Why become a member? ×

Schecter Model T Session

mcnach

Quick update - still madly in love with my Model T bass. After gigs people quite often ask me for information on it: what model bass it is, what are the pickups etc. Seems to get a lot of audience love, but of course that’s also related to the rest of the rig.

On 12/12/2018 at 14:46, jimmy23cricket said:

Seems Fender may have been keeping an eye on Schecter with the new parrallel universe model!

image.jpeg.97695e5f14b0599dc0e44f468639f33c.jpeg

Nice looking bass that. I’m determined not to succumb to any more GAS over the next year at least. I have all the gear I need for the exact sounds I’ve been looking for.

• 1 month later...

My GAS for this thing still burns. Just come across this rather good demo - it’s in Russian but has English captions. Shows a nice breadth of playing styles and in context with other instruments too. 

P.s. the Schecter looks way better than the Fender!

Edited by CameronJ
  • Like 3

There's something about the wide neck on the 5-string, it makes it look even better than the 4 string...

My 4-string is being modified. It's lovely to play but that EMG 2-band EQ is really not for me and I finally had enough.

After a little research, I bought some different EMG components and I received them yesterday.

It's going to be:

1) stacked volume and tone control (passive tone).

2) blend

3) VMC module: semiparametric mids module

Now... wait until I have the time...

• Like 1

Sounds like a really good mod!

Pups, EQ, pups = location, location, location for me with basses. 

They make most important "fixed" contribution to my sound on a bass. 

The 2 band EQ is also a no go for me with the model T, so I'm glad you've borne out my suspicions; Schecter do a decent 3 band EQ as well, so not sure why they've scrimped on this range, given its not "budget". 

On 12/12/2018 at 15:25, EliasMooseblaster said:

Bugger me, that's an uncanny resemblance. Has it finally come full circle: that Fender have started copying other people's copies of their original instruments?

They did that 51 p/j in the 90’s as a custom shop model. Wonder if I can find an old “frontline” catalog.

5 hours ago, CameronJ said:

My GAS for this thing still burns. Just come across this rather good demo - it’s in Russian but has English captions. Shows a nice breadth of playing styles and in context with other instruments too. 

P.s. the Schecter looks way better than the Fender!

I genuinely think that it's one of the best looking basses out there.

The aesthetics just work. 

It really shouldn't look so much better than the near identically configured and coloured Fender, but it does.

I don't need another active PJ, but if I did...

• Like 1

Just now, CameronJ said:

@Al Krow, I’m guessing the preamp was part of the reason you sold your old Sandberg TM?

Exactly correct Cam. Combination of that plus finding the Delanos a little too civilised after I'd 'tasted' Nordstrand big singles and Warwick MECs. 

It was otherwise a really excellent bass. 

12 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Exactly correct Cam. Combination of that plus finding the Delanos a little too civilised after I'd 'tasted' Nordstrand big singles and Warwick MECs. 

It was otherwise a really excellent bass. 

Fair play. I quite enjoy the 2 band on my VM but to be fair I switch between active and passive often for different flavours. If I were “locked in” to active only with the 2 band I might not be so content. I suspect if I do get the Schecter I’ll get a passive tone control installed. We shall see.

19 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Sounds like a really good mod!

Pups, EQ, pups = location, location, location for me with basses. 

They make most important "fixed" contribution to my sound on a bass. 

The 2 band EQ is also a no go for me with the model T, so I'm glad you've borne out my suspicions; Schecter do a decent 3 band EQ as well, so not sure why they've scrimped on this range, given its not "budget". 

The stock preamp is EMG on the Model T. Not a bad preamp, and you can tweak it a bit (a couple of internal dip switches changes its mode of operation a bit)... but with most preamps I find it's mids I want to control easily: bass I set with my amp, treble... I haven't really found an active treble control I like as much as a passive treble-cut. Semiparametric mids is where it's at for me.

Back to the stock 2EQ EMG, I don't think it's bad, just that it doesn't suit me. I worked hard at learning how the bass/treble controls interact, much like I did with the Stingray... but the Stingray is dialled in just right for my liking, while the EMG is just not quite right in combination with those pickups.

I was going to replace the whole thing, put a set of DiMarzio Model P/J and passive controls... but I thought I'd try this passive tone + semiparametric mids trick first.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcnach said:

Semiparametric mids is where it's at for me.

How about this: 

Image result for tech 21 q strip

or perhaps...

Empress ParaEq Equalizer Pedal

Should do the same job as, or likely a lot better than, an onboard preamp in terms of delivering semi-para mids.

A pedal will require less 'invasive' surgery to your bass for which you're likely to see no return on your coin if you move your Schecter on with an uprated EQ, whereas at least you'll be able to sell the pedal on for a fair price (and at little loss if you can secure one used) and, in the meantime you can also use with all your other basses current and future!

Hmmm... thinking there's a lesson in that for me too! 😁

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CameronJ said:

@Al Krow you can use your Stomp for this very purpose!

With EQ the ability to tweak on the fly is really nice to have and having dials, firstly on the bass itself, then an amp or a EQ pedal (in that order) would be my preference...

I'm really only suggesting an EQ pedal as semi-parametric mids are not that common on 'standard' bass pre-amps and if they're a must have for the OP then a pedal could be used across his entire herd.

The lack of easy tweaking of the Stomp 'on the fly' for EQ purposes is likely to mean it doesn't get used for EQ adjustment by me, but I'm sure plenty of other folk will.

Edited by Al Krow

Question is for those 3 band EQ fans/must haves on a bass.

How often when playing live are you actually tweaking on the fly song by song by song?

Also how many times during this tweaking was a 3 band absolutely essential that a 2 band could not have gotten you out of a hole?

If a mid adjust is needed how often is it not possible on your amp, or at a desk if you are straight in?

17 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

How often when playing live are you actually tweaking on the fly song by song by song?

Also how many times during this tweaking was a 3 band absolutely essential that a 2 band could not have gotten you out of a hole?

If a mid adjust is needed how often is it not possible on your amp, or at a desk if you are straight in?

I've gone back to using a passive bass, I was always fiddling with the eq settings on my 3 band. Now I just have thud to bite... normally called a tone control. Keep it simple, Schecter Ultra Spitfire Bass with EMG hz pickups. 

26 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

It's all about the mids (and cutting the bass) and dialling down the treble if the song needs something more vintage.

The mids is what is missing from most 2 band bass EQs. 

The point is if I want and can have a 3 band EQ on my bass and I find it useful, why should I even need to think about settling for less? 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1