Why become a member? ×

Hello from Dorset

Triumph_Rock

Hi guys and gals

Well what to say, I'm a lover of music, particularly rock, hard rock, and heavy metal. One of my favourite musicians is Lemmy from Motorhead ( RIP ). I'm looking to start learning to play bass. I don't have any equipment yet. Which is why I am here. I've been reading and searching.

So I'm from Dorset as the thread title says.

If anyone knows of any good places to learn bass or any really cool shops I should definitely check out in Dorset, I'd be interested to know.

Dave

Hi David, I have I just joined today and I'm Weymouth based. I to go to Absolute music in Bournemouth if I want best selection. Guitar mania in between Poole and Bournemouth is OK but much smaller. Still even Absolute music's bass section is a smallish corner in a massive room of guitars. It's a fun place though. Failing that Exeter, you can Southampton or if need max choice take the train to London for the day and hit Denmark Street!  Cheers 

• 2 years later...

Well never say never, finally got myself sorted out now. I got a secondhand Westfield EB3 bass guitar from Absolute Music. And after listening to loads of sound bites and videos, I bought a Warwick BC80 combo amp online from Thomann. Reason I went with the Warwick, it had the cleanest natural, undistorted sound of any I heard online. 

David 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Triumph_Rock said:

Well never say never, finally got myself sorted out now. I got a secondhand Westfield EB3 bass guitar from Absolute Music. And after listening to loads of sound bites and videos, I bought a Warwick BC80 combo amp online from Thomann. Reason I went with the Warwick, it had the cleanest natural, undistorted sound of any I heard online. 

Well done Dave, wise choices. Now you're a fully fledged (playing) member!

• Like 1

Welcome aboard.

I live in Birmingham,  and went to Bournemouth only once in 1988. However I have bought various bits of gear from Absolute Music, and also bought my bass from there two years ago. Sight unseen used, lurking at the dusty back of their website, on a hunch it would be good. It was set up almost perfectly. Amusingly it is still on their website!!

https://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/keith-brawley-kb-24-artemis-custom-bass-guitar-with-gigbag-pre-owned.html

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome Richard,

I've been well aware of Absolute Music for quite some time. I've known for the secondhand Westfield EB3 on there website for quite sometime, over a year in fact. I am surprised they did not sell it already. I did find a new Westfield EB3 for sale in Scotland in music shop in Glasgow, for quite a bit less than there secondhand price, what I didn't know at the time was that the Westfield EB3 bass Absolute Music were selling came with a tweed hard case. I used Absolute Music price match feature on there website. They did indeed match the price, and given that it came with the tweed hard case, which in and off its self is worth quite a bit of money. I thought it was a bargain! Yesterday when I popped over to visit in person, they demoed it for me through a Fender Rumble 40 bass amp. It did indeed sound good! 

Picked a Fender guitar cable to go with it, when I go back to collect it, I will pick up a strap!

David

Edited by Triumph_Rock

Rumble 40 is a nice little practice amp 👍

In annswer to the second part of your post. There are lots of online lessons and what have you, some free some paid. StudyBass.com is one of the best free sites, especially for getting the basics right. That means a proper position so you don't injure yourself and understanding what a bass can do musicaly (other than sound awesome).

Scotts Bass Lessons has a lot of free stuff which is good. His style is a bit manic, but what he says is spot on. The subscription works out just under £100 per year, or four face-to-face lessons, and is also structured well. Getting a few face to face lessons is well worth it at the start as well.

The one thing that will make more difference than anything else is playing with other people. Hard at the moment,  but seriously nothing beats it. 

Enjoy the ride. I've only been playing a couple of years,  work gets in the way of practice, and I can't play with the band as I am the sound engineer. So I am utterly carp compared to where I could be, but still enjoying myself.  Rock on with Paranoid!

• Like 2

Hi Richard, 

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of learning resources, I will definitely check them out. There seems to be quite a lot of learning resources these days, Fender even has an app on Google play store.

Thinking to come to the Big Fat SW Bash, does it matter what my playing level is? Is it a big jam session or are there lectures? 

Managed to pick up the bass guitar today, the amp has shipped, so hopefully it will arrive soon. When I have it all I will post photos. 

David 

Edited by Triumph_Rock