Why become a member? ×

Who’s gonna make us a preamp??

Rabbie

I am loving my Remic mic; I think it reproduces the bass immensely better thank any pickup, whilst being easy-peasy to fit and in theory providing good feedback resistance (I haven’t pushed it beyond a duo yet). Still, there is a gap in the market for a preamp that fits its needs. I think I’m under-using it now because I haven’t found a preamp solution that is easy to use at gigs, so when I play with a band and a house amp, I just plug my Krivo pickup in my old Headway.

The Remic calls for an xlr input: no double bass preamp normally has that. Yes, the Headway DB2 does, but... the Remic needs a true 48v Phantom power and the Headway only offers 12v, not enough.

the Grace Felix is amazing, but it costs more than 1k!

one could use a mic preamp, or mini mixer, but loose all the double bass specific parametrics and the feedback control knobs/phase reverse etc...

I’ve heard the Zoom A3 might work, but it’s marketed for acoustic guitar so I don’t know anyone who has tried it.

ok, I can add in a phantom power box to the Headway (that’s what I’m doing now), but I would prefer having a single box.

any suggestion?

Edited by Rabbie
Missed out the last sentence

Thanks Bassace. Acoustic Image things can be a little steep and in the past I have been unimpressed with their speakers, which I found a bit weak even at relatively low stage volumes. Maybe I do need to look into it again though because they’d suit my current setup well. Thank you!

I’ve never been an AI speaker fan, Rabbie. Probably my best, most versatile, Rig was a Clarus on top of a stack of 10” and 12” EA Wizzies. Nowadays my preferred amp is a Puma 500. But it’s not as versatile as a Clarus. If I need any extras they have to be outboards.

• Thanks 1

Vintage revolution acoustic box live mate. The gen 2 box is out soon or even now. You can still order the gen 1 from loopers paradise. Ron Wouters on FB upright union has one.

Edited by symcbass
Error
  • Thanks 1

Try to find an AER BassCube first generation with 3 inputs totally mixable. Ok it'sa combo, not a preamp, but it's not that heavy, quite small and certainly the best combo ever, soyou won't need anything else. Period.

And it's working great for electric bass as well.

Sy, it’s the new model. Yes it was Max I had a nice chat with, lovely guy. Like me, an Italian abroad, they are based in the Netherlands. I’ll keep you posted via PM once I’ve got it and gigged it a little.

as for the AER, I’m sure it is great but what I need most is a preamp. I don’t take an amp to a lot of gigs, but a preamp yes to every gig.

And I've checked : the preamps with a 48 Volts phantom power are quite rare. This Vintage Revolution Acoustic Box™ Live looks to be some kind of Swiss knife at an affordable price. Just let us know.

That said I really love my AER BassCube first generation (updated for free by the AER service in Germany).

Guest Jecklin
On 05/03/2018 at 20:25, Rabbie said:

Had a nice chat with the vintage revolution guys and I think I’m sorted. I’ll post my thoughts if anyone is remotely interested...

That vintage audio box looks great!

I'd be very interested in your thoughts

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I’ve had the chance to play about with the Acoustic Box 2, literally just launched by the Vintage Revolution guys: it is absolutely fantastic!!

it has everything I’ve ever needed to get a great sound from my mic and all the parametric controls to tame feedback and naturalise sound. Gigging tests start later this month, as I’ve only just received it in the post.

here’s the lowdown

https://www.vintage-revolution.com/acousticbox2

Edited by Rabbie
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Live tests done: it’s great! Total game changer: full control of bass sound. Many feedback fighting tricks. Sadly haven’t used the effects live yet but I’m trying to think up some ways of sneaking them in because they are also remarkably excellent. Running my Remic mic through it: such a joy to sound like a double bass and not a cello in a tin can.

everything feeds from the box: 2 x lines to front of house and a line to a stage amp for monitoring. And very intuitive to operate. I’m sure I can get a lot better at it because I am not a tecchy person, but already, wonderfully pleased with it. Totally worth in my opinion.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Hey, wow a year! Yes I am indeed still pleased. This year it's been in various places and performed equally well.

it has done old village halls, pubs, a couple of theatres (old and new), a couple of festival tents and a mini tour in Canada where I had to remember to switch voltage! All with the remic 5400LB and all very much troublefree. Frankly I didn’t have to mess much with the dials in hardly any of the venues. I am starting now to play a bit with the inbuilt effects and I’m liking them. I have not blended the signal with the channel for piezo Pickups, but again I’m starting to toy with that idea if I’m going to be using more effects, in order to get even more feedback rejection tools. Great bit of kit though! Thank you for reminding me about this. Any question let me know and I’ll try to help.

I use a Headway EDB 2 as a preamp on my double bass, with a TC spectracomp in front of it.

The notch filter drastically reduces acoustic feedback, the TC ensures a much more even tone from the bass. About £300 for the pair.