Why become a member? ×

Ampeg pf800... or...

Booooooom

A little background... I've happily been gigging a Trace AH300 12 band for a good few years... whilst happy with the sound and plenty of volume, the fact that, although being the size of a briefcase, it weighs the same as a small planet (and the two TE cabs aren't exactly light either). It has also fatigued both my back and my regular offer to many to 'feel the weight of that...'

also...

Having read a lot on here about lightweight class D heads, I nabbed an Ampeg pf500 around this time last year... Loved the sound so soon followed a pf210HE then I really loved the look and flip-top aspect to it... gigged a few times and used a lot at home so started to look at getting a second cab for larger gigs... then... the head died 🙁, not completely but not useable... Took it to an amp tech I've used a few times who couldn't do anything but who also hates class D technology and told me to steer clear!... back on here and read about the early unreliability issues (mine was a 2014)... Carried on using the Trace head with the pf210HE for smaller gigs and home practice...

but...

I still like the idea of a portaflex rig, enjoy the ampeg tone (usually play bluesy/soul stuff on a precision) so been thinking of getting another... The sensible side of me thinks taking another punt on another used pf500 is a little foolish but (again thanks to you lot!) a new Ampeg pf800 with warranty could be the way to go...

however...

used ones seem hard to come by and only a few places (PMT, GAK, Gear4music, Bax and Thomman) list it new (but usually only available to order) but no one with any sort of offer (been looking for 5-6 months)

so...

I've read only good things on here about the pf800 but would be interested to hear from other recent purchasers, where you got them from, anywhere that has them to try instore and why Ampeg/uk sellers don't seem to be stocking/promoting them at the moment (I appreciate they've been around a while but they are still in the current range).

also...

Whilst I've set my mind on a pf800, I'd like to hear if anyone has had similar thoughts but gone with what you consider to be the competition (around £500) - especially if you are particularly happy with... I've tried a few other brands... Mark bass - nothing I didn't like but nothing that made me go wow... Tried a GK MB200 although not powerful enough the sound was okay - how do the larger GK heads compare to a pf800 or anything else? I'm not into the modern hifi sounds... How would an Aguilar TH350 compare? If money were no object I'd probably just order an new Aguilar TH500 with a Barefaced cab or two (even second hand) then move onto something else if it didn't work for me... but I certainly can't stretch to anything like that at the moment and besides, I like the idea of a portaflex rig...

The Ampeg Portaflex stuff is great. People still bring up the initial run of the PF500 heads going wrong (which was corrected years ago) but this was never even an issue with anything else from this range. I still have an old PF500 as my backup head. I'd looked at the PF800 as my upgrade but opted for the PF50T when that was released because 1) I liked the all tube nature of it and 2) the aesthetics of it appealed. To be fair most stuff these days is pretty good but if you like the Ampeg PF range, I kinda think your mind is made up.

8 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

The Ampeg Portaflex stuff is great. People still bring up the initial run of the PF500 heads going wrong (which was corrected years ago) but this was never even an issue with anything else from this range. I still have an old PF500 as my backup head. I'd looked at the PF800 as my upgrade but opted for the PF50T when that was released because 1) I liked the all tube nature of it and 2) the aesthetics of it appealed. To be fair most stuff these days is pretty good but if you like the Ampeg PF range, I kinda think your mind is made up.

I went with a PF50T too with a PF115HE cab but I find it a little underpowered for larger venues and use a PF350 as a backup as you can pick this entry level Portaflex model up new now for around £250. With hindsight however, as much as I love the vintage Ampeg fliptop styling,, the PF50T/115HE "rig" weighs a ton and only has a top handle to lug it around so when my new lightweight Fender Rumble 800 Stage Combo turns up I think it'll be going on FleaBay!

I had a PF500 and, shutting down from time to time aside, it felt a lot quieter to me than the stated 500w.

I've had my GK MB500 for a couple of years now and love it. I'm only just tickling the volume controls to be heard in the band and it has the same boost control as the RB series heads but doesn't get quite as gnarly as the 700RB. That being said I enjoy having my bass rig stored in a cajon bag and a one handed carry.

If I was to change amps tomorrow then I'd probably buy another one as there's nothing that can touch it for me. The Fender Rumbles do come a close second though

Edited by Delberthot

I had a couple of PF500s, and without going into the goods/bads, loved the tome, so have always been interested in the PF800, and since it`s come out I`ve not read of any issues at all with them. My fave of the Class D amps though is the Ashdown RM - either the 500 or 800 would be more than enough, plenty of power and a great tone. And for reference my two fave amps to play through are Ashdown ABMs & Ampeg SVTs so am not recommending the RM based solely on my Ashdown use.

7 hours ago, rushscored4 said:

With hindsight however, as much as I love the vintage Ampeg fliptop styling,, the PF50T/115HE "rig" weighs a ton and only has a top handle to lug it around

It does and I flight cased mine! :/ It looks and sounds great but perhaps not my finest decision.

• Like 1

I've got an Aguilar Tone Hammer 350 and it's amazing.

I also used to own an Ampeg PF500 for a few years before that.

IMO the Tone Hammer has a much nicer sound. Really warm. The high control is set at a really nice frequency/Q so that it brings clarity back without sounding hi-fi. 

You can sweep the mid-range so extra versatile there. The bass is set in a very musical spot too, compared to the Ampeg which I found a bit too muddy.

The drive control isn't overdrive as such - it just adds extra warmth/harmonic content with a little tiny bit of break-up - I think it's meant to emulate a tube gain - it works nice :)

I've never really struggled for volume with it unless the band is super loud (with Barefaced Compact against drum kit etc) and it's much smaller than the PF500 so you could probably still use it in the Portaflex capacity.

Oh and it's never skipped a beat, unlike my old PF-500 which would cut out half-way through a set every now and then!

Thanks for the responses. The tone hammer 350 is the one amp I've been most distracted by. My head says a 350 can't be in the same league as an 800 but I read on here a while back that (words to the effect of) a TH350 plus (insert any cab) would be more than enough for most bass players.

I think the Tone Hammer 350 uses the same B&O module as the GK MB500,  GB Shuttle 6, Tecamp Puma 500 etc.

From what I've heard they don't run it at full capacity/underrate it, which I guess it why it's so reliable/never breaks up. It's still plenty loud though - I found it put out more volume than my PF-500 at any rate. :)

• 1 month later...