Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz Elite - Blend Pot replacement

sheeny

Hi there,

Can anyone point me in the right direction to source the following (genuine preferred)?

CTS 280S1109 (20K dual variable resistor - PCB Mount long) Body assembly height is approx 15mm/0.6"

I'm replacing a faulty blend pot in a Fender Jazz Bass Elite 2016

Images attached FYI.

Very difficult to find.

Thanks in advance.

20180304_090331.jpg

20180304_090402.jpg

20180304_090410.jpg

CTS280S1109.jpg

If it is in a 2016 bass, I would be talking to Fender about it - it isn't reasonable to have to replace the pot after only 2 years (or less!). They should repair it themselves, but might be equally happy to send you a $5 part for you to solder in, if you are happy to do so.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, I don't believe the Fender warranty is transferable being a second hand purchase. It turned out to be an issue with the PCB after all of that, so I have a replacement part (full PCB assembly) getting shipped out to me in Australia. Funny, Fender Australia would not respond to any of my emails. USA was very professional.

I was contemplating a John East preamp, but I decided to keep the bass as original as possible. Even though, the blend control when it is working operates on a very narrow band from the centre detent. You'd expect more from such an apparently "high end" Fender instrument?

Over and out!

48 minutes ago, sheeny said:

Thanks, I don't believe the Fender warranty is transferable being a second hand purchase. It turned out to be an issue with the PCB after all of that, so I have a replacement part (full PCB assembly) getting shipped out to me in Australia. Funny, Fender Australia would not respond to any of my emails. USA was very professional.

I was contemplating a John East preamp, but I decided to keep the bass as original as possible. Even though, the blend control when it is working operates on a very narrow band from the centre detent. You'd expect more from such an apparently "high end" Fender instrument?

Over and out!

I'm pretty sure that's a characteristic of the Fender Deluxe series. Mine does it, and so does every other Deluxe I tried back when I got it in 2012. (unless they're all faulty). Doesn't bother me much but it was odd at first. Let us know if the replacement is any different.

On 3/27/2018 at 00:49, project_c said:

I'm pretty sure that's a characteristic of the Fender Deluxe series. Mine does it, and so does every other Deluxe I tried back when I got it in 2012. (unless they're all faulty). Doesn't bother me much but it was odd at first. Let us know if the replacement is any different.

Subscribed, as I noticed this same thing on my Elite Precision.  Interested to find out if the replacement PCB assembly fixes / changes it..

I've always wondered why these preamps do that. They're more like a 3-way switch than a blend, once you're past about 5% in either direction you're pretty much either full bridge or neck.

While we're on this topic, I've also found that I can't cut anywhere near enough treble in active mode, so I tend to use the bass in passive mode a lot of the time. I think it's fine for most people, I just happen to like a dead tone.

In any case I still think these preamps sound killer, and I love my Dlx to bits, I don't think I would swap it for any other Jazz out there, but I do wonder why the preamp is designed like that.

• 1 month later...

So the New PCB arrived, it's been installed and it works as I expected it should albeit still a narrow blend band from the centre detent. Anyway, it's as I believe it should be. I guess I just lucked out with a faulty board. :)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
On 04/03/2018 at 03:30, sheeny said:

Hi, I have the same problem. I can't even get a replacement board from either uk or usa. They just won't help me. I might have a go fitting a different brand of pot. Are you sure it's 20k? It's an unusual value, how do you know its 20k?