Why become a member? ×

Pound for pound, what's the best P bass?

rushscored4

I've got a serious GAS problem at the moment and have a few quid burning a hole in my pockets to buy a new P bass, ideally in sunburst, Fiesta red or Olympic white with a tortoise shell pick guard and rosewood fretboard or black with a maple neck and board. I've been surfing the usual sites like eBay and Gumtree and I'm torn between the following options :

• Fender American Vintage '63 Precision (my YOB) in sunburst on eBay pre-owned for £1,150
  • Fender American Vintage '63 Precision in sunburst on eBay ex-demo for £1,567
  • Fender Precision 1973 model in sunburst on eBay for £2,350
  • Fender Precision Custom Shop '64 model in sunburst on eBay for £2,495 (heavy relic which I love)
  • Fender Precision Custom Shop '64 model in Dakota red on eBay for £2,175

I've also been looking at Sandbergs (I own a TM4 already), Maruszczyks and Limelight Precisions which are all terrific value for money. There's also a stunning original 1966 model on here for £4,750 which is within budget but I'm not sure I can justify spending over four times as much for an original vintage P bass compared to a modern reissue!

By the way, tthese basses are spread across the UK so trying them before I buy would be almost impossible. So, what would you do in my position?!

The YOB thing is not something I'd ever go for, but wouldn't knock anybody for feeling this way. O just get the feeling that it could be for you that it is an itch you are going to have to scratch!

Personally, at that budget, I'd go back to Jon Shuker for another of his masterpieces.

• Like 1

If you think there is a chance you could change your mind and end up selling this bass, my suggestion would be to avoid anything from a small boutique builder unless you can buy secondhand. It will be and incredible instrument but there is a very good chance you will take a big hit on it if you decide to sell.  I have seen stunning custom built uk basses go for silly money secondhand.

I tried a 63 Precision and it was a superb instrument, finish, feel and resonance where amazing but it’s Fender and I could have just played a good one.

The same goes for Fender CS stuff, everything I have played by the CS has been incredible but others have played duds. The only saving grace with Fender is that if you buy secondhand you don’t often loose money in my experience. In fact I sold one for more than I paid on eBay once.

Go and try them if you have a chance and you might find a stunning Fender CS.

That '73 is overpriced.

I've got a '73 which I love, a Maruszczyk which I love, and a Limelight P which I love. I've rarely played a new Fender that justifies the expense. 

If I was after a vintage vibe, I'd spec a Limelight or hold out for a decent, and decently-priced early 70s.

If I wanted something with a funkier spec, I'd go Maruszczyk.

• Like 1

I saw and incredible looking Maruszczyk precision somewhere secondhand for about £700, it was black with tort guard, very classy. They are seriously good and the necks and fretwork are amazing.

There's so much choice nowadays for a good P bass, and it doesn't need to have a "Fender" logo on the headstock.

If you're after an investment, you could do much worse than buy Gary Mac's P bass - there have been a few similar items available on eBay recently - all significantly more expensive than Gary's.

If you're after a player and don't want to take a big hit if/when you sell you really have to go down the used route. Lots of love seemingly for the Limelights, similarly Squiers and Laklands. Maruszczyk have gained a big following in a short time.

LBGS just a few days away...I'd want to be looking at everything that's available and you probably won't get a wider range of gear than at the show.

44 minutes ago, NJE said:

I saw and incredible looking Maruszczyk precision somewhere secondhand for about £700, it was black with tort guard, very classy. They are seriously good and the necks and fretwork are amazing.

There was one like that on Facebook before Xmas for £675 from someone not too far from me in Wigan. Doesn't appear to have been sold and he posted a new profile pic a few weeks ago of him playing the bass so maybe he thought better of it!

1 hour ago, wateroftyne said:

That '73 is overpriced.

I've got a '73 which I love, a Maruszczyk which I love, and a Limelight P which I love. I've rarely played a new Fender that justifies the expense. 

If I was after a vintage vibe, I'd spec a Limelight or hold out for a decent, and decently-priced early 70s.

If I wanted something with a funkier spec, I'd go Maruszczyk.

The '73 seems about right looking at other examples although that includes a few from Andy Baxter who's definitely not cheap. It's got a lovely natural relic finish which looks pretty cool.

Funnily enough I'd watched your videos on YouTube before I (re)joined basschat and that was one of the main reasons I was thinking about a Maruszczyk!

3 minutes ago, rushscored4 said:

The '73 seems about right looking at other examples although that includes a few from Andy Baxter who's definitely not cheap. It's got a lovely natural relic finish which looks pretty cool.

Funnily enough I'd watched your videos on YouTube before I (re)joined basschat and that was one of the main reasons I was thinking about a Maruszczyk!

Nah, it's way overpriced for a private sale. Repro pickguard? That's a few hundred quid off the asking price right there... not to mention non-original case.

(...assuming we'r talking about the same bass!)

21 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

There's so much choice nowadays for a good P bass, and it doesn't need to have a "Fender" logo on the headstock.

If you're after an investment, you could do much worse than buy Gary Mac's P bass - there have been a few similar items available on eBay recently - all significantly more expensive than Gary's.

If you're after a player and don't want to take a big hit if/when you sell you really have to go down the used route. Lots of love seemingly for the Limelights, similarly Squiers and Laklands. Maruszczyk have gained a big following in a short time.

LBGS just a few days away...I'd want to be looking at everything that's available and you probably won't get a wider range of gear than at the show.

I'd love to go to the LBGS but got too many commitments this weekend plus a bit of snow has closed the country again!

There were a couple of Limelights for sale here but I assume the guy behind them (Mark?) can build one to spec? There's a fella not far away in Salford who does the same with Fender and Squier parts then relics them and flogs 'em on eBay for £350-£400. I bought a 60s style jazz bass from him last year and it really looks the part and actually sounds pretty good too.

And if you are not bothered about the Fender logo then you have a world of choice.  My keeper p bass has been / is a 1987 G&L SB1 (the precision mk3?) which I bought in 1990.  1980s models can be picked up for £650 or so, imo it is a better bass than the 77 p I bought new (which was pretty good).

Edited by 3below
corrections

2 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Nah, it's way overpriced for a private sale. Repro pickguard? That's a few hundred quid off the asking price right there... not to mention non-original case.

(...assuming we'r talking about the same bass!)

I think we are talking about the same one (seller TV Junior in Bristol) but it looks like he might be a trader as he sells quite a few guitars and basses. Andy has a similar one in stock for about £600 more.

Just now, rushscored4 said:

I think we are talking about the same one (seller TV Junior in Bristol) but it looks like he might be a trader as he sells quite a few guitars and basses. Andy has a similar one in stock for about £600 more.

He might be, but I'm assuming he doesn't have a shop, and if he does it ain't in central London.

Andy Baxter's has the original guard and case. That's your £600 right there.

3 minutes ago, 3below said:

And if you are not bothered about the Fender logo then you have a world of choice.  My term p bass is  a 1987 G&L SB1 (the precision mk3?) which I bought in 1990. 1980s models can be picked up for £650 or so, imo it is a better bass than the 77 p I bought new (which was pretty good).

Hadn't thought of G&L to be fair so I'll check some of the earlier stuff out. I'm not fussed about logos and the second hand P basses from Sandberg and  Maruszczyk look great value for money. Like I said in the OP, I own a Sandberg TM4 already and I love the tone and sustain it gives as well as the beautiful hardcore aged looks.

3 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

He might be, but I'm assuming he doesn't have a shop, and if he does it ain't in central London.

Andy Baxter's has the original guard and case. That's your £600 right there.

True but I'd take the guard off and nobody but me would ever see the case!

it seems nobody would go for either of the Fender AVRI '63 models then? The one for £1,150 is in a vape & pawnshop in Redditch and started £300 higher which was definitely too rich. He says he's turned offers of a grand down already but I reckon he'd let it go for a touch more and although these have been replaced by the very similar '60s Original model you still the Vintage sunburst versions advertised as new in a few stores for around £1,800.

23 minutes ago, rushscored4 said:

There's a fella not far away in Salford who does the same with Fender and Squier parts then relics them and flogs 'em on eBay for £350-£400. I bought a 60s style jazz bass from him last year and it really looks the part and actually sounds pretty good too.

If anybody wants to check him out he trades under the name materialguitars on eBay and he is currently selling a very similar J bass to mine - item number 222843853126.

As always, it all comes down to personal preference. For me, it would be a sandberg any day of the week. Not just because the build quality is excellent and they sound superb, but mainly because i know the neck profile and general 'feel ' of the bass will suit me perfectly. This is entirely personal. 

Fwiw, as great as they are, i think fender basses are grossly overpriced these days, especially the current range, when you look at what quality handbuilt instruments you can get for the same or often less money. 

1 hour ago, rushscored4 said:

True but I'd take the guard off and nobody but me would ever see the case!

it seems nobody would go for either of the Fender AVRI '63 models then? The one for £1,150 is in a vape & pawnshop in Redditch and started £300 higher which was definitely too rich. He says he's turned offers of a grand down already but I reckon he'd let it go for a touch more and although these have been replaced by the very similar '60s Original model you still the Vintage sunburst versions advertised as new in a few stores for around £1,800.

Yeah I would, I mentioned earlier that I have played a superb example, actually two come to mention it. I thought it was an incredibly well made, very playable and resonant instrument. At £1000 it’s a brilliant bass especially if you get the case and all the case candy. Try it and inspect it though as we all know the big companies let a few Friday afternoon basses through the doors on occasion.

12 minutes ago, NJE said:

Yeah I would, I mentioned earlier that I have played a superb example, actually two come to mention it. I thought it was an incredibly well made, very playable and resonant instrument. At £1000 it’s a brilliant bass especially if you get the case and all the case candy. Try it and inspect it though as we all know the big companies let a few Friday afternoon basses through the doors on occasion.

Cheers Nathan, it's a fair trek from me to Redditch and the country's gone to ratshit again with a bit of snow but it does come with a Fender case and all the candy. £700 off the new price does seem like a good deal but it's possibly too new and shiny for me as I prefer that natural 30-40 years roadworn heavy relic look that Sandberg and Fender Custom Shop have perfected over the years.

37 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

As always, it all comes down to personal preference. For me, it would be a sandberg any day of the week. Not just because the build quality is excellent and they sound superb, but mainly because i know the neck profile and general 'feel ' of the bass will suit me perfectly. This is entirely personal. 

Fwiw, as great as they are, i think fender basses are grossly overpriced these days, especially the current range, when you look at what quality handbuilt instruments you can get for the same or often less money. 

My only concern about buying a VM4 is that it's a similar pickup configuration to my TM4 so will I just be buying it for the P bass look instead of a J bass? I also prefer the previous VM shape and style to the latest model but I'd rather buy second hand anyway as I'm sure I 'lost' around a third (about £700) as soon as I walked out of the door at PMT Manchester with mine...

Whilst they`re expensive, the Custom Shop instruments are pretty darn fine. The downside with a reular 60s/70s instrument is that at the time it was just part of the standard range, so it`s the age that is dictating the price, not so much the levels of quality. Whereas with the Custom Shops it`s the craftmanship and selected materials for construction, so with the money being spoken about I`d be looking at those CS ones.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Whilst they`re expensive, the Custom Shop instruments are pretty darn fine. The downside with a reular 60s/70s instrument is that at the time it was just part of the standard range, so it`s the age that is dictating the price, not so much the levels of quality. Whereas with the Custom Shops it`s the craftmanship and selected materials for construction, so with the money being spoken about I`d be looking at those CS ones.

Cheers Lozz, the sunburst '64 one on eBay for £2,495 is gorgeous. Does that seem like a decent price? It's not far from you in High Wycombe!

1 hour ago, TRBboy said:

Without wishing to hijack this thread, if you were wanting to try a Sandberg (a traditional P single pickup version) which model(s) would you go for?  The range seems pretty baffling to me but I would like to try one for myself.