Why become a member? ×

GAS For an Ibanez BTB

CobiaMatt

I have a BTB33 Volo, although I’m on the verge of selling it (for no other reason than GAS for something completely different.)

Strung E-C as Ibanez intended, upgraded with an Aguilar OBP3 preamp and a Gotoh drop tuner on the E string. Veeery fast and smooth to play, thanks in part to Martin’s setup at @thebassgallery!

16CEB425-814B-4F40-A17A-AF70B8C3693A.jpeg

6560BAEB-BBD9-4D6E-8C96-CAF80D56674C.jpeg

F2ACF7E6-CB09-44FB-A954-1284FFCA023B.jpeg

AB2B8C6B-3F13-4AAA-B6EB-293E97BA1B5B.jpeg

E7CA3192-E0F3-4803-B70C-59CC108B15E7.jpeg

In terms of bang for your buck, I kinda feel that Ibby put many brands (including other personal 'favourites') in the shade.  Eg if I want to get a neck through with individual bridge pieces on a Yammy, this is currently the preserve of the very top of their range the (albeit gorgeous!) BBNE2. And that does not come cheap!  

• Like 1

I'm buying an old (2007/2008) BTB1206 from a bass-chatter this Sunday, will post pics when I have it

I've always liked the looks of the BTB, but hadn't tried one until recently (just assumed I'd be more of a SR guy - tried plenty of those, but never liked one enough to buy one) but boy did the one I try feel amazing. So I just had to have one :biggrin:

Edited by LegateNaarifin
Got date from seller

On 05/03/2018 at 10:11, LegateNaarifin said:

I'm buying an old (2007/2008) BTB1206 from a bass-chatter this Sunday, will post pics when I have it

I've always liked the looks of the BTB, but hadn't tried one until recently (just assumed I'd be more of a SR guy - tried plenty of those, but never liked one enough to buy one) but boy did the one I try feel amazing. So I just had to have one :biggrin:

Interesting! That BTB1206 did look good! And if I hadn't got myself an used SR1206 a few months back from a fellow BCer, I'd have been definitely interested.

What was it about the BTB that 'clinched it' for you that the SRs didn't quite manage to do?

Edited by Al Krow

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

What was it about the BTB that 'clinched it' for you that the SRs didn't quite manage to do?

The scale length definitely helped, I'm a big fan of 35" for the low B. And something about the shape of SRs just doesn't resonate with me, I always think they look better in picture than person. But that of course is completely subjective :D

Yeh I get that the 35" can be a plus for the low B (although the low B on my SR Portamento is just lush!) My other two SRs (4 and 6 strings) are set up with a low E bottom string, so not an issue.

And I think the neck through is also just lovely. 

For me on the appearance, I kinda felt the BTB horn was a little too 'Court Jester' and that's been my only hesitation on appearance front. Again completely subjective, I know!

Does the BTB1206 come with Barts? The other feature I love with my two fretted SRs is the pups - they both have Nord big singles, which are just great. I think the new BTB1805 / 1806 are Aggies - I'd love to see a Nordstrand option available for these.

I've not owned a neck through bass yet, can't say I've heard/felt the difference on basses I've tried. Might notice something after I've played it for a while, though

I can get that with newer BTBs, the older ones had slightly wider horns which is just right for me.

Yeah, Bart pickups. I really like the look/sound of Nordstrands, might look into swapping pickups at some point if it takes my fancy

15 minutes ago, LegateNaarifin said:

I've not owned a neck through bass yet, can't say I've heard/felt the difference on basses I've tried. Might notice something after I've played it for a while, though

I can get that with newer BTBs, the older ones had slightly wider horns which is just right for me.

Yeah, Bart pickups. I really like the look/sound of Nordstrands, might look into swapping pickups at some point if it takes my fancy

So after you've swapped the Barts for Nords, you'll have a pretty close to a 'high GAS' bass for me - so you'll know exactly whom to PM when the time comes! :drinks:

Look forward to getting your pics and first impressions when you've had a chance to put it through its paces.

• Like 1

On 05/03/2018 at 13:25, Al Krow said:

Does the BTB1206 come with Barts? The other feature I love with my two fretted SRs is the pups - they both have Nord big singles, which are just great. I think the new BTB1805 / 1806 are Aggies - I'd love to see a Nordstrand option available for these.

A year or two ago it was Nords across th whole “premium” range, but with the latest generation it seems Ibanez have gone for Aggies in all the BTB premiums and Nords in the SR premiums. I can understand why they did it as it’s another big contributing factor in differentiating between the two models. Not necessarily ideal for those of us who, for example, may prefer the BTB body shape but the tone of Nordstrands! No doubt you’ll be getting a killer sounding bass though, regardless of pickup brand. 

I had BTB405 for a while. It was a beast of a bass but so comfortable to play. 

It's a shame* the BTBs are all natural finishes these days.

*by 'shame' I mean 'fantastic' as i have no GAS for a new BTB... 

19 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

A year or two ago it was Nords across th whole “premium” range, but with the latest generation it seems Ibanez have gone for Aggies in all the BTB premiums and Nords in the SR premiums. I can understand why they did it as it’s another big contributing factor in differentiating between the two models. Not necessarily ideal for those of us who, for example, may prefer the BTB body shape but the tone of Nordstrands! No doubt you’ll be getting a killer sounding bass though, regardless of pickup brand. 

So just to confirm would the BTB 1206 be Nords or Barts?

12 minutes ago, Graham said:

I do have ongoing GAS for the previous generation of BTBs - Nordstrand pickups and Mahogony bodies, particularly in the finish I think was called Midnight Purple Flat?

I think @Machines had one and it looked stunning from the photos.

Ah, the 1605/1606. Deep Twilight Flat I think, but I may be wrong. You’re right, they looked amazing! There are a few new model BTBs in the same finish but not with the Nordstrand pickups and the upgraded preamp!

17 hours ago, CameronJ said:

Ah, the 1605/1606. Deep Twilight Flat I think, but I may be wrong. You’re right, they looked amazing! There are a few new model BTBs in the same finish but not with the Nordstrand pickups and the upgraded preamp!

Yes, Deep Twilight Flat sounds more correct, I vaguely remember it being a BTB1605DTF I was lusting over online

2 hours ago, LegateNaarifin said:

Just had a nice meet up and chat with @alinbassplayer and walked away with this beauty! BTB1206 in natural, such a nice bass to play. A bit more deep and growly than my Yamaha (which snuck into the second pic) and also a tad lighter. Haven't changed the strings yet but already loving the sound

Congrats on the new bass! Btw what model is your Yammy? Seems like we've both got a taste for quality Japanese basses! :) 

On 08/03/2018 at 19:02, Graham said:

I do have ongoing GAS for the previous generation of BTBs - Nordstrand pickups and Mahogony bodies...

I think @Machines had one and it looked stunning from the photos.

That sounds like a pretty darned good combination to me too! If you manage to dig out those pics, please do re-post (or maybe don't as I'm trying to resist! Hmmm...did I not put a note to self to avoid this thread?? :D)

ibanez-btb1605-dtf-5-string-bass-deep-tw

I take it this isn't helping xD

9 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Congrats on the new bass! Btw what model is your Yammy? Seems like we've both got a taste for quality Japanese basses! :) 

That sounds like a pretty darned good combination to me too! If you manage to dig out those pics, please do re-post (or maybe don't as I'm trying to resist! Hmmm...did I not put a note to self to avoid this thread?? :D)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Graham said:

ibanez-btb1605-dtf-5-string-bass-deep-tw

I take it this isn't helping xD

Thanks for digging that out :drinks: 

It's kinda perfect:

Ibanez

35" scale

5 string

Neck through

Individual bridge pieces

Versatile EQ

Nordstrand  pups

Cameron hasn't been anywhere near the tuners.

Fortunately it's not for sale! (Tell me it's not for sale... :D)

PS they have put through a couple of refinements in the more recent models, if I recall. One being no longer having the battery cutting into the neck-through at the back, and secondly a more rounded finish to improve playing comfort and avoiding that 'Rickenbacker' edge. 

Edited by Al Krow

4 minutes ago, LegateNaarifin said:

Thanks! Its a TRB1006J. It does, I'd happily have another bass from Japan, the quality is always there it seems

Aha - so you're an exclusively 6 string bassist?! Are you playing in any bands and, if so, and uploaded material of you playing? (My Yammy is a BB1025).