Why become a member? ×

College Audition Advice

Tugmonkey

Hi guys, so as the title suggests, I have a college audition and am looking for a bit of input on the audition song choice. 

My audition is the 13th of March so between work and commitment, I don't have a huge amount of time to be learning anything too above my ability. 

The course is to do a BA in Applied Music, and I got through the first part of the process by recording a performance of until you come back to me by Aretha Franklin. This time it' a live one and I'd obviously like to top Aretha. 

I was thinking of doing Sir Duke, because I know it and can play it well enough to get through it with minimal hiccups. However, I'm concerned it won't be 'impressive' enough to get me on the course. 

So basically, what do you guys think, and if not sir duke, do you have any suggestions?

It's better to get something right, than try and do something ambitious and mess up.

When I auditioned for my UG course I did a chord/melody arrangement of the jazz standard 'when I fall in love'. Not at all flashy but I'd been playing it for ages and knew it inside and out, plus it leant itself to a bit of expressive playing, sliding the odd chord about and such.

2 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

What's the brief for the audition?  

Audition
Applicants are asked to give a short 5-minute performance on their principal instrument. Performance material should demonstrate your level of technical, musical and interpretative skills.  In addition, you may also perform on a second instrument or equivalent (e.g. composition and creative skills; music technology including computer-based music production).

7 minutes ago, ambient said:

It's better to get something right, than try and do something ambitious and mess up.

When I auditioned for my UG course I did a chord/melody arrangement of the jazz standard 'when I fall in love'. Not at all flashy but I'd been playing it for ages and knew it inside and out, plus it leant itself to a bit of expressive playing, sliding the odd chord about and such.

This was my thought too, because I'm so comfortable with it,  I can easily improvise or throw in some fills of my own to show a bit more of what I can do. 

6 minutes ago, Tugmonkey said:

This was my thought too, because I'm so comfortable with it,  I can easily improvise or throw in some fills of my own to show a bit more of what I can do. 

You could maybe do an arrangement of it, rather than just start at the beginning. That would show arrangement skills. My piece was my own arrangement of 'when I fall in love'.

I auditioned for the Guildhall jazz MMus a long time ago - but afraid I don't have any tips (I didn't get in, lol).

I wonder if "Sir Duke" is slightly overplayed - but if you're thinking Stevie, how about "Do I Do" instead?  It grooves nicely for a while, then there's a technical part in unison with the horns, and then a modulating bit where there's space to be tastefully interpretive ("My life has been waiting for your love" etc), followed by a bass breakdown section.

11 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

I auditioned for the Guildhall jazz MMus a long time ago - but afraid I don't have any tips (I didn't get in, lol).

I wonder if "Sir Duke" is slightly overplayed - but if you're thinking Stevie, how about "Do I Do" instead?  It grooves nicely for a while, then there's a technical part in unison with the horns, and then a modulating bit where there's space to be tastefully interpretive ("My life has been waiting for your love" etc), followed by a bass breakdown section.

I actually like this suggestion, had a listen and learned up to the 2nd verse last night. Gonna chip away at it again today then make my mind up, but cheers for the suggestion!

17 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

Where are you auditioning for? Different colleges will expect different skillsets and skill levels depending on how few spaces they have available. Places like BIMM or ACM have much lower standards compared to somewhere like RCM.

The course is part of the UHI in Scotland. As far as I'm aware it's one of the main, if not the main place to get an education in music in the East and Highlands of Scotland. I expect it to be popular for that reason, and suspect the standards are higher than average at least, but I just don't know.