Why become a member? ×

Schecter Model T Session

mcnach

8 hours ago, Iacopo San said:

Seriously fell in love with this :shok:

I am even thinking of possibly giving away my beloved Precision Classic 50 which I thought I never did!

No! Don't do that! Have both!

I love my Classic 50s... that is the classic Precision sound and I love it. The Model T of course can do a similar sound if you wanted to, but not quite the same. It's a different and very cool take on it.

3 hours ago, mcnach said:

No! Don't do that! Have both!

I love my Classic 50s... that is the classic Precision sound and I love it. The Model T of course can do a similar sound if you wanted to, but not quite the same. It's a different and very cool take on it.

Problem is I don't have enough space to keep another bass in the flat, and I couldn't justify spending 700 on another bass with the missus... I guess I'll keep an eye for a  second hand one :ph34r:

On 15/03/2018 at 11:24, Al Krow said:

@mcnach - glad it's all working out! You're right - adjusting pup height has a pretty big impact and is also such an easy / no cost adjustment to make. 

If anyone prefers the possibility of a 5er...

MODEL-T%205%20ANS%20TILT.png

Oh a 5er...

14 hours ago, Iacopo San said:

Problem is I don't have enough space to keep another bass in the flat, and I couldn't justify spending 700 on another bass with the missus... I guess I'll keep an eye for a  second hand one :ph34r:

I'll keep temporarily your Classic 50 for you. You can come and visit her any time you like ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcnach said:

my view too... too much gold... gold and white... it's a good bass for a pimp 'though ;)

Nah if you want something in that category, then check this new release out :D

Image result for ibanez sr2600

So you also tempted to get a 5er then, or are you a purely 4 string man?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Nah if you want something in that category, then check this new release out :D

Image result for ibanez sr2600

So you also tempted to get a 5er then, or are you a purely 4 string man?

Oh, THAT is a beauty, and not in a pimp manner at all.

No, I am not tempted by the 5er, but it looks nice. The fatter neck suits it, or something. I've owned various 5 string basses, some very nice (the Lakland 5502 was my favourite) but I just don't use them enough. I can't imagine not playing my 4-string Stingray most of the time. But if I were going to get a 5er, I'd get a Sire V7. The one I tried last week was superb. 

another update...

I finally ditched the original strings. Man, why didn't I do that earlier???

DR SUNBEAMS on... what a difference! :heart:

They're a little more compliant, which is nice. I have it set with pretty low action, but I can still dig in when I want to... and these strings have transformed the bass. It's incidentally the first time I try Sunbeams (I have been using their stainless steel counterpart, Fat Beams, for ages, which also have a round core)... and I love them. They are not overly bright even straight from the packet, so they suit me very well. Punchy, nice mids... and the Model T sounds fantastic with them. 

Lovely bass, and with careful pickup adjustment a very good sounding one too... then put nice strings on and it becomes a great bass indeed.

Strings, so often overlooked...

• Like 2

Very glad to hear that you've clicked with the bass...and then clicked even more after the string change!

Funnily enough, I was in a recording studio with my Model T this Saturday just gone. The day before I'd been worried it was sounding a little dull, and then I remembered I hadn't changed the strings since 2015. A fresh set of Rotos later and it was singing nicely again. Often overlooked, as you rightly say!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

Very glad to hear that you've clicked with the bass...and then clicked even more after the string change!

Funnily enough, I was in a recording studio with my Model T this Saturday just gone. The day before I'd been worried it was sounding a little dull, and then I remembered I hadn't changed the strings since 2015. A fresh set of Rotos later and it was singing nicely again. Often overlooked, as you rightly say!

Indeed. I wonder how many times we don't gel with a bass soundwise and that could have changed with different strings.

I have a Mike Dirnt Precision that was destined to have a little active mids module installed (cut/boost and frequency centre control) as I felt it lacking a bit in the low mids... but after trying Labella White Nylon copper tapewounds the need disappeared. Get the best sound possible at source, and that makes life a lot easier later.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Apologies for replying to this thread so late, I’ve only just joined Basschat. Thought I’d give my experience of this bass. Like a few others I fell in love with the looks. I play in a grunge/heavy alt rock originals band. Up until buying this I’d been using a Fender Precision De Luxe MIM PJ always set on passive mode. I run it through Darkglass pedals (B7K Ultra and Duality fuzz, depending on the song) into a Fender Rumble 500. I also do the Royal Blood thing with a POG etc into a separate guitar amp through a guitar fuzz pedal. It’s all very heavy sounding and unsubtle, I’ll be honest. I play pretty much exclusively with a hard pick and not finger style. I only use Rotosound roundwound bright heavy strings (which I start really liking once they’re a week old). The Fender wasn’t quite doing it for me - it seems to have quite a variance in output depending on the particular notes played (even though I also put it through an MXR bass compressor at the beginning of the chain). This becomes obvious especially in how the POG responds for creating the upper octave signal. There were also some weird hums and crackles now and then, which I suspected were issues caused by magnetic fields relating to my pedal board and the Fender. 

Well, the Schecter Model T Session bass has been an absolute revelation. The evenness in output across the fretboard is superb. I absolutely love the sound which comes out of the bass amp AND the higher octave through the guitar amp. I was a little wary of active only because I can’t stand the active option on my Fender, but the Schecter is perfect. The more expensive Fender is totally relegated to being the back up bass. The Schecter is much easier to play - the neck is slightly wider at the nut than the jazz neck on the P De Luxe, but it’s so much easier for me. I don’t even know why, perhaps it’s the surface texture of the Schecter. The Schecter is also a little lighter and feels better balanced, encouraging me to move more freely while playing.

I know my review is of little use to the more technical funk/slap type players on here, but I hope it’s of interest to someone. By the way, I’ve always completely hated Ernie Ball bass strings, so as soon as my bass arrived I replaced them with my usual heavy Rotosounds without even plugging the bass into an amp first. The Ernie Balls went straight in the bin. My view is that there’s no bass on earth which would sound good to my ears with EBs on, so why waste even a moment trying?

Anyway, in summary I absolutely love my Schecter. I’ve not had even a hint of hum or crackle on my rig with this bass. If anyone suggests EMGs sound sterile (which I’ve read elsewhere) they just haven’t found the correct EQ setting IMO. I know actives aren’t for everyone, but I think I’m playing my perfect bass now. Band members and friends seem to agree with me.

Edited by Lord Summerisle

21 hours ago, Lord Summerisle said:

Apologies for replying to this thread so late, I’ve only just joined Basschat. Thought I’d give my experience of this bass. Like a few others I fell in love with the looks. I play in a grunge/heavy alt rock originals band. Up until buying this I’d been using a Fender Precision De Luxe MIM PJ always set on passive mode. I run it through Darkglass pedals (B7K Ultra and Duality fuzz, depending on the song) into a Fender Rumble 500. I also do the Royal Blood thing with a POG etc into a separate guitar amp through a guitar fuzz pedal. It’s all very heavy sounding and unsubtle, I’ll be honest. I play pretty much exclusively with a hard pick and not finger style. I only use Rotosound roundwound bright heavy strings (which I start really liking once they’re a week old). The Fender wasn’t quite doing it for me - it seems to have quite a variance in output depending on the particular notes played (even though I also put it through an MXR bass compressor at the beginning of the chain). This becomes obvious especially in how the POG responds for creating the upper octave signal. There were also some weird hums and crackles now and then, which I suspected were issues caused by magnetic fields relating to my pedal board and the Fender. 

Well, the Schecter Model T Session bass has been an absolute revelation. The evenness in output across the fretboard is superb. I absolutely love the sound which comes out of the bass amp AND the higher octave through the guitar amp. I was a little wary of active only because I can’t stand the active option on my Fender, but the Schecter is perfect. The more expensive Fender is totally relegated to being the back up bass. The Schecter is much easier to play - the neck is slightly wider at the nut than the jazz neck on the P De Luxe, but it’s so much easier for me. I don’t even know why, perhaps it’s the surface texture of the Schecter. The Schecter is also a little lighter and feels better balanced, encouraging me to move more freely while playing.

I know my review is of little use to the more technical funk/slap type players on here, but I hope it’s of interest to someone. By the way, I’ve always completely hated Ernie Ball bass strings, so as soon as my bass arrived I replaced them with my usual heavy Rotosounds without even plugging the bass into an amp first. The Ernie Balls went straight in the bin. My view is that there’s no bass on earth which would sound good to my ears with EBs on, so why waste even a moment trying?

Anyway, in summary I absolutely love my Schecter. I’ve not had even a hint of hum or crackle on my rig with this bass. If anyone suggests EMGs sound sterile (which I’ve read elsewhere) they just haven’t found the correct EQ setting IMO. I know actives aren’t for everyone, but I think I’m playing my perfect bass now. Band members and friends seem to agree with me.

Thanks for your review :)

I'm still very much enjoying mine. It took me a little while to really 'get' the EQ in mine, so that I could get the right adjustments (I'm more used to a 3-band with semiparametric mids preamp or passive tone controls...) but once you get it and it becomes intuitive, there's nothing this bass couldn't do and do it well. Putting DR Sunbeams on mine was like day/night compared to the EB that were on from factory. Ugh.

Still in love with this bass.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, mcnach said:

Thanks for your review :)

I'm still very much enjoying mine. It took me a little while to really 'get' the EQ in mine, so that I could get the right adjustments (I'm more used to a 3-band with semiparametric mids preamp or passive tone controls...) but once you get it and it becomes intuitive, there's nothing this bass couldn't do and do it well. Putting DR Sunbeams on mine was like day/night compared to the EB that were on from factory. Ugh.

Still in love with this bass.

And the build quality and finish on mine are superb, I assume yours is the same? I can’t stop looking at and playing mine, which can only be a good thing!!

On 28/06/2018 at 16:37, Lord Summerisle said:

I'm glad you're enjoying the bass, but remember - killing me is not going to bring back your apples.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I'm glad you're enjoying the bass, but remember - killing me is not going to bring back your apples.  

We would disagree, assuming you’re the right kind of visitor to our sweet island. 😊

On 30/06/2018 at 09:52, Lord Summerisle said:

And the build quality and finish on mine are superb, I assume yours is the same? I can’t stop looking at and playing mine, which can only be a good thing!!

Yup, can't fault it. I was a little concerned before I bought it because having not had the chance to go play one in a shop, I relied on reviews and some were not that great although it was not clear sometimes what model exactly they were talking about. In any case... I thought the built quality was excellent. Let's face it, it's not exactly a cheap bass so I was hoping it would at least be decent... and I was very pleased when it arrived. It's not heavy either (8.4 lbs) which was another concern...