Why become a member? ×

It's bandageddon here cos' of the weather

Les

It's cold and horrible here in the centre of the known universe but we haven't got any snow really.

So far we've had 5 bands pull on our circuit. Two gigs were within a couple miles of me but our drummer is away with work and 

of the three deps we use regularly ones in Finland, ones snowed in, and the other ones gigging, ah well.

Anywhere else having this with their bands ?

Earlier in the year I contacted a load of new (to us) venues with our details and availability. As expected I didn't hear back from most of them - that's generally the form for getting gigs. I know the score and try to chase up and personally visit as many places as I can but can't make it everywhere.

Today I've had messages from 3 of them saying that their band has pulled out and are we available?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, colleya said:

Earlier in the year I contacted a load of new (to us) venues with our details and availability. As expected I didn't hear back from most of them - that's generally the form for getting gigs. I know the score and try to chase up and personally visit as many places as I can but can't make it everywhere.

Today I've had messages from 3 of them saying that their band has pulled out and are we available?

It's an ill wind that blows nobody any good..! ;)

2 hours ago, steantval said:

Our gig has been cancelled tonight because our vocalist decided he was not prepared to travel, the other three of us were still up for it.

Not a good situation.

Similar situation with our drummer tonight, pushed the point that he has an old car that needs new front tyres but is more worried that someone will mess up and smack into him. Had to travel from Reading to the Twickenham area, as far as I'm aware that part of the M4 and W.London are ok. Oh well, didn't have time to get a dep and as we're in Horsham tomorrow night it looks like he's bailed already and we have one booked already. Problem is our singer is making sarky comments about it on our WhatsApp thread and our Facebook page, loves airing all the stinky poo in public she does! 

7 minutes ago, barneyg42 said:

. Problem is our singer is making sarky comments about it on our WhatsApp thread and our Facebook page, loves airing all the stinky poo in public she does! 

Yea, she may have a point but that's best kept to a band 4 way.

Though if you'd like to share the link I have popcorn and am settled in for the night xD

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Les said:

Yea, she may have a point but that's best kept to a band 4 way.

Though if you'd like to share the link I have popcorn and am settled in for the night xD

Lol! If I'd posted in the Democracy/Dictatorship thread it would definitely err on the dictatorship side in her case, she books most of the gigs and is good at it but gets very spiky if anyone starts kicking back at something which is something the drummer is prone to do! (Always bloody drummers) On the side she admits she hates the bloke so something will have to be done at some time as it can get a bit ridiculous sometimes, and yes he is a Richard! I've not gigged for months due to illness and we've not started our year yet due to rehearsals so I was really disappointed to miss tonight with lots of new material and again tomorrow if we use a dep, who's good but only knows our old set!

Happy days!!

We picked up a gig here in Belfast last night at short notice because the band that was due to play was coming from England and their flight was cancelled due to the weather.  And the snow was heavy enough here too.

Every cloud has a silver lining...:biggrin:

Frank.

We had to cancel our gig tonight in Cheltenham, as getting band and crew there from Yorkshire was 

just not feasible. Hate doing it, but it's probably for the best as conditions were so bad. Got the date

rearranged already though for early April, so hope the punters will be happy.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, Les said:

In all honesty there is a line to be drawn, I think there's some mardy gets around but it isn't worth an incident. 

It only needs one of the band to be stuck doesn't it ?

You suggest they are being mardy, I would hazard a guess and say that they are probably just nesh.  I cannot comment on your assertion that they are also gets however because I am far too polite.

Incidentally, what sort of incident would you have had in mind?  A public flogging, a tar and feather dress rehearsal, waterboarding with melt water from the flurry of snowflakes that made them stop at home perhaps?

Better luck next time.

32 minutes ago, Yank said:

Maybe I should come over the pond and dep.  I can deal with snow.

I spent years living in Finland, I can deal with snow, but over here there aren't many snowplows out, and most people don't have winter tyres (we rarely get these conditions) and so it's not your own driving that can be a problem, but other people who can't deal with snow.

And then the audience is not likely to be huge either. 

I had two gigs booked for this weekend, but both have been cancelled.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Yank said:

Am sure they deal with snow better in the US than here, but maybe because you get a lot more of it?!!

We were faced with a 400 mile round trip in dreadful weather with road closures all en route, to possibly face

a depleted audience, many of whom probably couldn't get there and therefore lose their outlay on tickets. By

re-arranging the date, hopefully the majority will now be able to make it and we will hopefully have a band and

crew arrive and return home home safely. :)

Edited by casapete

35 minutes ago, Yank said:

I always had the suspicion that we are a bit of a laughing stock for anyone who has lived with snowy conditions for more than a week at a time.  Thank you for that.