Why become a member? ×

Budget 5er - pick one! (MTD KZ5, Tanglewater Aspiration Elite & Ibanez BTB)

Me And My Bass

Looking for a decent 5 on a shoe string . . Lovely looking MTD KZ5 on here I am interested in. These is also a couple of options locally.

So for tonight’s lightweight cash bout we have - a MTD KZ5 vs a Tanglewater Aspiration Elite vs a Ibanez BTB!

Who would you put your money on and why?

Cheers! C. 

I'd buy the MTD, because I've seen good players playing them, they sound very good and, like Roger Sadowsky, Mike Tobias isn't the kind of guy to put his name on anything that isn't top quality, even his budget line basses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I'd buy the MTD, because I've seen good players playing them, they sound very good and, like Roger Sadowsky, Mike Tobias isn't the kind of guy to put his name on anything that isn't top quality, even his budget line basses.

Would Chris May not be the same? I have never tried a Tanglewood Overwater

22 minutes ago, Me And My Bass said:

Would Chris May not be the same? I have never tried a Tanglewood Overwater

Might be. Overwater are a very good company making an excellent product. I don't know anything about the Tanglewood's though.

• Thanks 1

I own an Ibanez BTB and an MTD Kingston. They’re both very good and I’d buy instruments from both companies again without hesitation. Overall though, the MTD wins for me. You have to play one to understand - I just love the neck profile with a passion and it makes me want to play it all the time.

• Thanks 1

I can certainly vouch for the Tanglewaters.  I had an Elite 4-string for a few years which was a great bass.  Only fault was it was a little bit heavy for me, couldn't fault the contruction.

• Thanks 1

They have recently started offering upgrades and customisations for the Kingston range. I was their first customer and 2 x sets of soft touch knobs are in the post.

I have already upgraded the pickups and preamp and am considering a new bridge. For a left hander they are the ultimate project bass.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JohnR said:

They have recently started offering upgrades and customisations for the Kingston range. I was their first customer and 2 x sets of soft touch knobs are in the post.

I have already upgraded the pickups and preamp and am considering a new bridge. For a left hander they are the ultimate project bass.

Did you go directly through MTD themselves?

I went through their US distributor Dana B. Goods. Incredibly helpful people who put a lot of effort into selling me a few dollars worth of knobs. They are offering the full USA spec parts as upgrade options. Tuners, bridge, pickups and preamp.