Why become a member? ×

My bass life winding down?

GreeneKing

About 22 years ago, at the age of 41, I was walking my beat in Plymouth along College Avenue, past Manson’s Music and I peered into the window. That re-triggered my desire to learn to play a musical instrument. I’d been keen at school, but my parents decided that as they weren’t musical neither was I and that the fiver deposit on the school trombone wasn’t going to happen despite the music teacher pushing for it. I’d been a marching band snare drummer and I’d had a bit of bandsman trombone practice time in my previous 20 odd years in the RN but that was it.

Why bass? To be honest it was because I thought it would be easier, oh and different. I bought a headless Hohner Jack from Manson’s and my bass journey commenced.

Bands, who’d have them eh? I got involved with some work colleagues and friends in Plymouth and we struck up a regular practice in Saltash Rugby Club. It was pretty dire, I was pretty dire too to be honest and we sort of collapsed after a while. I learnt a lot though and the taste for gigging was firmly instilled in my brain. I also started listening to bass and becoming sort of ‘bass centric’ in my interests and music tastes.

In 2004 I moved North to Kendal for a change of career. I had by now acquired a superior case of GAS that would see over 100 basses pass through my hands to date. I think that’s quite an achievement although I’m not sure if it’s one to be proud of. I actually had 27 at one point (yes I was single at the time). I saw an ad in Mad Monks in Kendal for a bassist and headed North to Penrith for an audition.

My first ‘proper’ band? Well sort of. Regular practice with 3 local guys who were all older than myself and generally a well-heeled bunch. The band’s music was supposedly a democratic choice but the singer/lead guitarist had a habit of going down the pub, referring to us as ‘his band’ and stating that he wasn’t going to play any of that crap that the bassist suggested. The Rolling Stones were the best band in the world and ‘Dead Flowers’ was their best number…..

So, the writing was always on the wall really. The other guys were great, and we actually gigged three times. We opened at a local ‘mini-festival’, did one gig in the local for our supper and one charity gig. I loved it and put up with a lot of aggro in the hope of becoming a regular gigging band, but it wasn’t to be. A shame really. It got bitter and twisted at the end, mainly between the said lead guitard and the rest of us.

I then had the experience of getting into a punk band that folded and then re-formed with a new bassist. The lengths some people will go to to avoid telling someone that they have another bassist who’s their mate etc. and fits the band image better.

Finally, a really long stretch with a group of guys in Kendal who were actually good, particularly the lead guitarist, but we never made a gig. At the best we sounded really good. All classic rock which became very tiring after a while. I think that some of the guys didn’t really want to or have the bottle to gig but wouldn’t admit it. This all went on with the odd change of personnel for years.

Recently I thought, enough is enough. I was completely dis-heartened. I sold my rig, sold some basses and thought I’d retire to a bit of noodling in the bass cupboard.

It hasn’t really happened. The basses and practice combo have just sat there gathering dust.

And then I bought my wife a ukulele.  That’s it, I’m a bit smitten! I’ve succumbed to the Uke syndrome. All that life of bass, buying, selling and swapping at clandestine meeting in motorway services has stopped. A whole era seems to be winding down and coming to an end.

I still have 5 basses and my TC 250 Combo. I’ve 2 custom ACGs that I don’t intend parting with, a full Uber top spec bubinga and wenge Finn 5 and my special holly topped headless Salace. I also have Rita, a Musicman Sterling with a Nordstrand that used to be well known in these parts. I’ve owned her twice and she stays. That leaves my pearlescent white Nanyo Bass Collection 5 that I’ve just bought from Mick and fettled with a Glockenkland pre. Finally I’m a umming and ahhing about whether to keep my soft aged Fiesta Red Sandberg 5 string P bass. It’s beautiful. I was never one for relic finished instruments but this just works. It sounds wonderful and weighs 7.5 lbs. But however much I love it I’m not playing it so what’s the point? Hmmm…

So a long journey and life always changes. I've met some great people and made life long friends. I just thought I’d share. If anyone is local to me I have a load of bass books and odds and ends sat around. I don’t really want to advertise and post etc.

So, statistically not good. 22 years, more than 100 basses and 3 gigs! Well life isn't always as you'd want it to be and if you don't have the right ingredients around you you'll never bake a cake :) 

I'm, off to play my Uke

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing
  • Like 8

I had a similar frustration and, while I'm younger, I've also had a few years where I couldn't be bothered to play. Some days, I still can't.  For about 3 years I spent all my free time cycling, and now play bass a bit now and then. I swapped to upright which is great fun. 

1 minute ago, warwickhunt said:

...and there was me about to offer alimony to have Rita back in my life!  :/  

Hope you are well.  ;)  

I suspect that if I do succumb to temptation it'll be Rita doing most of the tempting John :D

1 hour ago, GreeneKing said:

About 22 years ago, at the age of 41, I was walking my beat in Plymouth along College Avenue, past Manson’s Music and I peered into the window. That re-triggered my desire to learn to play a musical instrument. I’d been keen at school, but my parents decided that as they weren’t musical neither was I and that the fiver deposit on the school trombone wasn’t going to happen despite the music teacher pushing for it. I’d been a marching band snare drummer and I’d had a bit of bandsman trombone practice time in my previous 20 odd years in the RN but that was it.

Why bass? To be honest it was because I thought it would be easier, oh and different. I bought a headless Hohner Jack from Manson’s and my bass journey commenced.

Bands, who’d have them eh? I got involved with some work colleagues and friends in Plymouth and we struck up a regular practice in Saltash Rugby Club. It was pretty dire, I was pretty dire too to be honest and we sort of collapsed after a while. I learnt a lot though and the taste for gigging was firmly instilled in my brain. I also started listening to bass and becoming sort of ‘bass centric’ in my interests and music tastes.

In 2004 I moved North to Kendal for a change of career. I had by now acquired a superior case of GAS that would see over 100 basses pass through my hands to date. I think that’s quite an achievement although I’m not sure if it’s one to be proud of. I actually had 27 at one point (yes I was single at the time). I saw an ad in Mad Monks in Kendal for a bassist and headed North to Penrith for an audition.

My first ‘proper’ band? Well sort of. Regular practice with 3 local guys who were all older than myself and generally a well-heeled bunch. The band’s music was supposedly a democratic choice but the singer/lead guitarist had a habit of going down the pub, referring to us as ‘his band’ and stating that he wasn’t going to play any of that crap that the bassist suggested. The Rolling Stones were the best band in the world and ‘Dead Flowers’ was their best number…..

So, the writing was always on the wall really. The other guys were great, and we actually gigged three times. We opened at a local ‘mini-festival’, did one gig in the local for our supper and one charity gig. I loved it and put up with a lot of aggro in the hope of becoming a regular gigging band, but it wasn’t to be. A shame really. It got bitter and twisted at the end, mainly between the said lead guitard and the rest of us.

I then had the experience of getting into a punk band that folded and then re-formed with a new bassist. The lengths some people will go to to avoid telling someone that they have another bassist who’s their mate etc. and fits the band image better.

Finally, a really long stretch with a group of guys in Kendal who were actually good, particularly the lead guitarist, but we never made a gig. At the best we sounded really good. All classic rock which became very tiring after a while. I think that some of the guys didn’t really want to or have the bottle to gig but wouldn’t admit it. This all went on with the odd change of personnel for years.

Recently I thought, enough is enough. I was completely dis-heartened. I sold my rig, sold some basses and thought I’d retire to a bit of noodling in the bass cupboard.

It hasn’t really happened. The basses and practice combo have just sat there gathering dust.

And then I bought my wife a ukulele.  That’s it, I’m a bit smitten! I’ve succumbed to the Uke syndrome. All that life of bass, buying, selling and swapping at clandestine meeting in motorway services has stopped. A whole era seems to be winding down and coming to an end.

I still have 5 basses and my TC 250 Combo. I’ve 2 custom ACGs that I don’t intend parting with, a full Uber top spec bubinga and wenge Finn 5 and my special holly topped headless Salace. I also have Rita, a Musicman Sterling with a Nordstrand that used to be well known in these parts. I’ve owned her twice and she stays. That leaves my pearlescent white Nanyo Bass Collection 5 that I’ve just bought from Mick and fettled with a Glockenkland pre. These are buggers to sell however good they are but I may just try. Finally I’m a umming and ahhing about selling my soft aged Fiesta Red Sandberg 5 string P bass. It’s beautiful. I was never one for relic finished instruments but this just works. It sounds wonderful and weighs 7.5 lbs. But however much I love it I’m not playing it so what’s the point? Hmmm…

So a long journey and life always changes. I've met some great people and made life long friends. I just thought I’d share. If anyone is local to me I have a load of bass books and odds and ends sat around. I don’t really want to advertise and post etc.

So, statistically not good. 22 years, more than 100 basses and 3 gigs! Well life isn't always as you'd want it to be and if you don't have the right ingredients around you you'll never bake a cake :) 

I'm, off to play my Uke

Peter

I enjoyed reading all that. I enjoy a bit of ukulele too though I always end up getting fed up with it because I can't sing and I want to sing along. I actaully began playing the Uke before I got my first bass though Bass quickly became the priority.

As it is i'm also in the Lake District but right up the other end in the North West. What odds and ends you got sat about?

On 01/03/2018 at 16:10, FarFromTheTrees said:

I enjoyed reading all that. I enjoy a bit of ukulele too though I always end up getting fed up with it because I can't sing and I want to sing along. I actaully began playing the Uke before I got my first bass though Bass quickly became the priority.

As it is i'm also in the Lake District but right up the other end in the North West. What odds and ends you got sat about?

I'll raise a few for sale posts next week.

Edited by GreeneKing

I've recently taken up playing a geeetar, just for a change. I know that when I pick up a bass again it will be with renewed vigour and interest. 

I read lots of posts by disgruntled/disillusioned players - unfortunately fewer from returning players - what I've learned is that you shouldn't close the door on your love of playing, even if you're not gigging as often as you'd like.

You're allowed to take a break....but at the back of your mind you should have Arnold telling you.."I'll be back.."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for sharing your bass story Peter. It doesn't have to end here. My interest has waxed and waned over the last 25 years of playing. Currently it's in the ascendant following a late discovery of the P bass (a RW to be precise), I took a last minute gig 2 weeks ago, I'm playing every day and studying on SBL. But I can go months, only occasionally playing with my rehearsal band, and not touching the bass in between times. Things go in cycles. I have one of your ex basses I believe. Geoff 

• Like 1

They make bass ukuleles you know ;)

Nice to hear from you Peter, I know exactly what you mean but perhaps an extended break will help. You'll always be a 'bass player' and that'll help you with your uke playing, too.

I haven't been in a band for years now, and often don't pick up a bass for weeks on end, but I still feel like a 'bassist' and enjoy keeping up to date with the gear and social aspect.

Stick around, and enjoy the uke. I've always been interested to play one but almost constant appearances on adverts, along with whistling, has put me off!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When I gave up Cycling properly I sent a huge package of my old gear to a charity that distributed it to cyclists in Africa. Tubes, tyres, wheels, jackets etc.

It was great to know that while my passion had gone, the stuff is built up was used by other people. Perhaps you could get a bit of inspiration doing the same with the old books and stuff?

(I’m not telling you what to do with your own possessions, just saying what helped me!)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

...and there was me about to offer alimony to have Rita back in my life!  :/  

Hope you are well.  ;)  

that's where I thought this thread might be heading too! 

Uke sounds fun - it's good to have a change, and we don't have to try and convince you to keep one of your basses, so that's good too! If it's not fun stop for a bit, the ACGs will still be there for you. Rita too unless @warwickhunt has his way. The Bass Collection and Sandberg will sell if you want too. (I think I spied your Bass Collection for sales at a pretty low price somewhere else on the internet?) and all the other bumpf too if you wanted. (got a gig bag for sale? I need one and passing next month) but at the end of the day it's just stuff isn't it? Probably life is simpler with less stuff but if you can afford too you could just leave it all in a cupboard for the next 20 years and you know what - that would be alright.

If you focus away from stuff and more towards making music, you're still doing that with the Uke, and it sound fun. :)

Letting your bass playing naturally wind down is fine. It has the opportunity to come back and flourish and flow freely.  So that’s ok. It’s when you are being forced to stop doing something you love by others is when there is a problem.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, bootleg said:

Thanks for sharing your bass story Peter. It doesn't have to end here. My interest has waxed and waned over the last 25 years of playing. Currently it's in the ascendant following a late discovery of the P bass (a RW to be precise), I took a last minute gig 2 weeks ago, I'm playing every day and studying on SBL. But I can go months, only occasionally playing with my rehearsal band, and not touching the bass in between times. Things go in cycles. I have one of your ex basses I believe. Geoff 

I think that most people have had an ex bass of mine :D . Yes I can readily identify with the cyclic thing.

Edited by GreeneKing
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

that's where I thought this thread might be heading too! 

Uke sounds fun - it's good to have a change, and we don't have to try and convince you to keep one of your basses, so that's good too! If it's not fun stop for a bit, the ACGs will still be there for you. Rita too unless @warwickhunt has his way. The Bass Collection and Sandberg will sell if you want too. (I think I spied your Bass Collection for sales at a pretty low price somewhere else on the internet?) and all the other bumpf too if you wanted. (got a gig bag for sale? I need one and passing next month) but at the end of the day it's just stuff isn't it? Probably life is simpler with less stuff but if you can afford too you could just leave it all in a cupboard for the next 20 years and you know what - that would be alright.

If you focus away from stuff and more towards making music, you're still doing that with the Uke, and it sound fun. :)

I've a couple of gig bags not being used. I'll sort out and get them up for sale.

Edited by GreeneKing

My bass life wound down ten tears ago... now it seems to be winding itself up again. I had a load of bass books I sold... why did I do that? I also sold a Tascam bass trainer... now I'm thinking of buying another one, but at least I think the latest version will be better than the CD based version I had.

I saw a short scale Squier Jaguar bass in a local shop a few weeks ago and couldn't resist for the price. I was going to sell my US Jazz, but the jag has revitalised my interest so I've decided It would be mad to sell.

The question is... would I gig again. Don't like occasional gigs as I think you never get good enough... but too many gigs and it could get tedious again. But I've had a long break and could quite fancy an old farts band.

Anyway, back to bedroom noodling for now... never say never.

• Like 1