Why become a member? ×

Tc electronic bg250 112

Phil-osopher10

• 3 weeks later...

I just brought home a 112 to compare to a Fender Rumble 100.  Such different amps.  I think the Toneprint thing for the amp is a bit over-hyped.  The sound is decent though perhaps a little compressed?  I haven't had a chance to open it up for maximum volume.  I've only had them both for less than 2 days. 

The 112 seems more sturdily built than the Rumble. The knobs are more professional looking and feeling than the Rumble.  The Fender knobs and buttons feel a bit cheap to me.  But we're talking about $300 amps here.  

Which one I will keep? I don't know.  It is possible that I will return one should I come in contact with a Gallien-Krueger of similar specs and compare that. But I'm leery of the MB 110 having a much smaller cab and a 10" speaker. 

I have one, I got it when my ancient Fender Rumble 60 started to hatch gremlins. The weight (or lack of) sold it to me immediately! It's not as loud as the Fender, but has a nice growly tone with a dab of the 'spectralflump' or whatever the hell it's called. Build quality seems nice - (I took it to bits for no reason like I do with pretty much everything I own!) time will tell on the durability front. I use li'l combos as monitors with the PA doing the out-front work, so the on-board DI gets plenty of use, and I like the 'post FX' feature. 

It ain't loud, though.  Of my 2 regular drummists it's fine with the one that likes to frequent jazz bands, there's even a bit of head room. With the Bonham fanatic, however, it's like it's not even on, even at full throttle. I had to buy a cheap 1x15 combo just hear literally anything!

Well... The Fender Rumble 100 went back to the store today.   The Fender sound is unique. In the bedroom a little too boomy and trebly at the same time.   Even if the BG250 isn't super loud it will still hold its own in a "normal" band mix better than the Rumble.  So far I haven't played anywhere that needed monster power and most situations go into a DI -> house system.  I've started to experiment with a guitar (perish the thought) EQ pedal. I'll post that somewhere, I'm sure. 

Update:  I've had the BG250-112 home for a few days.  It's a good amplifier, for sure.  But I just played a Gallien-Krueger MB112, 200watts/12" and all I can say is wow!   I also played their MB110 and that too was impressive.  The MB110 puts the Fender Rumble 100 to shame in a handbasket.   My sales buddy whom I do a fair amount of business did me a solid and quoted me a great price on the MB112 and I couldn't pass it up.  I'll have both amps here for a few days and I'll be able to provide more information later in the week. 

Getting back to what I'm learning about the BG250... As I said it is a very good amp. Better than the Rumble 100 in the same price ballpark.  What concerns me about the TCE are the "fancy" electronic components. i'm seeing reports of electronics failures and has me questioning this amp.  It's got some sort of freqency shifts in the tone knobs and the Toneprint thing which is cool for some folks, but for me unnecssary.  I do like the built in bass tuner a lot as I only tune in standard tuning. But it's not chromatic, so if someone needs alternate tuning, they'll need an external tuner.  The GK is smaller, lighter simpler... but about $100 more. 

I passed on the opportunity to own one and by the sounds of it I'm glad I did. I was half looking to replace my current head and cab to go down the combo (1 lift) route, thinking 250 watts would be AMPle. I had a 115 combo for a while but it suffered from the ever present "coil whine" so I had to move it on. I'll keep a look out for another combo, ideally a tecamp 112, one can dream