Why become a member? ×

1974 Precision bass - am I paying too much?

Misowaki

So the saxophonist in 2 of my bands has had a '74 P bass kicking around for years and I bought it (or am slowly buying it) off him.

I obviously tried to get it at a steal but in the end we agreed on £1200.  I've seen some go for less, I've seen some go for more but it's not in exemplary condition and no hard case.
Did I just diddle myself or is that a fair price?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

74p.jpg

Bass looks ok to me in the photo. If its a genuine American 74P bass i would have thought £1200 wasn't too bad. I'm no expert in them to be fair so i'll be curious to see what comes back on this thread. Like a nice maple neck :D

You can pick up a decent case for not a lot anyways.

Dave

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Bass looks ok to me in the photo. If its a genuine American 74P bass i would have thought £1200 wasn't too bad. I'm no expert in them to be fair so i'll be curious to see what comes back on this thread. Like a nice maple neck :D

You can pick up a decent case for not a lot anyways.

Dave

Oh, the case isn't an issue, I've got a nice tweed case for it but I did see a very similar bass with a flight case go on ebay for £3 less haha

And you can't see the condition from that pic.  There are a couple of tiny holes in the fretboard behind a couple of frets and there is a weird depression beneath the A string.
Most curious though is a kind of dot pattern on the body in certain lights, like old comics or a Roy Lichtenstein pic.  Maybe it's just a mark on the lacquer from storage?  My paranoia thought at first "oh my god, this wood finish is printed on, it's a fake!" but that's a bit extreme.  Especially as you can see the joins in the wood and the less than smooth neck pocket on the underside is concurrent with other Ps I've seen of the same age and everything looks legit otherwise.

18 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

If you are happy it’s a good price, you can always find a cheaper one somewhere so it’s not worth looking.

Yeah, I know, you're right, and it sounds amazing.  Plays great too but just wanted to check =)

Thanks all for your wisdom.

• Like 1

Tiny holes behind some of the frets. Is it possible its been refretted at some point. Is it that kind of hole.

What do you mean by a depression behind the A. ?

Any chance of a close up of the body and neck holes you are talking about ?

Dave

From the photo, its difficult to tell if the bass has it's original finish, or if it has been stripped and refinished as natural. If it has been refinished then that will approximately halve the value of the instrument as a vintage piece.

How fair a price you paid depends entirely on how original the bass is and it's overall structural condition. To be honest with you, it is impossible to tell that just looking at the photo. I'm not trying to sound negative at all - if you enjoy playing this bass then great - but accurately assessing vintage Fenders is a bit of a "detective" job at the best of times.

Well imo it`s a beaut, great looking bass. It`s inevitable there will be some wear on a 40+ year old bass, don`t let that bother you unless it affects playability, in which case a luthier can sort. Genuine road-wear on a vintage instrumet = yum.

On 3 March 2018 at 13:04, Misowaki said:

Oh, the case isn't an issue, I've got a nice tweed case for it but I did see a very similar bass with a flight case go on ebay for £3 less haha

Was it a white one, all original '77 P?

Edited by walshy