Why become a member? ×

Custom bass vi

basselfman

So wasn't sure where to put this, I want a bass 6 with a 52mm nut width to match the feel of a classical gitaur. The only thing that comes close is the music man silhouette bass,  I've not played one yet but it's at about 47mm so not "perfect" 

ive never thought about getting a custom instrument. Does it cost too much to be practical? And lastly is there an easier solution?

I have a revelation bass vi but the string spacing is very small. 

I couldn't agree more regarding the neck width of Bass VI instruments. I have a Squier Bass VI and the neck is narrow even by guitar standards (it's certainly narrower than all the guitars I own) and that's the main reason why it doesn't get very much use.

I had a look at the Music Man Silhouette Bass (it's not a very exciting looking instrument IMO) and according to the specs the neck is 44.5mm at the nut - where did you get the 47mm figure from? Also it seems to be marketed as a Baritone Guitar rather than a Bass VI, even though at just under 30" the scale length is about right for E - E stringing. However with 2 humbuckers rather than 3 single coils it appears to be voiced more in the Baritone range and it probably won't sound much like a Fender/Squier Bass VI, or your Revelation Bass VI.

And so is it worth getting a custom Bass VI made to your specifications? Well given that a new Music Man is going to set you back around £1,700, probably yes. Where about in the world are you? Here in the UK there are several custom builders who would be able to make something suitable for you. It is important to find a luthier that you get on with and who you can trust to make those decisions that you know little about, in order to get the right instrument for you. My normal advice when picking a luthier for a custom instrument is to find someone who is already making something very similar to what you want. However in this case I think you may have to be even more trusting of your chosen luthier than usual.

There are a couple of things that you should be aware of. Firstly any commercial custom luthier who is any good will be busy and you are probably looking at a build time in excess of 12 months. Secondly with a 52 width at the nut you are most likely going to need custom pickups to accommodate the extra wide string spacing and a custom bridge as well. That will all add to the cost and build time.

There is one other route you could consider. Here on Basschat we have several talented people building their own instruments and sometimes instruments for other people. I would check out the work of Andyjr1515 in the Build Diaries section.

Finally I don't think that this section is the best place for your question. I'd have asked it in either General Discussion or Bass Guitars. If you want to get the thread moved, click on "Report" on your OP and ask a moderator to move it for you.

HTH

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks big red, I think the 47 may have come from my rusty bullethole?! I might have misread something as I don't have my laptop right now I'm doing everything on my phone.

im also uk but in Germany right now, I found the ibernez SRC6-WNF but I think it's similar to the music man although reviews do say it has a wider profile then the normal vi's. I'm not finding it impossible to play on the rev it just seems to be there must be something that is better suited. I wonder if I should just get a 6 sting bass and call it a day but I'll look into the custom route as per your instruction.

dont worry about this thread I'm happy for it to die, your response was very informative and helpful so I'm not sure what someone else will add.

thanks!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...