Why become a member? ×

Schecter Model T Session

mcnach

Just now, Al Krow said:

If you fancy doing a recording  - it would be just GREAT to hear you playing the same track on your Model T, your Fender P, your Maruszczyk Jake P/JJ and your Stingray so we get to hear an A/B of the four basses. If you mange to upload something on YouTube as a Bass Shoot Out even better - I suspect you'll get a fair few hits (although not as many as the young lass playing a Yammy BB2024 on the Yammy thread :) )

Not as many hits? Ah, you haven't seen me! They ask me to play right at the back of the stage to avoid riots with women trying to climb up and get closer... it's a curse, but I live with it :P

I might do some recording, could be fun... however all these basses have completely different strings, so not sure how useful it'd be as a straight comparison, but could be fun.

Right now it's:

Model T: very new nickel Ernie Balls

Fender P: 3 year old stainless steel DR Fat Beams, I like them a lot but they have lost the very top by now.

Squier P: Fender Original 60s pickup, Status black nylon tapewounds

Maruszczyk P/JJ: Seymour Duncan SPB-1 replacement on the P. Original Maruszczyk nickels... they are very old and mellow and I like them as they are

Maruszczyk reverse P: Delano something or another, fresh DR Fat Beams

Stingray: two year old DR Fat beams... very mellow, but the preamp still extracts a lot of treble if/when I want to

EBMM SUB: one year old (or so) DR Fat Beams

we'll see...

@mcnach I agree it will be difficult to properly A/B them, the same strings on them or not, this nuances of how a person finger plucks, slaps, uses a pick with minor adjustments in how you blend it will never come out.

Its a bit soft, but I genuinely think the feel of the bass will being out a different way of playing.

To me what you have written is great and enough juice in there to warrant someone taking a ‘punt’ on a new one (like you have with a returns policy) or play one on the second hand market to see if they likey

52 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

@mcnach I agree it will be difficult to properly A/B them, the same strings on them or not, this nuances of how a person finger plucks, slaps, uses a pick with minor adjustments in how you blend it will never come out.

Its a bit soft, but I genuinely think the feel of the bass will being out a different way of playing.

To me what you have written is great and enough juice in there to warrant someone taking a ‘punt’ on a new one (like you have with a returns policy) or play one on the second hand market to see if they likey

Totally. They're good instruments, without a doubt. My 'niggles' were purely about whether this is the sound I want, and I should have started by saying that I don't normally get along with twin pickup basses, except things like the Warwick Corvette $$, where the two pickups are not at their 'usual' positions. Unfortunately these basses are not very commonly found in the second hand market, so if one really wants to try it, buying online and gamble is the only option. So the question is: do you think it will be a better bass than other similarly priced ones that you can find more easily? If the looks grab you, there's no question as there isn't really another one like it around. But if you just want a PJ style bass, there are lots of other options too. I have to say I like this better than the vast majority of PJ basses I've ever tried so far.

I played the Model T a bit more this morning and now I'm at 99% keeping it. It feels right for me. It's a lovely neck, I got it playing very nicely with pretty low action smoothly, no buzz, I can still dig in and will sound good... and it does sound good. Now that I know where the "sweet zone" is for me, so I don't need but to tweak very slightly the blend or treble controls... I'm pretty happy with the sound.

I'll take it to band rehearsal tonight and unless that reveals something negative, I'm keeping it.

• Like 2

I agree with all said above, but the flip side was that I was after a modern bright sounding p/j bass, so it completely worked for me.

It might be worth adding that the both pick ups on these are placed quite far back and close togeather. I believe that is why you may struggle to get a more vintage type sound from it without flats or semis.

It is an agressive bright sounding thing thats built like a tank too. Not finished exceptionally, but it has a look which is cool.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mcnach said:

Well... I've got the bass.

Today I was home at 4pm from work (today it was a very early start but literally 4min away from home, so it was nice to be home before the traffic even really got seriously bad).

It was doubly nice as I had arranged online to have the bass stay at the depot and for me to collect it. I received a confirmation with a note stating that they were open until 8pm and that if not collected today it'd be sent back. Well, they attempted to deliver anyway, and ended up leaving it with a neighbout. UKMAIL... I can't tell you just how many times you've failed me like this in the past... at least this time they actually left it somewhere I could get to it quickly, so l was lucky, but I'd have been really annoyed to go to the depot (13 miles away) to find they again said one thing but did another... 

Anyway... I got it out. I haven't weighed it but it's not heavy, which is a good thing. It does look as nice as in the photographs... or better. Mine has a very nice grain and I love the tint in person, very nice and warm. 

It had a rather high action for my liking, so before I even plugged it in I changed that. I had to lower the saddles quite a bit and tweak the truss rod more than I expected... so I was worried the high action was hiding uneven fretwork... but nope, I got it really nice and low and it looks like the frets are all nice and even, the nut is well cut, and it's a very nice neck to play. Pretty shallow profile.

Then I plug it in, with the preamp (Bass/Treble) set at the centre detent which I assume is flat, and both pickups on (blend control set at the middle)

And it's ok. 

Not great, not bad. OK. I'm very underwhelmed here, especially after all the anticipation.

There's some funky harsh midrange going on that I am not loving, especially slapped. Bass end of the P pickup was a bit too overpowering, perhaps due to my lowering the strings? I bring that side down a bit and things get better... but it's not a lovely tone. 

The bridge pickup... reminded me of why I didn't like a 75RI Jazz bass I had, which was equipped with a set of EMG J. They really are not my thing, and boosting bass a bit doesn't really make it thick enough, it still sounds way too clean for my liking with a lot of top end and some added low end on top... 

The neck pickup... hmm. Ok, I actually like the neck pickup a bit more. It's aggressive, and it has that mid-growl that I love on Precisions... but it's still a little 'unrefined'... so I turn down the treble a bit. NOW we are starting to get somewhere.

This bass comes with Ernie Ball nickels 45-105. They are not high tension, but when I use these strings I prefer their 45-100 set and only really after I've played them a bit. I really dislike the brightness they have when new. I generally hate new strings. I don't want them dead, but I struggle when I change strings until they are tamed a bit. So here we have a bass with strings brighter than I like, and pickups that are probably brighter, or at least with an extended top end compared to what I prefer... so not the best combination to impress me on a "first date".

I played a little more, turning down treble almost to max, and it is nicer but I'm not fully feeling it. I miss having a semiparametric mids control... the treble frequency is quite well chosen so when I cut it works the way I want it although it doesn't cut quite enough. The bass... I don't really feel like adding or removing. I wish it had a passive pone control and a semiparametric mids control instead.

At this point I look at it, put it down, and go away to do something else. I'm thinking that I should be very careful with it, not mark it in any way, because there's a good chance this bass will be returned: it is a perfectly fine bass... but I'm not really loving it and I don't see myself using it that much after the "novelty" wears off.

I'm pretty much sure that I will return it. But I decide to give myself until Monday to make up my mind (it just leaves me tonight and Wednesday night, and Sunday night, as I'm busy the rest of the time).

Then I have another go, after I've eaten. This time, crucially, I'm using backing tracks (some random funk/rock/reggae ones I find on youtube, as well as stuff from my own band). And now things start sounding better. 

About an hour and a half later... I'm leaning towards keeping it, but I'm still 100% sure.

These are my thoughts at the moment:

The bass feels very nice, the neck is just my kind of neck (I could do wider, but it's wide enough and it's shallow so it doesn't feel chunky but it's got "meat"). Cosmetically and physically I have no issues here. It's not the lightest bass but it's not a heavy bass at all, probably a bit lighter than my Stingray.

The preamp... I'm not a big fan of. The stacked knobs don't feel that great, a bit 'gritty' even if the operation is noise-free. The treble is just right in terms of the frequency centre that I like to cut, especially with new strings. I wish it cut cut a bit more than it does. The bass... seems a bit lower than I'd like... but then that's usually how I feel with most preamps. I miss having control over the mids. I'm used to the John East mids module, or the 2-band Stingray preamp which after years of use I instinctively know how to set so that I get the sound I want. This preamp doesn't seem as interactive as the Stingray one, but there's still some degree if interaction and I'm not yet familiar with it. As it is, I still would like to have a bit more control on the mids... and if this bass was to stay, I can see replacing the preamp in the future for a John East mids module, and using a passive tone control. But not in a hurry. I'd imagine most people would be more than happy with the EMG preamp, I think it's just me being almost obsessed by the John East preamps, of which I have a few :D)

The pickups... 

I still don't love the Jazz bridge. It's too clean and thin and I can't thicken it the way I want by adding bass to it the way I can on a J-Retro preamp with any other standard Jazz pickups I've tried. However... with both pickups on, you get a nice sound, with a bit more midrange than usual for a P/J combo but still somewhat scooped... but here is where the blend knob comes handy: just turn it a bit towards the bridge... and you gain clarity very nicely, still sounding fat and punchy. For THAT reason alone, the EMG Jazz deserves to stay. I'd never use it on its own, but it allows me to control the midrange when using both pickups, and it's what makes me not too worried about keeping it stock. It's a sound that on its own wasn't that nice.... but when playing along to backing tracks it started to make me smile. It sits very well in the mix, but it still has a nice presence.

The EMG P pickup... now, this is a LOVELY sound. It's not a traditional vintage Precision type of sound at all... but it still sounds like a Precision, and it has that low midrange growl... hmmm... This is a very good sound! No more to add... it's just a really good Precision sound. Aggressive, but taming the top end just sounds incredible. In the mix it sounds really really good. Powerful, strong presence, but not overpowering. 

It's the EMG P that probably swayed me the most towards keeping it. I'd probably use this bass as a Precision most of the time, and sometimes with both pickups on. But it makes me wonder... what if I just put an EMG P into my cheap but lovely to play Squier Mike Dirnt Precision? I suspect I'd end up with something I really like, and save a bunch of money. 

So, is it really worth it? Should I keep the Model T? I'm not sure.

It will not replace my Classic 50s Fender Precision, because this one has THE classic Precision sound. 

It will not replace my passive Maruszczyk Jake P/JJ, because this one has righteous funk and reggae sounds and the JJ pickup at the bridge is a very useful sound by itself... although it doesn't do very well the classic Precision sound.

But the EMG P on the Model T is completely grin-inducing once I tamed the treble a bit. I think once I put a set of stainless steel DR Fat Beams, and let them get 'funky' for a couple of months, the Model T could sound pretty awesome. But... the tonal adjustments onboard are not my favourite options, and I'll never know 100% until I use my preferred strings for a bit... Some argue that if you say "this bass is great but... " and then start saying how you'd shape its sound with EQ etc, that it's probably not a 'keeper' bass. And in my experience, the basses that are surviving any culls are the ones that felt and sounded right from the start, regardless whether the strings were my favourite, new or old...

It just seems that £700+ may be a little too much for an instrument that doesn't completely floor me (as nice as it is) when I really do not have a need for a bass like that right now.

So... I'll retire and meditate for a bit, then play some more... and see how I fee in a couple of days.

Amazing lowdown, thanks very much for that. 

I think you've persuaded me to at least definitely try one out before ordering anyway..which is clearly a good thing. 

I think one of my concerns seems like it's founded. It's that in America, this bass is £100-150 cheaper and maybe that is where it should be here. I'm considering a Maruszczyk Jake or something like it and it sounds like it might be more sensible to put this money towards one of those. I don't have a 'main' bass as such, just a couple of middling ones and this doesn't sound like it would stand too far above the others. 

I know what you mean about new strings, I'm the same. I would say though that with this your starting point should be "This sounds great", and then gets even better the more the strings get their 'character'. 

It really sounds like the bass would be ideal for someone who wants the particular sound it gives, or is ok with a few compromises to 'look the part'. Good to hear it looks as good as you were expecting and you didn't find any wet paint on the 'fake inlays' ha ha.

Thanks very much for the write up again. I'm still keen on it, but maybe in an, admiring across the room, sort of way for now. My bank manager thanks you. 

I'll be interested to hear how this develops. 

16 hours ago, mcnach said:

The neck pickup... hmm. Ok, I actually like the neck pickup a bit more. It's aggressive, and it has that mid-growl that I love on Precisions... but it's still a little 'unrefined'... so I turn down the treble a bit. NOW we are starting to get somewhere.

...pickups that are probably brighter, or at least with an extended top end compared to what I prefer... so not the best combination to impress me on a "first date".

I wish it had a passive tone control and a semiparametric mids control instead.

The EMG P pickup... now, this is a LOVELY sound. It's not a traditional vintage Precision type of sound at all... but it still sounds like a Precision, and it has that low midrange growl... hmmm... This is a very good sound! No more to add... it's just a really good Precision sound. Aggressive, but taming the top end just sounds incredible. In the mix it sounds really really good. Powerful, strong presence, but not overpowering. 

Perhaps unsurprisingly, this is very similar to my experience of the older, passive Model T - when I tried it in the shop, I couldn't quite get over the amount of honking midrange it had to spare. But then, that was the kind of thing I was looking for, so I rather fell in love with it there and then. In a band setting, I did find myself rolling off the tone control quite a bit more than normal; fortunately it's one of the more responsive passive tone controls I've had on a bass.

It's worth noting that the P pickup sits slightly further back than it would on a "standard" Precision, which might explain some of the extra bark - particularly as the passive Model T had Duncans instead of EMGs, and it sounds like you're describing a similar tone to the one I'm familiar with!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Horrorhiker said:

Amazing lowdown, thanks very much for that. 

I think you've persuaded me to at least definitely try one out before ordering anyway..which is clearly a good thing. 

I think one of my concerns seems like it's founded. It's that in America, this bass is £100-150 cheaper and maybe that is where it should be here. I'm considering a Maruszczyk Jake or something like it and it sounds like it might be more sensible to put this money towards one of those. I don't have a 'main' bass as such, just a couple of middling ones and this doesn't sound like it would stand too far above the others. 

I know what you mean about new strings, I'm the same. I would say though that with this your starting point should be "This sounds great", and then gets even better the more the strings get their 'character'. 

It really sounds like the bass would be ideal for someone who wants the particular sound it gives, or is ok with a few compromises to 'look the part'. Good to hear it looks as good as you were expecting and you didn't find any wet paint on the 'fake inlays' ha ha.

Thanks very much for the write up again. I'm still keen on it, but maybe in an, admiring across the room, sort of way for now. My bank manager thanks you. 

I'll be interested to hear how this develops. 

I took it to rehearsal today, very very very carefully, alongside my passive Maruszczyk P/JJ (a Jake).

I like the neck on the Model T better... even if the Jake's neck was specified by me and they built it just like I asked. I love it. It's a great neck... but the Model T is really really nice.

However... I think I'm going to send it back. When I finally get the sounds I'm after, it turns out that I'm making it sound like the Jake. The EMG P sounds very nice on the Model P, and that's something I never really loved on my Jake: the P pickup alone is ok but not smile-inducing like the EMG on the Model T.

The Model T is nice... but not nice enough for me to have two terribly similar basses... where the Jake wins with its double J and general vibe. I know the comparison today wasn't fair as the Jake has strings that feel and sound just right, while the Model T has strings that I dislike profoundly because they're way too bright... but it seems the character of the Model T is something I'm fighting against [*] while the Jake's character is more to my taste.

[*] nothing wrong with it, just a little too aggressive and bright for my liking (although the EMG P sounds great).

It's a shame... it's a really good looking bass and feels really nice to play.

10 hours ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

Perhaps unsurprisingly, this is very similar to my experience of the older, passive Model T - when I tried it in the shop, I couldn't quite get over the amount of honking midrange it had to spare. But then, that was the kind of thing I was looking for, so I rather fell in love with it there and then. In a band setting, I did find myself rolling off the tone control quite a bit more than normal; fortunately it's one of the more responsive passive tone controls I've had on a bass.

It's worth noting that the P pickup sits slightly further back than it would on a "standard" Precision, which might explain some of the extra bark - particularly as the passive Model T had Duncans instead of EMGs, and it sounds like you're describing a similar tone to the one I'm familiar with!

I am tempted to keep it... but removing that preamp and installing a 3-band John East U-Retro (which I already have in my drawer, doing nothing, waiting for the right bass) with its wonderful semiparametric mids control... I suspect that I would like the bass a lot more then. But it just seems to me I'm trying to make it sound like the Maruszczyk Jake I have... so what's the point?

I wish I had kept an older set of DR Fat Beams to try it with, as the right strings could transform the bass, perhaps... 

Hmmm...

7 hours ago, mcnach said:

I am tempted to keep it... but removing that preamp and installing a 3-band John East U-Retro (which I already have in my drawer, doing nothing, waiting for the right bass) with its wonderful semiparametric mids control... I suspect that I would like the bass a lot more then. But it just seems to me I'm trying to make it sound like the Maruszczyk Jake I have... so what's the point?

I wish I had kept an older set of DR Fat Beams to try it with, as the right strings could transform the bass, perhaps... 

Hmmm...

I sense that the Model T may be heading for the exit. But it's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. Right?

You ever been a fan of the Yammy BBs as another, but distinct and much loved, take on the P/J format?

7 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I sense that the Model T may be heading for the exit. But it's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. Right?

You ever been a fan of the Yammy BBs as another, but distinct and much loved, take on the P/J format?

Think we spoke about it in another thread but the BB734a has gone back to the top of my list now. Looks to be good bang for buck and a no brainer if you want a PJ. 

I'm tempted by a couple of cheaper basses, the Cort GB74 and the now obligatory Sires, but I think one of these will be a bit later on, and to supplement the BB as a practice/back up bass. I really want a keeper now after a lifetime of 'average' basses. That's the loose plan anyway. 

On 3/8/2018 at 08:37, Al Krow said:

well, I changed my mind. I'm keeping it. It's just too nice to play. :friends:

The Yamahas have an interesting look and sound good but they've never felt "right" when I tried them.

Edited by mcnach
  • Like 2

On 3/8/2018 at 15:56, Horrorhiker said:

Think we spoke about it in another thread but the BB734a has gone back to the top of my list now. Looks to be good bang for buck and a no brainer if you want a PJ. 

I'm tempted by a couple of cheaper basses, the Cort GB74 and the now obligatory Sires, but I think one of these will be a bit later on, and to supplement the BB as a practice/back up bass. I really want a keeper now after a lifetime of 'average' basses. That's the loose plan anyway. 

I had a Cort GB74. It had a slimmer neck than I like but it was a very well made bass. However the electronics were very disappointing, especially the preamp. Still... they're not that costly, and I got mine used for £150 (yup), a beautiful natural/maple one that weighed just over 7 lbs. 

The Sires... I have just tried a 5 string V7 (Jazz) and I thought it was incredible, especially considering the price, but even at a higher price. I have heard of them being heavy but this one was not overly heavy. Judging by the quality of that one, I'd definitely keep Sire in my radar. It was very very very nice.

The Sire P7 comes in some nice finishes... the least favourite of mine is the Tobacco sunburst... but it seems to have the J pickup farther from the bridge than the others, and that could be a very cool configuration.

252064-Andertons%20Studio-2017-11-07-094

On 3/8/2018 at 19:44, CameronJ said:

The simple solution is indeed a Yamaha BB.

However, for those of use who are still after this particular aesthetic (early 50’s slab PJ) it may have to be a Maruszczyk job...

That would be a good bass for sure, but it'll easily add another £500 or so, depending on options, than the Schecter. 

34 minutes ago, mcnach said:

That would be a good bass for sure, but it'll easily add another £500 or so, depending on options, than the Schecter. 

Agreed, but it may be worth it since it’s pretty much guaranteed you’ll get everything ou want and nothing you don’t?

39 minutes ago, mcnach said:

I had a Cort GB74. It had a slimmer neck than I like but it was a very well made bass. However the electronics were very disappointing, especially the preamp. Still... they're not that costly, and I got mine used for £150 (yup), a beautiful natural/maple one that weighed just over 7 lbs. 

The Sires... I have just tried a 5 string V7 (Jazz) and I thought it was incredible, especially considering the price, but even at a higher price. I have heard of them being heavy but this one was not overly heavy. Judging by the quality of that one, I'd definitely keep Sire in my radar. It was very very very nice.

The Sire P7 comes in some nice finishes... the least favourite of mine is the Tobacco sunburst... but it seems to have the J pickup farther from the bridge than the others, and that could be a very cool configuration.

That’s actually my favourite finish for the V7/P7s! Just goes to show...one man’s trash is another man’s treasure :P

1 hour ago, mcnach said:

Ah cheers. Food for thought there. 

On GAK at the moment, you can pre-oder a Yamaha BB734a for about £630.. 

That made me twitch a bit but I'm waiting for some overtime to come through at the end of the month so im holding my nerve, plus its ordering from GAK which can be...eventful. Its also very tempting to just order a Sire based on Feedback. I'd get the Natural Ash P7. 

150 for that Cort sounds like a bit of a steal. Im seduced by the wood grain and clear scratch plate, but again reviews are very good. 

I'm using one of the new Rockbasses at the moment. Im trying to force myself to love it but can't, but am making a little headway and am currently on 'quite like it' so its taking the heat off. Just have to avoid alcohol and arguments with the wife..the two things that make me click 'add to basket' quickest. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/7/2018 at 15:08, EliasMooseblaster said:

True. About half an inch!

UPDATE: Model T Session RAWKS!!!

It's been a week now... and the initial doubts are well and truly over.

Once I was convinced that I wanted it, I lost caution (I wanted to keep it pristine and clean in case I returned it) and really started to play it in earnest... and further adjusted the neck and pickup heights.

Adjusting the pickup heights had quite a profound effect... and I can say that this is a great bass indeed. I know that pickup height is pretty important, but it seems to have much more of an effect on these EMG pickups (active) than on passive pickups.

I've got it now pretty balanced across strings, and also between pickups. Well, no, the P is a bit louder... but I decided I wouldn't really play the J on its own, so I set the P first (did I say earlier just how great these EMG P pickups are???) and then adjusted the J so that the blend sounded good to me. The J is a bit quieter than the P, but boosting bass a bit gives me a pretty useable sound. As it stands, there are 4 basic tones that I really like and are easy to get to simply by using the blend control (I keep the bass EQ flat and the treble cut about half way). 

My favourite sounds are, in order:

1) Blend all the way towards the P. It's not a classic Precision sound, but it's a very nice and growly Precision sound. Finger style it has very good definition and I can make it more or less aggressive by dialling in more or less treble. Pretty cool slap tone too. 

2) Blend set to centre detent and then a *tiny bit* towards the bridge. This way both pickups are on, but the bridge adds extra definition and compensates for the natural mid scoop you get with two pickups on. It sounds fat, defined and refined. Nice low growl. Cool funk sound, turn treble all the way off... hmmm. Nice slapped too.

3) Blend set to centre detent and then a *tiny bit* towards the neck. It's almost a variation of the P alone sound, a bit scooped in the mids, just a bit... nice slap sound.

4) Blend set to centre detent. The most mid-scoop setting, even if it still retains a lot of presence compared to your typical Jazz or PJ. I would not use this in a busy mix with lots of other instruments competing for bass, but in a sparse mix it will sound thick and glorious.

Yes, I'm liking this bass a lot.

I've got a set of DR Sun Beams (45-100) to try on the bass, as I like a more flexible/compliant string... I'll have to tame the initial zing by playing the hell out of it, but it doesn't seem like a chore ;)

So, if you were dismissing this bass from the race after my initial comments... I think you should put it back in. However, do so only if you are not after a traditional PJ type of sound. These EMGs are not going to give you a traditional passive bass type of sound, despite the look of the bass. It is a very good sound, 'though! And the neck is fantastic. It's just a bit slimmer than my 2002 Stingray. Nominally it's just 1mm difference in width, but it's also a little bit shallower, which makes it feel clearly slimmer but nothing like a Jazz (which would be a deal breaker for me). If it were lacquered it would be perfect (I had my Stingray's neck lacquered)... but no biggie.

• Like 1

Time is a great healer, just goes to show sometimes we need to let things bed in.

One if my basses I sort of struggled with over a period of months, and if I was in more of a flippant mood could have gone, but something clicked all of a sudden and it was a lightbulb moment.

Congrats!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

MODEL-T%205%20ANS%20TILT.png

I'm not a five string player, and I usually find a lot of fivers to be quite ugly - but that is really quite attractive! :heart: There is something about its shape that is very appealing and just works...

Edited by Conan
  • Like 1