Why become a member? ×

Squier jazz bass replacement pickups recommendation

timmygospel

John East J-Retro preamp... no question. And for pickups... I personally love the DiMarzio Area J. They're humbuckers but retain a lot of the classic Jazz bass spirit. They work very nicely together with the J-Retro (I have the same combination in 4 strings, after trying quite a variety of pickups)

I remember watching a demo / comparison of four different types of Aguilar Jazz pickups and they sounded fantastic. It stuck in my memory ever since and I was really impressed. Personally I liked the 4J-HOT set which were a little hotter, but I bet the 4J-60 or 4J-70 (60’s or 70’s style) would be great for R&B style stuff. 

Heres the video! 

Edited by Rikki_Sixx
Wrong pickup name!

I can't speak for a 5 string replacement set, but I just replaced my Squier VM70 Jbass4 with a set of Aguilar AG 4J-HC pickups. OUTSTANDING!  I am SO happy with them. They say the stock Duncan Design pickups are decent but the difference is night and day.  So great having noiseless. I also spent some $ on having professional fret leveling and setup and a Gotoh bridge and when I pick up a (stock)  American J Bass and think I prefer my Squier I think I must be out of my mind.   I have to give the Aguilars 5 Stars+.

• Like 1

I also have a Squier JB modified. I first replaced the electronics  by a sadowsky VTC preamp (4 knobs). It requires to move the jack to the side of the body, so I had someone do it for me for 50 euros.

It was a great improvement, but I still lacked some definition, especially on the B string. My bass teacher plays a Sadowsky and the comparison was cruel to me. Hopefully, I came across a set of Aguilar AG 5J HC pickups on a popular french classified adds website.

So I bought them and installed them. Honnestly, it was worth the money... I now have a very  very nice sounding instrument for less than a thousand euros. The Sadowski might still be better, my bass has a better quality over price ratio ;-)

Edited by mc82

Have you considered putting a decent harness in first, as than can make a significant difference.  Kiogon on here does great work at a fraction of the cost of new pickups and will work with you to get the sound you want.

On 3/11/2018 at 04:48, Rikki_Sixx said:

I’ve been leaning toward their hot pickups but playing recently with headphones on the hum has been grinding my gears! Are the Aguilar hum-cancelling set much different to the Duncan Designed pickups that come as standard?

Yes... MUCH different.  The AG 4J-HC are noiseless. I've experienced no noise through amps, or house system. My condo has dirty electricity and sometimes even with some noiseless pickups I get a bit of hum. NOT with Aguilar 4J-HC.  They sound terrific and I'm so happy with them.  A BIG upgrade from the Duncan Designs. Much clearer sound. Not cheap. They cost more than the bass (which I bought used for $150) but well worth it for a bass that's a keeper.  Even if I upgraded basses I'd take the Aguilars with me and put the DD's back in when I'd sell it.  

• Thanks 1