Why become a member? ×

Bilbo blows in technicolour

Bilbo

At last, a few decent video of something I am involved with. The Michael Spearman Trio live at The Fleece at Stoke By Nayland. A trio gig early in January featuring guitarist Michael's composition. This one is called 'Trippin'' (as in falling over, not drug references). It's essentially a rhythm changes blow. The drummer is Essex based Tom Jiggins. The video was done with several cameras and the edited properly so this is as good a set of videos as I have ever been part of. The camera actually points at me instead of my having to wait for passing glimpses!! Apologies for the shirt (you should have seen the Docs).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bilbo said:

At last, a few decent video of something I am involved with...

Well done, lad; that's some fine playing there. Very good, clear recording; maybe a tad 'guitar-heavy..? I'm never completely convinced by the 'trio' format in this style, as I feel that the theme tends to get lost without at least a skeleton of chords going on, from keys, horns, strings, whatever (or even one of the trio..!). When all are 'blowing', it sounds at times like you're all playing different stuff. That's just me, though.
Keep the drummer; he's gold. Sly humour, complicit smiles on occasions; he's listening to you two more than you two are listening to him. Just sayin'.
Either way, an excellent performance, well captured, of which all involved may be justly proud. Highly enjoyable and informative (yes, one can play music at reasonable volume..!); many thanks for sharing. Good Stuff. B|

• Like 1

Thanks for that, Dad. I do know what you mean about the listening. I tend to be listening to the soloist so can miss the nuances of Tom's performance. I will work on that. As for us all playing different stuff, it's supposed to be a counterpoint. We do try.

26 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

... it's supposed to be a counterpoint. We do try.

Keep trying. :|

xD :P

No, seriously, it sometimes works, but would be all the more effective for its rarity. Fill out the structure, and go for the hot stuff only punctually, rather than from the outset.
Just my (ignorant...) tuppence-worth. :)

3 hours ago, Bilbo said:

I want that on our publicity material!! :-D 

Another testimonial:

"If by cruel and awful happenstance I were to be exposed to this sort of music I would at least think twice before un-holstering my revolver"

- Mr D, Wiltshire

(As you know, I hate jazz but I quite enjoyed your stuff there. Perhaps it's because I know you, Rob ;)).

Edited by skankdelvar