you need to manage the notification type for the old threads.  There's a screen somewhere for it but I can't recall where off the top of my head and can't look right now

I mean the little bell at the top right which shows the number of notifications I've received since the last time I looked.

And I've set it to 'Don't play a tone' but it still does. 9_9

I'll try de-notifying the individual topics and see what happens.

Well it's patchy. I've switched off everything I can find, closed down individual topics where notifications existed previously, and things are definitely better.

BUT ... I still get a handful of (apparently random) notifications every day, alerting me to posts which are sometimes even on topics I've never opened!

5 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Well it's patchy. I've switched off everything I can find, closed down individual topics where notifications existed previously, and things are definitely better.

BUT ... I still get a handful of (apparently random) notifications every day, alerting me to posts which are sometimes even on topics I've never opened!

Are you following a forum maybe?

Further to Jack's question...

How do I get rid of that notification that regularly obscures the bottom of the page please?  I like the roundel that is shown at the top right of the screen but I get the ache from having that rotten black ribbon notification suddenly block my view of what I am writing in replies to posts.

I want to keep the orange roundel at the top right but eradicate that nasty notification that intrudes at the bottom of the page.  It only repeats what is in the drop-down menu at the orange roundel.  It's not clear which of those two I am dealing with in the account settings page.

I only recently realised that there are three types of notification!  I have stopped 'browser notifications' but I need help with separating the other two.