Why become a member? ×

Markbass head/fx loop

Al Heeley

FX loops are often switchable, which means you have the option of selecting an unprocessed signal without having to switch a lot of stomp boxes on and off. They are generally at line level, which can be helpful for FX units with higher outputs which can overload the preamp in the head and also mean the FX can be driven properly (useful with a lower output passive instrument), which helps reduce noise.

I read FX loops are meant primarily for rack mounted gear, not so much stomp boxes. I had a try with the pedalboard in the fx send/return loop but they seem to be a bit more subdued. Switching to pre/post on the back made little difference (at quiet room levels admittedly).

How about sans amp bass di? Should that be fed into the front input or the fx return ? Presumably switched to post-eq to go into the power amp section?

1 hour ago, Jus Lukin said:

I'll tweak what I said in my last post to be a bit more accurate, too. The jack output is suitable for running into the front of an amp, but I think it has a very wide range of gain, so can also be run into a desk or a power amp. Same upshot, but more of the full picture!

I think there is a +10db button or "line/instr" selector, depending on the exact model.  Use +10dB/"line" when going into the effects return/power amp.

Also OP mentioned the "post eq" switch on the amp, but that is for the XLR line out on the amp, so unrelated to the effects loop. I.e. it wouldn't affect the sound coming out of the cab.