Why become a member? ×

Drivers in a SWR Super Redhead

Gunsfreddy2003

Evening all,

Can anyone tell me what brand of speakers/drivers were standard fit in the SWR Redhead combo?

Or alternately what makes a good replacement if the original ones are knackered without sacrificing the gorgeous tone that these amps are renowned for.

thanks

Originals were called PAS, but they don’t exist.  Eminence make a few good replacements, look up on Talkbass and you’ll see lots of info.  I wouldn’t worry about trying to reduce the weight much - the cab and amp already weigh enough 😳

Never done it, but probably- although the difference could be subtle.  Something like the Eminence Legend BP102 is often suggested as the best current production option.  

Someone with more tech knowledge could give more detailed advice, but there are a few things to consider.  SWR were a mainstream company so didn’t use exotic speakers - modern replacements will be “better” as they will generally handle more power. SWR didn’t limit the low end of their amps, so the speakers are a bit vulnerable if there is a lot of boost in the low eq.   Also, I think the amp used a 4ohm internal load, although it could also drive an 8ohm ext cab down to 2ohms.  If you are likely to use an extra cab, think about making the internal load 8ohms so the amp doesn’t run really hot! 

Edited by BassBod

It's a real shame that SWR were not clear who's drivers they used so that direct replacements could be found.

Having never changed the drivers in any cabs that I have owned I don't really know what impact it has. My nightmare scenario would be to change the drivers and find that it changed the redhead tone massively.

2 hours ago, Gunsfreddy2003 said:

It's a real shame that SWR were not clear who's drivers they used so that direct replacements could be found.

Very few manufacturers reveal whose drivers they use, and none reveal the complete specs on OEM drivers, if they reveal any specs at all. It's very much a smoke and mirrors situation.

If it helps, I changed speakers in a Baby Blue 2x8” combo a few years ago.  Originals were Bag End/Eminence, changed to modern Eminence Beta’s.  Only compromise was its now 4ohm into internal speakers, so can’t really add extra cab.  The sound is pretty much the same, maybe a touch more upper mids but essentially it’s the same amp, but the speakers work. 

One more thought.  SWR used the same 10” drivers for the Goliath series cabs, so a search will also provide info on replacements and people’s experiences.  The PAS drivers haven’t been available for a good few years, so there will be some suggestions.  

I have an early Eden built Redhead, and the speakers look different to later ones (black cones, not grey) so SWR did vary things through production runs.  They sound slightly deeper to me, but it’s subtle. 

The last version of the super redhead used eminence drivers, and reading the review sounded better for it....it handled the low B very well.

If you emailed eminence, they would suggest a replacement!....the dimensions of the cabinet remained the same as far as i could see.