Why become a member? ×

Original Graphite Steinburger Basses

bassjim

Hi all...

Just out of interest...

Anyone got one of the original graphite "cricket bat"  4 string style Steinbergers?

Do you still gig with it as a go to instrument or is now just a dated,  not good enough or suitable sound wise,  for regular work and relegated to a nostalgic  bit of fun these days?

I have one and sometimes use it in Police tribute. An amazing bass. Mine's 1983 XL2. It has a very fundamental sound. ie. the bass note, no real harmonics jump out the note. Very full, deep notes.

If you're anywhere near me (Deal, Kent) you're welcome to come and have a look/play

They were fantastic basses. I always wanted one but could never afford one back then. 

I find it hard to understand why somebody ( preferably Ned Steinberger) isn't making a version of these basses today. It is a classic design with a unique tone that other graphite basses can't really reproduce. I've got a Status Streamline as a kind of homage to the Steinberger. It is a lovely bass, but it sounds a bit warmer than the typical Steinberger. 

The Steinberger had a very substantial feel, despite it's svelte design, and some folks found the neck a bit too chunky. Suited me just fine, though. I remember the UK retail price in 1982 when they first arrived in the shops, ( Soundwave in Romford was the UK outlet, if I remember correctly) was £999. That was a lot of money for a bass in those days. Much more than I had anyway!

Edited by Misdee

4 hours ago, police squad said:

I have one and sometimes use it in Police tribute. An amazing bass. Mine's 1983 XL2. It has a very fundamental sound. ie. the bass note, no real harmonics jump out the note. Very full, deep notes.

If you're anywhere near me (Deal, Kent) you're welcome to come and have a look/play

Thanks for the offer. If you were closer to home I'd be very up for trying it out.  Must make a great second/back up bass on a gig. Small and light, easy to carry. 

1 hour ago, Misdee said:

They were fantastic basses. I always wanted one but could never afford one back then. 

I find it hard to understand why somebody ( preferably Ned Steinberger) isn't making a version of these basses today. It is a classic design with a unique tone that other graphite basses can't really reproduce. I've got a Status Streamline as a kind of homage to the Steinberger. It is a lovely bass, but it sounds a bit warmer than the typical Steinberger. 

The Steinberger had a very substantial feel, despite it's svelte design, and some folks found the neck a bit too chunky. Suited me just fine, though. I remember the UK retail price in 1982 when they first arrived in the shops, ( Soundwave in Romford was the UK outlet, if I remember correctly) was £999. That was a lot of money for a bass in those days. Much more than I had anyway!

Looking at Wiki Ned sold the rights to it when he sold the design under licence to Honer who make the Spirit copy. Something like that anyway.  Either cost or lack of demand I suppose stops a new production of these. Maybe he thinks his latest design is way better? Who knows but it seems anyone thats got one or the originals is already more than happy with it.

Regarding the Streamliner , do you prefer it to the Steinberger? Has Status done anything that improves the concept from the perspective of someone who has used the Steinberger?

Had an early model with the original HazLabs electronics, wasn't that light...

Liked the sound, but wanted something more focused, so I put a set of original Q-Tuner pickups on it and it sounded even better.

Than a year or two later, I sold it for peanuts to a friend of mine who still owns it.

By the way, Ned Steinberger was close to bankrupt at the beginning... Because he simply couldn't build enough instruments according to the orders until he found a new facility.

In fact, as a furniture designer, he thought he could sell his design. O.o

Edited by Hellzero
Ned Steinberger instead of "he" for more clarity.

2 hours ago, Misdee said:

I remember the UK retail price in 1982 when they first arrived in the shops, ( Soundwave in Romford was the UK outlet, if I remember correctly) was £999. That was a lot of money for a bass in those days. Much more than I had anyway!

Just for some context a brand new Wal at that point retailed for £500.

The Steinbergers were (are) brilliant instruments - I loved the tone and portability...not to mention the obvious fashionable ergonomics. It was the 80's after all!

Well yes, I’ve actually got four of them and my original L2, which I’ve owned from new for over 33 years is still my “go to” bass for any situation where I need a bass that will easily fit into any musical setting.

The Steinberger got the reputation as an 80s fashion icon just because it looked so distinctive but for me it was always about function over form and for utter functionality, the Steinberger has never been beaten.

The reason no one makes them is that Ned Steinberger sold the rights to the design to Gibson, who unfortunately shut up shop on Steinberger in around 1998. Also, although the design addressed many of the drawbacks of traditional instruments, it was never optimised for mass production, so the manufacture cost of each instrument was high and production could not be scaled up to reduce costs. These were always going to be expensive instruments. I don’t think Ned and his partners realised that the appearance of a guitar was of such importance to the guitarists and bassists who would be buying them- “One day all guitars will be made like this” was one of their ad slogans- but it turned out that the market was so enfatuated with vintage designs, no amount of improved functionality would ultimately outweigh the lack of a headstock or traditional body for the mass market.

So we are where we are. There will never be any new Steinbergers built again but they are durable and long lasting so if you want one, there are usually a few available for sale at any given time as long as you aren’t looking for a rare configuration.

One thing is certain- nothing that came before or since sounds or feels like a Steinberger- they are truly unique.

• Like 1

I think Steinberger would probably do well today with their models with full bodies. Headless designs are getting increasingly popular again, especially in the (technical) metal scene. Carvin / Kiesel headless designs are quite popular (the Vader model), Mayones makes a headless guitar, Strandberg is doing very well, and people are willing to pay good money for them. 

I concur with those who say that the Steinberger XL was not lightweight. It's a long time since I played one, but I distinctly remember being surprised how substantial they felt, probably a similar weight to a typical P Bass. The Streamline, in comparison, is very light, maybe about 7 1/2 lbs.

In terms of whether the Status improves on the XL design, I have to say it is probably better in some respects, but not as good in others. The Steinberger, to my ears at least, had a very distinctive tone. I would describe it as being quite dry,and even a bit hard in the midrange. That was part of its appeal. The Streamline sounds like graphite but is a bit warmer.

Also, the Status obviates the need for the "balance flipper" and leg rest, although whether the Streamline is ultimately as comfortable to use as the Steinberger is a matter of opinion. To be honest with you, it really is so long since I played a Steinberger I can't give an accurate evaluation. What I can remember with total clarity. is what fantastic instruments those original Steinbergers were, how great they sounded and how much I wanted one! 

I think a big part of why these basses are not currently in production is because they were so difficult to manufacture. Even if Ned could buy the patent back perhaps he doesn't want the hassle.

I’ve had a couple in my time and have only moved them on for financial reasons.   Great basses, very substantial despite compact dimensions, deep J width necks also J type VVT controls (latter XL2A has Hazlab centre-detented active controls)

Great unique tone with amazing fundamental note and sustain that goes on forever - think I managed almost 30 seconds once on a fretted C.  If finances allowed, I’d have another in a heartbeat.