Why become a member? ×

so...I want to trigger moods/sounds with a footswitch...

skidder652003

Anyone can help me here?

so our set consists of several songs which on the origional recordings had "effects", ie "stone cold crazy" has a police siren, war pigs has an air raid siren, xanadu has a moog drone and birds in the background etc..Does anyone know an easy and cheap(!) way of triggering those effects with a footswitch into our desk? I can get access to the sounds as we used to use a drum pad to trigger them but the drummer can't be bothered to set it up. I was thinking of something like a midi unit with a footswitch? Any ideas?? 

The 12 step is a great thing:

https://www.keithmcmillen.com/products/12-step/

But it depends on what you are triggering. I assume you have something to trigger already as you said about the pads. The 12 step has a USB output for a laptop or an iPad, which can be midi or trigger scripts, but if you want midi you can get the midi adapter for it, then each note can have midi (and aftertouch etc).

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Unless it is just one sample per song, the JamMan won't do what he has asked for here.

Well according to this thread which was the one I was thinking of, so long as the OP doesn't need to trigger more than one sound simultaneously, then the JamMan should be exactly what he needs.

However I should point out that while this is fine for one-shot or freeform background sounds, anything that needs to have more than its start point synchronised with the live band will require a proper backing with a click track for the drummer.

4 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Well according to this thread which was the one I was thinking of, so long as the OP doesn't need to trigger more than one sound simultaneously, then the JamMan should be exactly what he needs.

However I should point out that while this is fine for one-shot or freeform background sounds, anything that needs to have more than its start point synchronised with the live band will require a proper backing with a click track for the drummer.

yeah its just one sound effect per song, TBH theres only about 3 songs in the set that need it, we manage fine without but it was fun when we had them from the drumpad

I have 2 boss FS-5U foot switches plugged into the stop/memory shift jack via a stereo (TRS) to mono “Y” cable (the FS 6 or 7 might work too)

pedal to start loop / intro

1st FS-5U stop loop / intro

2nd FS-5U cycle up or down loops / intro

There are loads of smaller switches that work too.