Why become a member? ×

Play along backing tracks

uk_lefty

Can anyone recommend a good source for (free) play along backing tracks, please? Just looking for a rhythm and chord progression to play over the top of, getting tired of playing my bands set list! Fancy playing some jazzier stuff, chords you don't get in rock, venture in to time signatures other than 4/4, think about what I'm playing instead of just playing the chorus riff, the verse riff, middle 8, repeat. 

Any recommendations welcome!

Thanks  

I occasionally practice with backing tracks.

The down side is your playing in pretty close to an ideal environment.

Playing along to backing tracks can give some guys a false sense of their true ability.

Many times I've felt great playing to backing tracks only to be jolted back into reality when playing with my band. Unfortunately unless your playing with high level pro studio musicians you may also find yourself dissapoinred.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

46 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Many times I've felt great playing to backing tracks only to be jolted back into reality when playing with my band. Unfortunately less your playing with high level pro studio musicians you may also find yourself dissapoinred.

At least it can show that you're actually good enough to play with high-level pros. ;) And also shows you what your band could be like if the drummer was any good... :D

3 hours ago, discreet said:

At least it can show that you're actually good enough to play with high-level pros. ;) And also shows you what your band could be like if the drummer was any good... :D

True, playing along with groove tracks can't hurt.

My point, I wish I had a proper vehicle to employ what I've learned. 

Like discreet mentions, say you bulild up your chops and playing in tempo and then the drummer you play with struggles with tempo. 😢

Blue

Thanks everyone. To your point, Blue, I get it. I play in a great band and there's nothing like playing with actual people, but band time is to rehearse our set list. I don't have the time to join a second band, but I do want to broaden my horizons out by playing along with different styles of music to get me playing in different ways. There's some great suggestions here that I'm going to be exploring in the next few weeks. Thanks everyone!

• 4 months later...

There are some high quality backing tracks for bass at https://quistorama.com/bass-jam-tracks.

The tracks are on YouTube where you will also find the chord progressions - click on the INFO link of each track at quistorama to find the YouTube link. In fact, two of the ten tracks on the 'Groove Time' album are free to download (you just have to sign up to Quist's email list). The files are in .wav format.

I think that the 'Groove Time' album is excellent value at $9.99. I bought it.

On 05/03/2018 at 17:37, discreet said:

I think it shows your good enough to play along to high level pro backing tracks. Actually playing with pros might be a different story.

Blue

What's wrong with just playing along to records/cds/iTunes tracks etc? That's what I do if I want to learn new material. Just ignore the bass that's already there, once you start paying you won't hear it anyway.

4 hours ago, FinnDave said:

What's wrong with just playing along to records/cds/iTunes tracks etc? That's what I do if I want to learn new material. Just ignore the bass that's already there, once you start paying you won't hear it anyway.

I just stick the required track into my DAW and cut everything below 100-120Hz. Hey presto! You can still hear the notes the other guy's playing, but it doesn't interfere with what you're playing. YMMV of course.

3 hours ago, discreet said:

I just stick the required track into my DAW and cut everything below 100-120Hz. Hey presto! You can still hear the notes the other guy's playing, but it doesn't interfere with what you're playing. YMMV of course.

I kind of do the same: using my laptop's speakers there's precious little bass.

On 19/07/2018 at 07:56, FinnDave said:

Nothing wrong.

But it is especially fun to play along to tracks when the bass is not there.

On 19/07/2018 at 07:56, FinnDave said:

That's how I learn covers but I wanted to make my own way through random tracks in different styles and create my own bassline to test myself a bit and do something different.