Why become a member? ×

My bass life winding down?

GreeneKing

This is an interesting thread for me at the moment.

Having just quit my band of 6 years, I've lost all desire to play. Still listening to a bit of music everyday, but only picking up a bass for about 30 minutes a week, and that's if I'm lucky, or simply bothered. I simply don't have any desire to play, let alone join bands. I just feel like I've got as good as I ever will, and done with the instrument what I'm capable of.

I've decided to give it 3 months. I'f by then I'm in the same mindset, then I guess I'll accept it, and  realise that it's time to move on....then they'll be a bumper sale of stuff on here!

...or like the OP, pick up a uke! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, spongebob said:

Having just quit my band of 6 years, I've lost all desire to play. Still listening to a bit of music everyday, but only picking up a bass for about 30 minutes a week, and that's if I'm lucky, or simply bothered. I simply don't have any desire to play, let alone join bands. I just feel like I've got as good as I ever will, and done with the instrument what I'm capable of.

I've decided to give it 3 months. I'f by then I'm in the same mindset, then I guess I'll accept it, and  realise that it's time to move on....then they'll be a bumper sale of stuff on here!

If my band folds, I'll be in an awful predicament.

First of all my desire to play in 2018 is just as high if not higher than it was in 1966. You would think someone with passion and conviction would have gotten further than "bar band" level.

It will be very difficult to find a band with steady good paying gigs in my area. And even if I found one, there would still be the issue of "fit". 

Thereis nothing none of us 60 plus guys can do about our age except hair dye. 😁

Blue

I stopped playing completely around 2001 after 30 years of continuous gigging. And when I say completely, I mean I literally didn't pick up a bass for the next 16 years.

Then 6 months ago on a sudden whim I got my one remaining bass out of the cupboard and started fumbling around on it. To my almost disbelief, it all came back very quickly, and now I'm a reasonably competent bass player again, and loving it all over again.

So maybe the trick is to stop completely, and then just let nature take it's course - you might never play again, or you might have a joyous renaissance - time will tell.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, spongebob said:

This is good, very good. Why not bass and uke? No reason but it's what gives me the desire to pick up an instrument. Maybe the bass will come back? U-Bass? No thank you, that's missing the point for me.

6 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

Lovely story, enjoyed reading that so thank you for sharing. I think I have one of your old basses, a teal green 2eq Music Man Stingray with maple neck. Mega light for a Stingray and I named her Sinead 😊

26248_1361392307664_6386138_n.jpg

I'm pretty sure you had my favourite SGC Nanyo for a while too :)

21 hours ago, GreeneKing said:

I think that most people have had an ex bass of mine :D . Yes I can readily identify with the cyclic thing.

I know I have, and still have it :-)

Thanks for posting this, it's an interesting journey and some of us who fell into music by accident or circumstance would do well to remember how hard some people work at it.

I was hoping that Bigfoot would inspire you to take up double bass though. It is possible to play a ukelele clawhammer-style like a 5-string banjo, but my party invitations seem to have dried up since I started doing it . Good luck for the future and never say never.

I define myself as a musician as opposed to a "bass player",  "guitarist" or whatever.  I play multiple instruments.  If I'm not gigging,  I'm learning new stuff on other instruments.  Keep the learning going.  Investigate new instruments or styles.  It's not just about gigging.  Make new friends in new sandboxes.

Still hoping this story has a happy ending, which is that you find a band that needs a bassist for a few gigs. It makes me realise how lucky I've been picking up the bass late in life and going pretty much straight into a gigging band.

It's funny how bassists are like the hardened drinkers in the pub, we all want someone to share a drink with us.

I played piano from so long ago I don't remember, then guitar from early teen, then bass. Moved to the states in my early 30s and although I bought a guitar (and some keys that I still have!) there, I didn't play it much and when I got back I gave the guitar away, leaving me with just one bass. Completely lost interest in it, didn't even look at the guitar or bass. I didn't play until my 40s when I got interested in the guitar again, then got back into bass a few years later, but still nothing major. Then 4 years ago I decided I wanted to do more, replied to an advert on join my band, auditioned, they rejected me, then called me back a week later having changed their mind and I have been gigging pretty well continuously since then.

Sometimes life just has different things going on

3 hours ago, Linus27 said:

Lovely story, enjoyed reading that so thank you for sharing. I think I have one of your old basses, a teal green 2eq Music Man Stingray with maple neck. Mega light for a Stingray and I named her Sinead 😊

I have one exactly the same except with a clear Perspex scratchplate.

• Thanks 1

On 02/03/2018 at 12:49, GreeneKing said:

I think that most people have had an ex bass of mine :D . Yes I can readily identify with the cyclic thing.

My name is Nik, I have incurable GAS and have owned at least 2 of Peter's ex basses... ☺

Thanks for sharing your story Peter, and it's good that music is going to continue to be a big part of your life.

I saw a ukele orchestra play on the seafront here 2 years ago and they were absolute brilliant and so much fun!  Maybe that's the kind of gigging experience you've got to look forward to from now on...

Gotta say that it's always been a pleasure dealing with you and seeing your contributions over the years here on BC, so I do hope you'll still be checking in from time to time?

By the way, whatever you do in terms of uke gear, make sure you get a Class D model with flats, LEDs, in-ears and loads of 'heft' ! 😁

Nik

On 01/03/2018 at 22:35, Bluewine said:

Playing bass has been my life since 1966.

When driving to gigs gets difficult and my playing starts to decline, I'll still milk it out for another 3-4 years.:)

Blue

(grin) 74 in June and thought I had pretty much had it when our singer died late last year.  Then a drummer mate informed me that he had booked me to play a couple of local pubs with another couple of friends...  Just got booked for Strawberry Fair festival in Cambridge  right around the time of my birthday! And I thought it was all coming to a close

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/03/2018 at 09:44, Linus27 said:

That is a beaut for sure and I'd like to have one like that m'self yet I'm unlikely to as while I still love playing bass and other instruments I don't enjoy gigs anymore -other than a few summer festivals - and  nowadays only really enjoy listening to stuff labelled as electronica  where there isn't much call for bass. So it makes sense for me to sell off most of my instruments and just keep an acoustic guitar, one electric , one bass and a basic drum skit. I'll be tough picking which to sell but straight thinking calls for it

• 11 months later...

Well time moves on and I’ve actually got playing again. Just home stuff in my little practice room. 

I am really enjoying getting back to ‘bassics’. I bought a Lakland Skyline P/J £600 off in the recent GuitarGuitar sale as I wanted a P with just 4 strings. I love it, such a good bass and the Plek’d board makes it a real joy to play. Then the desire for a matching 4 string J sorta grew and I bought a Mexican Jazz from Nick on here. In part I grabbed it because it had Hipshot upgraded tuners and luthier refined fretwork. It’s a joy also, two great basses (and my 2  ACGs and Rita) I’ve already added a Hipshot Type A bridge and some new pickups so some things don’t change....

What is different is that instead of learning theory followed by picking up tabs for songs I’m working on learning to improvise and use my ears more.

Loving it all again. I hope a band opportunity doesn’t come along as I can’t afford a rig:)

• Like 4

I definitely seem to be purposefully gravitating toward joining bands with a lower gigging schedule so I guess I am subconciously beginning to wind down. I can certainly see a time where I will sit down, weigh up if the ballaches of doing it significantly outweigh the enjoyable bits and when they do I will move on to spend more time doing other things.

• Like 1