Why become a member? ×

Curved Capo

Owen

I am looking for a Capo which is curved AND does not have huge trigger on it so that I can use it for some experimenting with bowed harmonics into infinite reverbs in specific keys on my Double Bass, setting the capo on the fingerboard above the 12th fret. Does anyone know if something like this exists? I am aware that this is a bit niche.

TIA

Shubb capos are curved, are 2" wide and will fit a radius of 9.5" - 16". They're not that expensive, last forever and the mechanism is much less intrusive than other types, partic if fitted 'upside down' i.e. slotted on from the top downwards.

I just tried my Shubb at the 12th fret of a fattish Fender neck and it just about covers all six strings. If you've got a particularly wide neck you might consider the Shubb 12-string capo which is 2.25" wide but might protrude beyond the edge of the board.

Me, I prefer the original Shubb C1b Capo rather than the upgraded C1 with the little wheel; the retaining bar on the C1b is flatter and less obtrusive.

Thanks all (as usual) I will try a Shubb and then see if I can take it to a local engineers to bend it if there is not enough of an arc in it. What bends easiest, Brass or Aluminium?

As it happens a friend had a brass Shubb in the drawer. Using upside down,  the bit for behind the neck which is a bit curved did the G and D on fingerboard nicely. I will need to get a wedge in there to get the angle proper. Happy days!

2 hours ago, owen said:

As it happens a friend had a brass Shubb in the drawer. Using upside down,  the bit for behind the neck which is a bit curved did the G and D on fingerboard nicely. I will need to get a wedge in there to get the angle proper. Happy days!

:) When I said upside down I didn't mean back to front! (Though using it back to front as a partial capo is an approach).

Lots of people put their Shubbs on like this:

The Wrong Way

5aa02383145c3_shubbwrong.jpg.a07692e0582ca8fb40004d19f48fae10.jpg

Done as above the locking mechanism gets in the way more than doing it...

The Right Way

5aa0244b02d82_shubbright.jpg.f807eb65096ff8e5334d561d3997b17a.jpg

... with the mechanism on the low E string side of the neck. That's what I meant by 'slotting it of from the top'. Sorry, should have been clearer.

If you're interested in partial capo-ing then Shubb and others make partial capos. The Spider Capo is a complete brain-melt.

spider_capo.jpg 

Spider Capo - clamps individual strings in multiple combinations

Edited by skankdelvar

6 hours ago, owen said:

Thanks all (as usual) I will try a Shubb and then see if I can take it to a local engineers to bend it if there is not enough of an arc in it. What bends easiest, Brass or Aluminium?

Just noticed this: you won't need to bend it. The Shubb will fit the radius at the 12th fret of most every neck.

On 3/7/2018 at 22:22, owen said:

No no no no no

That is exactly how it does work for my purposes. Happy days!

I'm delighted it's working out for you! People often slag off capos as being 'for beginners'. IME, they're the gateway to a world of weirdness.

Have fun :)

The fact that my mate had the "departmental" one in his drawer and I had just bought 3 for 93p each (inc postage) from China meant that I could just take it home and now it is mine.

Using it to change pitch on my G and D on my DB means that I can set up "clouds" of harmonics in the correct keys using my Neunaber reverb on infinite hold. The Neunaber holds the tails after it is turned off so I can just set up shimmery goodness. Of course, the real problem is that I now need a Strymon Big Sky

• 1 month later...
On 07/03/2018 at 17:51, skankdelvar said:

The Wrong Way 

5aa02383145c3_shubbwrong.jpg.a07692e0582ca8fb40004d19f48fae10.jpg

I often use a Shubb “the wrong way” on tunes where I want to flick it off mid-song. For example, in “Under The Bridge” I start with the capo on the 2nd fret for the intro and main song, then flick it off for the end section in A. 

1 minute ago, therealting said:

I often use a Shubb “the wrong way” on tunes where I want to flick it off mid-song. For example, in “Under The Bridge” I start with the capo on the 2nd fret for the intro and main song, then flick it off for the end section in A. 

Indeed, that's a very sensible way to use it if you want to get it off quickly. In truth, there's no wrong way, just different ways. :)

So as to provide closure to my original request I worked that I could go into alternate tunings on the DB to create the harmonic structures I was looking for and therefore the capo became redundant. It was fun while it lasted though!

• Haha 1