Why become a member? ×

Fender Japan Mustang Bass pickguards

kristo

@knicknack - Cheers! apologies for having you hold my hand through this.. but theres plenty of options and thickness etc.

Which one did you purchase? i love the B/W/B but there seems to be a few different ones - i want EXACTLY what you got!

Was it this one? - https://www.wdmusic.co.uk/pickguards-c62/fender-basses-c111/mustang-bass-japanese-reissue-c294/wd-music-mustang-bass-re-issue-b-w-b-p8763

Edited by Dobsyuk

4 hours ago, Dobsyuk said:

@skej21 - looks so good! I am thinking this is the right choice! will look so nice with the aged white knobs too!

What year is yours do you know? mines 2006-2008 - do you have a link to where you bought yours from? any help would be appreciated :)

Mine is 2016 and got the pickguard from WD Music!

7 hours ago, skej21 said:

I did exactly the same with mine. White with black scratchplate is the winning combo for me!

I love the Tort, but mine came with a battered plate and I decided to play it super safe and inoffensive with black.. a classic look!

• 1 year later...

Hi Kristo, I am trying to do the same thing with my Mustang bass (a japanese reissue, circa 2000, similar to yours) and I would say it is a bit tricky. Because the pickguard is attached to the pickups and the screws that connect pickguard and pickups go through springs. I am not sure how I can align pickups, pickguards, springs and screws while the pickups are soldered in. If you have any tips it would be helpful! thanks!!

larry

19 hours ago, larryb said:

Hi Kristo, I am trying to do the same thing with my Mustang bass (a japanese reissue, circa 2000, similar to yours) and I would say it is a bit tricky. Because the pickguard is attached to the pickups and the screws that connect pickguard and pickups go through springs. I am not sure how I can align pickups, pickguards, springs and screws while the pickups are soldered in. If you have any tips it would be helpful! thanks!!

larry

You don't have to unsolder the pickups. If you take the scratchplate off, unscrew the pickups from it, and then attach them back to the new scratchplate, that will do it. I have a 2015 Jap reissue and did just that. I took a pic of the pickups in situ before taking them out just so I knew how to reattach them. No soldering needed, just a screwdriver and a bit of patience.

I also found the neck pocket on my Axerus replacement scratchplate wasn't quite right but took maybe less than a milimetre off with some fine sandpaper and job done.

1 hour ago, bassbiscuits said:

You don't have to unsolder the pickups. If you take the scratchplate off, unscrew the pickups from it, and then attach them back to the new scratchplate, that will do it. I have a 2015 Jap reissue and did just that. I took a pic of the pickups in situ before taking them out just so I knew how to reattach them. No soldering needed, just a screwdriver and a bit of patience.

I also found the neck pocket on my Axerus replacement scratchplate wasn't quite right but took maybe less than a milimetre off with some fine sandpaper and job done.

Hello Larry. I did pretty much as described here. Just be careful and take your time. I'm severely unpractical, so if I could do it I'd be confident anyone could.