Why become a member? ×

Fender Japan Mustang Bass pickguards

kristo

I have two Fender Japan Mustang basses and I'm thinking of swapping the pickguards as I think I'd prefer sunburst/tort and cream/white. The sunburst is a '96 and the cream is a '17. Does anyone know if the pickguards are the same? I'm not comfortable enough to try this myself so would have to get a tech to do it, but don't want to bother if anyone here knows for sure it won't fit. Cheers.

bCkwyxN.jpg

5 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

Given that it’s 9 screws which appear to be in the same positions, it must be worth your while just getting a screwdriver out and trying them for size, it doesn’t really look like a job to take to a techie. Be bold, go for it!

I'd have to desolder the pickup though right?

Looks to me like you could unscrew the two height adjustment/mounting screws, swap the pick guards, screw the pups back in.  Should become clear once you have unscrewed and taken the pick guards off.  I'd take pics of how high they are fitted first to prevent a lot of trial and error.  

Well I did it last night and it wasn't too tricky at all. The white one is slightly too big down by the control panel but hopefully that can be sanded down if I decide to stick with the switch. I think they look great. Thanks for the tips.

xkcvAVD.jpg

• Like 2

they both look much better with the pickguards swapped - particularly the burst/tort. if the white one is only a smidge too big, you might be able to get it to fit by loosening the screws holding the control plate, pushing the plate down and tightening the screws back up, this might cause the screws to go in at a slightly jaunty angle, but if the discrepancy is tiny that won’t be noticeable. Or it may be possible to relocate the screw holes for the contro plate slightly south by packing the existing holes with toothpicks & glue & redrilling.

11 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

they both look much better with the pickguards swapped - particularly the burst/tort. if the white one is only a smidge too big, you might be able to get it to fit by loosening the screws holding the control plate, pushing the plate down and tightening the screws back up, this might cause the screws to go in at a slightly jaunty angle, but if the discrepancy is tiny that won’t be noticeable. Or it may be possible to relocate the screw holes for the contro plate slightly south by packing the existing holes with toothpicks & glue & redrilling.

Thanks. I'll give that a try when I get home.

7 minutes ago, Paul S said:

That looks so much better!  The cream and white is particularly sexy :)

I think so too. Reminds me of the medium scale P bass I sold you. I still miss that.

22 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

if the white one is only a smidge too big, you might be able to get it to fit by loosening the screws holding the control plate, pushing the plate down and tightening the screws back up, this might cause the screws to go in at a slightly jaunty angle, but if the discrepancy is tiny that won’t be noticeable. 

Thanks Jean, did this last night and now it's perfect. Many thanks for the tips. 

• 1 year later...

WOW! they look so much better with the scratch plates switched!!!

Sorry to hi-jack this post but I thought it would be suitable to get involved here instead of starting a new one.

Thinking of doing a similar thing. Mine is CIJ 2006-2008. She's a bit beat (like that when I got her, but i like that worn look)

However, I want to get a black scratchplate but can only find these - https://www.axesrus.co.uk/ARUMUSTBASS-p/arumust.htm 

Which if you read the spec it for American & Mexican bass's really so I am a bit miffed on how to get one that will fit correctly? Does anyone know where you can pick up one that will fit?

Also a slightly different note, I didn't realise it until looking online at other mustang's but it looks as if the tone/volume knobs have been changed from the original ones also.. maybe strat ones?

I would like to change these to these - https://www.andertons.co.uk/fender-replacement-stratocaster-knobs-(set-of-3)-aged-white-0991369000?LGWCODE=0991369000;56375;6335&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrpeRg_HW4QIVqLDtCh2SBQ17EAQYASABEgL6dPD_BwE

Does anyone know if they will fit - I am probably answering my own question here considering it looks like they are already on it.

Thanks for any help with this guys and as I said sorry to the Original Poster for hi-jacking! :)

mustang.jpg

Edited by Dobsyuk

5 minutes ago, knicknack said:

@Dobsyuk I just fitted my CIJ (don't know the year) with a black guard from WD and it's fits perfectly. Hope this helps in some way! 

IMG_9354.JPG

I did exactly the same with mine. White with black scratchplate is the winning combo for me!

• Like 1

You want bling, you should have a think about the acrylic mirror pickguard I have for sale :)

I bought the Axesrus BWB one to replace this.  It says made in japan on the back.  Was an OK fit - I had to shave a weeny bit from the pocket and two screw holes didn't quite align.

Edited by Paul S

9 minutes ago, Paul S said:

You want bling, you should have a think about the acrylic mirror pickguard I have for sale :)

I bought the Axesrus BWB one to replace this.  It says made in japan on the back.  Was an OK fit - I had to shave a weeny bit from the pocket and two screw holes didn't quite align.

Very nice and would be just the job, sadly wont fit the MW due to the humbucker.

Mustangs.jpg